3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: elk adventure from the land of enchantment  (Read 1281 times)

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: elk adventure from the land of enchantment
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
:campfire:    :dunno:

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Sorry Guys My puter started doing some weird stuff yesterday freezing up and flat out not working I think I got it figured out   :pray:

After a fine meal I assembled my bow.I was using my 65# bighorn I was shooting it well all summer.

The first morning was mostly uneventful. The forest was just spooky quiet,the birds were not even talking.So about 10 we called lunch and decided to check a few water holes for the evening hunt.

It didn't take to long to find fresh elk sign.This country is a tinder box and is in bad need of water.So the water holes were being hit hard by the local wildlife.It wasn't very long before I had to many choice for the evening hunt.

Not a ton of water but there were several fresh bull track on this bench.
Jeff Couture

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
Well I desided to stay on this upper bench as there was just to much sign to ignore.My second choice was a drinker about a quarter of a mile to the north.The bulls were drinking there and there were several wallows around it.So Perry and I set up a pop up blind and let one of his client sit it.(he was never bow hunted elk before so I offered it to him)

Well I saw nothing and the newbe had 2 different bulls in the wallow @ 22 yds and a third bull behind the blind about 40 yds."Staring at the blind" according to him.When we picked him up I saw that he had all the windows open. I think he pooped himself having 3 bulls that close.He never loosed an arrow.But I knew were I'd be tomorrow.
Jeff Couture

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »

One from inside looking out at the drinker there are 9 wallows within 30 yds of this blind.I've got a bunch of video but the way this puter is acting I think I'll stick with the stills.
Jeff Couture

Offline danderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
waiting with baited breath for more pics brotha!
BW SAX Kingwood 54#

1967 Bear Super Kodiak 50#

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
:campfire:
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I think you know how it ends Mr Anderson.
Jeff Couture

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Over the next few days the elk were getting a bit more vocal but would quit early.Most mornings they were bedded by 8.I personally  
don't like to bother them in there beds.I tend to use the late morning and scout to figure out an evening ambush.
Jeff Couture

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
These elk were still in bachelor groups and all seemed to be hanging in the same couple of drainages.We were getting close.we just needed a bit of luck.

Headed up for an evening hunt..About 300 yds after I snapped this photo I bumped a small heard of bedded elk.They jumped I hit the deck and they let me take 14 minutes of video but did manage a few stills.Hope they show.

Jeff Couture

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 09:55:00 PM »
Nice!

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Now that's what I'm taking about.    :coffee:
The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
On about the 4th day I found myself back at camp and was doing a little shooting when one of the guides ask to take a few shots and mentioned that he always wanted a Black Widow,but his archery shop only carried hi-tech stuff.I said no problem sir I just happen to have one in my bow case so it got strung up and the shoot out was on. Sorry guys no stills of the shoot out we were having way to much fun.I really thought that widow was going to end up in Springerville AZ. Kenny took to that bow like a fish does to water.

He told me that the only way he would give it back to me was if I finished the hunt with it.So I did.
Jeff Couture

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Only problem was I forgot to pack the quiver bolts Soooo a bit of cowboy engineering and vwa la. One semi modified GFA QUIVER.Just cut the lanyard string on a cow call, a few knots,the strap off my video camera and there you have it.

To be honest I never liked this type of quiver in the catalog,However after a few days of use It's my new favorite.Thank you G Fred I never should have doubted.I'll be ordering the real deal very shortly     :thumbsup:
Jeff Couture

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
Well my buddy Kenny must have known something that I didn't because when I started carrying that widow elk activity picked up tenfold.We had several very close encounters but for one reason or another we could not seal the deal.It still didn't matter I was elk hunting with an awesome friend and loving every single second of it.
Jeff Couture

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
About the 6th day We put a semi vocal bull to bed above a small tank and drinker that the elk were hammering big time.there is a ground blind there that I had rebuilt just prior to the season opening.And we had 2 clients sit it and both said they had seen elk but nothing came in to drink.

Haein in about 100 pm when I got to the blind I couldn't believe my eyes.These 2 guys had removed all the back drop and side  cover around the blind.Mann I was muttering some things that I can't print here    :banghead:      :banghead:     :banghead:  It's like babysitting some days.
Jeff Couture

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 11:05:00 PM »
Well I was there so it was time for a quick redo And I was soon to regret my hasty rebuilding techniques.    "[dntthnk]"  

After everything was set I got all settled and decided to draw my bow when I realized my lower limb was awfully close to contacting the inside wall of the blind.Just keep the bow more vertical and you'll be fine said the voice in my head it's elk thirty hurry up and get settled.But the other voice was saying redo your window or it could cost you.

Dam it was perfect on the first build.Man was I cussing clients in my head.They told me later they couldn't see enough country.My response was something like "next time book a bleeping photo safari not a bow hunt"
Jeff Couture

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »

A view from inside the blind Yes video camera and all,man this part is hard to type brings back some bad visions.

Guess I'll just cut to the chase and say that I had a solid 360 class bull come to the drinker and gave me the shot at 19 yds.My lower limb hit the blind and the arrow flew high and wide and cut the bull behind the ear.I was sick to my stomach.My fault nobody to blame but me.    :knothead:      :banghead:      "[dntthnk]"    :bang head:

All on video to rubb salt into the festering wound.

We spent the next morning dry tracking him and knew he would be  
alright except for a sore spot on his neck.

Perry actually sent me some video of him yesterday, a missing patch of hair behind his left ear.Still doesn't make it any easier to swallow
Jeff Couture

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
Sorry guys goto get some shut eye, very early am tomorrow stay tuned.
Jeff Couture

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 01:52:00 AM »
Cool stuff so far.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline stocker56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
Jeff, those type of misses are hard to swallow but the good news is nothing bad happened that can't be fixed. Great story and thanks for taking us with you.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
The brotherhood of man is taken too lightly. The brotherhood of the bow is not. --- Craig Stocker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©