3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Videos and pics from hunts that ALMOST worked out? Post up and tell a story.  (Read 147 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
I know many people only post video and pics if the hunt was successful in terms of taking an animal. There seems to be an exception to this for some of the western hunts that have been posted.

I was thinking it would still be cool to see some video or pics from other hunts that came close, but didn't end with an animal coming home. I just like seeing wildlife and hearing stories from hunts.Getting close can be as exciting as closing the deal at times!

So... if you have some videos or pics of "the one that got away", lets see 'em! Tell your story, post pics, post a video,  about that close encounter that is burned in your mind.

God Bless,
Charlie

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter

As a ground hunter, I spook alot of deer. This one is another one that winded me. Well..... I spooked another one!   :rolleyes:
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
That is a beautiful buck. Do you use a ghillie?

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
what a pig!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
No ghillie.  I like to use whatever I can to hide behind.  Trees, ravines, drainages, roundbales, ect.  I have done really well in standing corn and golden rod fields. But like I said earlier,  I spook alot of deer. This another photo of one that I just couldn't get close enough to.  80 yds.  I spooked him too!
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice bucks! I just changed my background on my screen to the top picture of the buck running off. I have seen too many deer running away like that. Not usually that big though!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone else?

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
This is my story.
Early November 2005 at Deer camp by myself in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It was around the 5th or 6th, to the best of my recollection. It was getting around 3:30 pm, time to turn the football game from the radio off (no TV in the camper), grab the Howard Hill longbow, quiver with 5 arrows and head to the tree stand. Cloudy light west wind, perfect for the stand at the north west corner of the property (this was 3 years before the area was clear cut). It was a short slow walk about 10 minutes eyes looking for any movement. No signs of any life so once at the stand time to get up 7 steps and sit still and quiet waiting for the woods to wake up. After a short while the birds are chirping and the squirrels are running around through the leaves making racket for a run of the mill evening in the hardwoods. No signs of any deer but a few grouse come strutting by giving thought to loose an arrow for a little game for the table but the thought is it is not enough to warrant alarm with the shot. Time goes by with the wounder full sounds of nature that I live for. The hour is getting late and "Dark thirty" is getting near as the sound of hooves are on the leaves and out of the corner of my eye here comes a grey long necked doe. The heart starts beating faster as anticipation of the shot races through the mind as the doe comes closer and closer with no indication of the Hunter in the tree without movement. Quiet breathing to try and compose oneself for the shot as it seems the world can hear the heartbeat from adrenaline. One more step, for I was moving the Longbow ever so slowly and beginning to draw as not to be detected. Concentrating on the one hair in the boiler room, Full Draw and LOOSE. Perfect hit broadside boiler room. The Doe bolts right to the thicket, Lose sight as man it is getting dark and crashing sounds. I always like to wait at least an hour to make sure. After 15 minutes I climb down as quiet as possible to not alarm as I backed out back to the camper to get some dinner then a good light for the tracking job ahead. Heated up some stew for a quick bite and heard the distress full sound of rain. The rain got harder and harder then pouring. I have been here a time or to so have to play it out. Put on the rain gear and head out. in the downpour. Go to where I believe I seen the doe bolt. No sign only seeing rain drops. Going back to the spot of the shot for any sign and no matter how bright of a light to track this had to be given up until daybreak. Headed back to the camper turning the generator on to dry off and recount the days events trying to get my mind off of the retrieval of the doe listening to the football scores. As I stated, I have been in this predicament a few times and finding the game trying to reassure myself but alas worry still sets in. A long night, waking and hearing the rain stop holding off for daylight. Up early having coffee before the alarm goes off. Well I have another tag so time to get into the stand and wait for enough daylight to get to tracking. For some strange reason when the woods are waking up and coming alive, I am calm and this is what feeling alive is about. There is enough light for the job ahead so I climb down from the stand and go to where the shot connected. Not much sign with all the rain but some hair to get the spirits up. Time to get with it and go directly toward the thicket where she made her dash. Looking around under a spruce a big drop of blood and another, going in the direction as I look straight ahead I can see the Doe. As I start quickly heading there I see the hind quarters eaten out, the guts and up the back. Dammed Coyotes got my prize. The cycle of life I guess, it is there back yard. That was one hard pill to swallow. Was it successful or not. It is part of hunting that we do not forget and still glad I was there hunting and experiencing.

...Mark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©