3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back Quiver  (Read 612 times)

Offline PA-Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
Back Quiver
« on: September 16, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
I want to go to a back quiver for hunting. What is everyone else useing? Any suggestions or pictures would be great.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back Quiver
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 09:11:00 AM »
Back quives take some getting used to, and they tend to let the arrows (feathers) make some noise.  That said, they are a lot of fun and I still use mine a lot, especially for small game hunting.

Mine is a standard Hill style leather quiver.

I also have a couple Rancho style (based off the St Charles quiver design) and they work fine but take some getting used to.

There are several other "back quiver" designs made that are awesome looking but functionally different than those above.

Get one of each and decide for yourself !

ChuckC

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
I like (& use) the catquiver, no arrow rattling, arrows easy to get to, bright feathers are hidden & It has a little pouch to store things in.

Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
I use the thin leather one from Hill archery.  Once broken in and used correctly it is quiet and quick.  Its all i use now.  Only draw back is that you only can use 2 blade head.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Check out Safarituff's Duiker or Arrowmaster.  For all intents and purposes a combo back/side quiver, broadhead friendly and much less drawing motion.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
+1 for the Arrowmaster. I've got a Bear back quiver and the Arrowmaster and hands down, the Arrowmaster.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
I just made a back quiver last week I used the plans in TBB3 worked great I really like it and made it big enuff for.lots of arrows cant wait to go rabit huntin

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
I use a leather back quiver from Neet Traditions and a Howard Hill quiver most of the time when hunting. They will allow arrows to rattle, but I remember an article I read years ago that suggested if you hear yours arrows rattle, you are moving too fast.

Noise is not as big an issue with me, because I don't generally spot and stalk. So I only have to worry about the noise while walking in to my stand.
Sam

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
I have been using the GFA quiver strapped to the right side of my back and have liked it so far.

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Mini-Catquiver
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline MonRiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
I've used a back quiver when I hunted years ago.  Never could figure out what to do with the broadheads--I actually made individual sheaths for them.

I'm converting a cheap Allen bow quiver to an GFA style for this season.  But I'll probably still use the back quiver for anything non-broadhead related.
Shooting a vintage Bear Grizzly makes me smile.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 11:39:00 PM »
When I'm not using a bowquiver, it's a Catquiver for me.  I tried a traditional back quiver a few times, but after having the arrows wanting to fall out every time I bent over, I gave it up.  If I were going to start using one, I'd DEFINITELY follow Howard Hill's advice and get one that was pliable, so that the leather creasing at your back holds the arrows in when you bend over and around.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 12:08:00 AM »
I use a well wron in back quiver a lot and have likley done nearly all mu hutning with one over the past twenty five years ...

never had a problem with arrows falling out or noise .........

Mind you , since I have had my Arrowmaster my bck qiuver had been on holiday
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
i use a side quiver that i made myself it work ok i have made a lot of quivers in the past back quivers side quivers and lakota quivers i think it is a personal thing as to what you feel comfortable with   :thumbsup:    :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
I Use  both the Cat quiver and a  Howard Hill back quiver  Like them both . If i'm going out  ALL DAY and its  small-game season besides deer, I like the   Hill quiver cause I carry more arrows that way , for anything that comes along .
 If i'm going out just for a bit   or to sit for a few hours I usually use the cat quiver .  
    The  Hill style quiver is its set at the right angle and if its kept soft  with oiling it will "collapse"  a bit   around the arrows and they will carry very quiet .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
There have been lots of threads about back quivers--nothing much simpler BUT they have to be made right and conform well to your back. If arrows are banging around, rattling, falling out when you bend over, etc., etc., then you have the wrong back quiver.  Simple as that.  No such troubles with mine. If a quiver is properly made of the right leather, you won't need oats, fleece or anything else for them to be a pleasure to use.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
David Mitchell, which quivers do you use and reccomend ?

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
My favorite of all the ones I've tried is my Dave Wallace quiver.  Dave is a longbow maker and IBO longbow champion who hunts exclusively with his back quiver so he knows what works in the woods and what doesn't.  My quiver is not heavy, the strap is just right to keep the arrows tilted at the right angle to be easily reached but stay quiet, and the leather conforms nicely to my back.  The leather thongs allow me to tie a shirt or jacket to the quiver if I want to during the day. It was patterened after an old John Schulz quiver Dave had.

The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
Ok guys and Gals....
    Im probaly will catch some slack for what I'm about to say, but hey I'm grown up....
    PA-Spot ask about "Back Quivers" and then most of you give him advice about everything but, Back Quivers....
    As Mr Mitchel wrote above, A Back Quiver that is set up right is a pleasure to use, Yes they need to be made right, the strap needs to be positioned in the right spot....
    They need to conform to your back, You need to know the basics of useing one....
    I have never used one of Mr. Wallces Back Quivers, So I cannot vouce for his....Because I have only used ones of my own design....
    Plenty of people here on Trad Gang can vouch for them....
    All I'm getting at is, if a person ask about a specific item and you have experience with it, good, don't try and stear them away from what there asking about....
    Back Quivers have been around for a long time for a reason, And they scream, Traditional Archery....
    End of rant, enough said....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline runningbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
I'm following this thread.  I recently started shooting a long bow after 30 years with a compound. I realized that when I dream at night I was dreaming of shooting a long bow even though I had not shot one since I was 11.  I also know I must have a back quiver to complete my dream.  

A couple concerns.  on a lot of hunts I must use a backpack.  Especially Javelina hunting, I have a 2 or 3 mile hike into the hills in January.  temps range from 10-85 degrees.  

Are most of them easy to adjust to your body? I'm shooting left handed so do you order a left handed back quiver?  

looking forward to following this.  And again, I will be using a back quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©