3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mahaska bows  (Read 322 times)

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
Mahaska bows
« on: September 16, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Who uses them. How do you like them. Show me some pics. I have never shot one but would live to.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
Re: Mahaska bows
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
I have shot a few but never owned one. I have a little draw and shoot shorter bows. Very high quality and great shooters!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
I had one and liked it.  Dacron strings only.  It's a nice shooting bow.  I can't remember why I sold it.  I was in a buying and selling frenzy a few years ago.

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Do a search for them on the pow wow. There have been several threads that should be helpful to you!
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
Kent is a great guy.  My first traditional bow was a Mahaska that I bought in college.  It was fantastic.  Killed my first deer with a recurve with that bow.  Then I ordered another one. Killed plenty of critters with that bow too.  They are nothing fancy but they do what is expected of a good hunting bow.  I sold both of them when I bought a bow from a different bowyer and I have regretted it ever since.  Everytime I see a pic of someone with a Mahaska, I always look to see if it is one of my old ones.  I'd pay twice what I paid for them back then to have them back.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 02:48:00 AM »
They are good, solid hunting bows. My first deer was with my 62" 55# Mahaska longbow. I still have it, but it gets little use these days. They are not the fastest around, but they are quiet. Mine had fairly stout hand shock with the Dacron string Kent recommends, but I twisted up a 10 strand D97 and padded the loops to 16 strands and the shock disappeared. I've kind of become addicted to my Kanati, so the Mahaska spends most of its time on the hook.

The workmanship is hard to beat on Kent's bows. I certainly don't regret buying mine...or keeping it either.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline PaulRoberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
I have nothing but good things to say about Mahaska. I really like mine, a 60" recurve, and have had it for about 5 years now. I had wanted a 50's style recurve (55#) and the Mahaska has the look I wanted.

It's a tad overbuilt, which means it's a tad slower than some others out there. But this also means it's durable and quiet. And it throws a 650gr arrow with authority. It's comfortable to shoot and accurate too, putting them where I look.

It's a fine workhorse hunting bow And Kent is a super nice guy.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Just good hard working bows...I have had a couple and one I regret selling.....   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
Thanks guys
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©