3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Oh NO! Not again! Shoulder!  (Read 230 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh NO! Not again! Shoulder!
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
2 1/2 years ago, I blew out my right shoulder (I'm a southpaw) working on cleaning up storm damage. I ended up with tendonitis along the rotator cuff. I couldn't shoot for 14 months.

Day before yesterday, while shooting I started having some pain in my left shoulder.  If feels eerily similar to the pain I felt then.

With bow season 3 weeks away (actually 4 weeks, I don't get to hunt any the first week) I've halted my daily shooting.  Gonna give it a week and see how it feels next Saturday.

Anyone got any other advice?

Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oh NO! Not again! Shoulder!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
See the doc!
Sam

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »
Until you get to the doctor, start the Ibuprofen around the clock now and ice twice a day for 20 min at a time. And leave the shooting alone until you can move your shoulder without pain. I have two bad shoulders and have to be somewhat careful with them. I follow the above regimen when they start to get sore. That is also why I shoot a 50-53 pound bow. That weight is fairly easy for me to draw.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
See a doctor yet an mri. Indian clubs have helped me hut everyone is different. My lefts shoulder has severe damage to the cartiledge. The doctor took a look at the x rays and said hr couldn't do anything but I can pull with my left so now im a southpaw.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline NJWoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
I use aspirin as an anti-inflammatory, I think it's safer for the gut (but I'm not a doctor!). I think you're going to need more than a week's rest. Try taking some surgical tubing or other elastic tied in a loop to simulate pulling a bow- at much lower weight, of course. You'll be exercising the muscles, but more importantly, it will safely tell you whether you can draw without pain.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
That is why I shoot 49# instead of the 63# I shot for many years
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
drop down in poundage your Body will thank you. and you will be able to continue shooting   :thumbsup:    :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »
It could be that your joint has slid a little bit. A chiropractor can help that, if you strained a tendon at the same time, ice, rest and getting back into using it a little bit at a time will prevent further injury. Starting with just gentle stretching motion before loading it up with much resistance. I have had surgery suggested twice and went the less invasive route successfully. While pain killers can mask the pain, they don't help if something is torn or out of place.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
If the prognosis is "tendonitis" you will be hunting in no time. If that is the case research shoulder stretches, that is what you will need to do to rid yourself of that.  
 Back when men did overhead presses, shoulder injuries were as rare as deer during deer season. Shoulder Chest and Back exercises will give your shoulder "girdles" balance, power, injury prevention, and stamina.
Bow weight, a weight that does not cause your muscles to recoil, retract, cinch, or compress. You should have a feeling of "circulation" at full draw, not contraction and stiffness.
   That last part is probably the most important part of this post.
Good luck, and remember 40# @27 a 450g arrow  kills most chest hit animals.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Go see a Dr. and get an MRI. No amount of OTC pain pills or chiropractors can fix things like bone spurs shredding your rotator cuff.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
Good advice above. I've been out since January. I shot a few times but am not healing. Right now, doc says no drawing a bow for AT LEAST 3 more months. BE CAREFUL!
David M. Conroy

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
To back up Swampthings comment..."Good luck, and remember 40# @27 a 450g arrow kills most chest hit animals", so far, I'm 100% on complete passthru's on whitetails with 40-42lbs and a 500-550gr arrow.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
See your doctor and if you need to an Orthopedic Doctor do the necessary research and get one that specializes in shoulders.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
Swampthing's dead-on with the strength training advice. I've worked construction for 30+ years and firmly believe that the only way to prevent joint injuries is to strengthen the muscles that support them. Get a diagnosis, get healed, then do whatever it takes to build up the strength to continue doing the things you love.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©