3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: On the ground again....  (Read 981 times)

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: On the ground again....
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
On the ground again as always any more.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Barry Winner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
My goal is the same as yours.  Made a ghillie suit this summer and plan on being grounded all season long.  My compounder friends think I'm crazy, but I want to do it my way.  Good luck to you!
HH Tembo [email protected]
HH Cheetah [email protected]
Martin Savannah [email protected]
Trying to build selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of MD
Mayberry Archers

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
I plan on hunting a couple spots from the ground this season. Most likely in the afternoons when I want to just ease in and hunt the edge of a soybean field behind my house.

Saw this one back there yesterday about dark and this is the only picture I could get. He dropped over the hill and I didn't want to spook him trying for another.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
This will be my second season ground hunting, I learned a few things last year and have improved my setups for this year.

I'm getting to old to be falling out of trees !

Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Will be splitting my time from tree to ground now I have a ghillie suit. Once it snows I'm on the ground for the rest of the season.
The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
I plan on doing about half my hunting this year from the ground and the other half from the stand.
James Kerr

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
I'm going to give it an honest effort this year. In the past I've tried a day or two on the ground and then I'd give up on it and go back to the tree tops. I didn't sell my climber, YET, but I think this will be the year that I stick it out.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
Great goal! My success from the ground has not been as productive as from a tree, but my seasons have become more enjoyable and less work than dragging tree stands around.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
I have found that the freedom of ground hunting way is way more enjoyable than being stuck in a tree !

I have never used a climber, always a permanent mount or ladder stand the last 20 years. With that said, I would set up my ladder & leave it in the same spot all season (I hunt my own private property) if the wind was not in my favor I was in trouble, if I didn't pick a good location I again was in trouble. I guess I could of set up 20 stands for every situation, but it is way cheaper & easier (no dragging stands around banging & clanging thru the woods) to hunt the ground.

I'm free to hunt every inch of my woods now, I have even tried stalking last year (wasn't successful, but sure was fun) as previously I wouldn't get out of that tree for nothing !

I have found better spots in my woods as I am free to hunt in the thick brush where a tree stand wouldn't work the best due to small trees & visibility.

Just saying, I love the freedom of being stand free ! I have been in a tree stand for over 30 years (so I know what it means to be like a dog tied to a tree ! ) I didn't know the freedom & other opportunities I was missing.  

Plus, like I said above, I'm getting too old to be falling out of trees !

Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
100% on the ground for me. I have a climber but treestands aren't for me!
Kota Prairie Fire 55@28 60"
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 56@28 58"
Treadway Black Swamp 52@28 58"

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
I am going to hunt some from the ground this year. Just built a natural blind today.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Ditto Ron W, Waldrop PAC seat, home made ghillie and a natural blind Oct 1. I'm ready boys!
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
forever

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
I hunted out of the ground blind today and am doing so fairly frequently now. In the past I hunted from tree stands almost 100% of the time, but Father Time is beginning to suggest that I don't climb trees so much any more.
Sam

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
I too plan on hunting from the ground this year.I did last year, unsuccessful if you look at my freezer.I used a pignut hickory self bow and like I said unsuccessful by many counts, but there was this one stalk across a field with very little vegetation , the wind was in my face, didn't think I had a chance at first narrowed the gap from about 120 yds down to about 22yds nice public land buck, unable to finish the deal but that was before my crooked stic and a lot more practice, this year I,m ready!!!Oh yeah did I mention I got my great shooting crooked stic longbow off this site on a trade for my last treestand, just maybe was meant to be, but I still got my shoes. We'll see!!!! Good luck 3Feathers look forward to some pics.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline Jack Ripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »
I have tree stands all over my property in east Texas, and I never sit in them in bow season.The leaves don't fall till end of november. You go ten feet up a tree and you can't see anything in those thickets where deer like to travel. I will always bow hunt on the ground. I use a ground blind and I have one of those 3D leaf suits. I can get real close but you gotta be real still. We have Gas wells on our land and there is alot of human activity and scent all the time. So scent is not much of an issue the deer never spook even when they smell you.
Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room.

Offline GANDGOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Have a camo umbrella and a pacseat. Ready to GO!!!  :goldtooth:
3 pc. Morrison Shawnee 60" 51#
3 pc. Shafer Silvertip 62" 48#
1 pc. Sandy Biles Super Xt 47#
3 pc. A&H ACS 62" 48#
3 pc. Das Dalaa 60" 48#

For GOD so Loved the world. He GAVE His Only Son...John 3:16.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
I'll be ground pounding. Already have 11 days looking for Rocky Mt. ghosts sometimes known as elk, but I'm giving them a break next week to do some whitetail ground hunting.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Hunted on the ground last season and connected with one. Plan on hunting the ground only this year.

Really is alot of fun being down at their level.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
I have always hunted from treestands almost exclusively but when the conditions are right this year, I'm gonna do a little slipping around on the ground. Just after a rain when the wind is gusty and things like that when the deer arent gonna move anyway.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©