3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live  (Read 10782 times)

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5 pines farm 2012 semi live
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Good stuff! Good luck this year
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2012, 04:05:00 PM »
it got cold last night! but the old fire box I got for 45 bucks on Craig's list kept the Yurt warm and toasty  
Make a life, not a living

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2012, 04:07:00 PM »
i once again made my way up the old  logging trail this time heading to the left and on up into the middle bluff on my farm. I sat a stand called the "Pususta" stand. Another one named after a friend who killed the first deer out of it.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
This stand over looks one of the first food plots i created on the farm. it sits on top of a bluff where I dropped some trees and then had a small dozer come in and scrape away the stumps.
  I chose this spot as it was some what flat to begin with and  there was a hub of deer trails here originally.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
its wasn't long before I saw the first deer. The hillside is rather open here and I saw the doe and her fawn at about 45 yards as she made her way along a side hill trail. They ended up right behind me but offered no shot. There is a thick cedar hillside about 100 yards further down the trail to which they were headed to sleep . A little later three deer entered the food plot.one was a buck! he had a single spike about 4inches long! Ha finally saw a male deer!. After that it was quite still except for a flock of Tom's that let loose with a couple of gobbles from the neighbors side of the fence.

I took a short cut home and dropped straight down off the bluff  

this is a turnip field i will be hunting near tonight

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
i'm enjoying reading this thread. keep it coming.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
up above the turnip field is a narrow old pasture, the shape of a rectangle and about the size of three football fields in length. We call it Apple alley  because there are numerous old wild apple trees spread out the length of the pasture. Up on the upper end i have established another small clover plot. The thermals work overtime on this bluff side so you have to hunt at the bottom in the evening if at all. I sat in a ladder stand in an old knarley birch tree near the bottom where the hill gets steeper and then drops down to the turnips. the deer come off the top of the bluff and work their way down, first in the clover, then the apples and finally down to the field. Tonight I saw two identical 6 point bucks. At first I thought it was just one. He came from the clover and stopped at a crab apple tree and stood on his hind legs trying to get the lowest hanging fruit. Then he disappeared for a minute and returned. Except the when he returned it was the other. Then  the first stepped back and they stood side by side about 25 yards up hill from me.  one butted the other with his head gear and he trotted past. The other turned and went back in to the apples not to be seen again.  that all happened before 6 pm.  After that no deer at least not close any way. I'll post pictures tomorrow got to hit the hay now

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Enjoying following along.  The yurt is awesome!
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
Enjoying this a lot   Keep it up    THANX  again !
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2012, 11:14:00 PM »
I suspect there will be a picture of a dead deer before this gets to 12 pages! Enjoying it!
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
Thanks guys! Yes the yurt is a special space for sure!!  Here are some photos from last night.

the trail into Apple Alley  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
the octopus tree  

tree stand in old birch ( I wear light colors when i hunt in this spot

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
So this morning I decided to take it easy and hunted a stand no more than 300 yards up hill from the Yurt's door.  It was starting to get windy . you could hear the roar of the wind up on the bluff top. So this stand is very low and is some what protected from the wind. It in an old cedar.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
I had literally just crawled up, hung up the bow and sat down and turned off the headlamp. Had my hat in my hand . Is that a deer walking to me?  sure enough the foot steps are coming closer and closer and finally its right under  me. It must have heard me and came to see if i was a deer looking for another to hang with. I could just barely make out its shape in the dark. It hung around for a couple of minutes but must have caught a molecule of my smell as it spooked out from under me and then walked off at a fast walk. And that was it for the am. The wind has really come up strong and its going to be tuff to pick a place to go tonight.

I got a new balaclava yesterday. I think it make my eyes really pop, ey?  
ZOMBIE BOWHUNTER  

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2012, 04:53:00 AM »
Keep it coming.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2012, 05:11:00 AM »
Great read along!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2012, 12:22:00 PM »
:campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
what a morning I  had! I wasn't able to hunt last night due to the late arrival of a friend here to hunt with  me and his two brothers who are due to arrive tomorrow. We hunt this weekend together every year. They still hunt with compounds and I will have them plinking arrows with recurves before this weekend is over.

Bwana and I left the Yurt at 5.30 am. We had a clear sky and light Westerly winds perfect for hunting two stand not yet hunted from this year.

I dropped Bwana off on a ridge above the turnip field and we whispered our good lucks. The plan was to sit until 9 am and then i would slowly hunt his way and pick him up on my way past.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by LITTLEBIGMAN:
what a morning I  had!  
I have a feeling this is about to get really good.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
I  sneaked through the food plot where the Pususta stand is and got on the trail on the north side to the portable stand  20 feet up in an Oak on the side  of the ridge. There is a very heavy deer trail 12 yards away on the down ridge side of this tree. I am looking to the NW in the direction the deer should be traveling as they come out of the neighbor's cow pasture and the cut corn field on the pastures farther side.

The sun was just breaking the Eastern horizon with the sun beams angling low and lighting up the trees north and west of me. The slight breeze is in my face. I see a flash of movement 100 yards up near the fence line where the pasture begins.  The low angle of the sun has acted like a beacon reflecting off antlers and hide. The deer is running towards me and stops 50 yards out. He is on the trail I want him to be. A  beautiful 8 point. He starts to walk forward and then stops right where I want him to stop. Tilts his head back and sniffs the air current. He doesn't look up. He take a step forward and turns to look downhill. He is magnificent. I stare a hole in his chest where the arrow should go. I decide to let him pass.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©