3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hernia surgery in time for bow season  (Read 392 times)

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
Hernia surgery in time for bow season
« on: September 16, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Going to have hernia surgery tomorrow. Has anyone else  here  had this done and if so what should I expect for recovery time .I have vacation time secluded in November for the rut. Would of liked to have had it done sooner but it was through workmen’s comp.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hernia surgery in time for bow season
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Recovery will depend on the type and size of the hernia and whether the repair is done laproscopic or open.  I had a 4" open repair of an inguinal hernia.  I went back to work in three days, but moved quite slow and didn't do any lifting.  It took about 6 weeks for me to get close to normal.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Do what your Dr. says    I was to do NOTHING for a week, I felt so good, I did not follow the doc's orders and ripped every thing loose in less than TWO days. Now I have to do the whole thing again,wasting three weeks of sick time and all off my deductables
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
You'll be on the ground this year I guess

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Luke, i have had 4 inguinal ring surgeries.  My most recent was when i was 40, 9 years ago,  had two baby boys and i was processing for an overseas job.  talk about a little stress.  

First one at 17, then 18, 23 and then at 40.  My last was quite honestly my easiest.  Don't let my quantity scare you.  the last two they put mesh in me to keep it from happening again.  BUT, it still takes time.  I was back to work in a week and shooting within days.  Fact is i am a bit stubborn.  I am also in fairly good shape.  

The main thing is that you rest early on.  stay active.  i was walking around chasing my kids the first day of recovery.  i seem to remember they restrict you from lifting over 25 lbs.    

The easy thing is the shooting.  that doesn't stress the abs as much as maybe climbing a tree to sit in the stand.

Main thing i would do is make some ground blinds and rest well, yet stay active.  does that make sense ???

Good luck.  You will do fine.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Big-un08

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Yes sir, you can be almost certain that you will not get any string time for at least 6 weeks. I just had one repaired in May. When I finally got back to shooting, I started out in the 30# range and worked back up.
Experience is something that you do not get until right after you need it!!!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Not sure how long ago you guys had your surgery's but the one I had (thi past Spring)the doc told me to do my exercises and then do whatever I wanted immediately.I shot a bow that afternoon and went to my sons soccer game the next day. I was told to get up and walk, climb stairs and generally get moving and I would feel better sooner. Ask your doc but I would be terribly srprised if you were not in a tree the first week of October.

Good luck.

Offline ArrowAtomik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
The first week is the most important to do nothing.

Opener was less than 3 weeks after the surgery for me a few years ago.  It was certainly a little iffy to pull a bow and climb a ladder stand.  But I got the wife to help me drag the small doe up out of the ravine (I chose a small one out of six larger deer).  

I think they talked about 4-6 weeks for any real serious lifting.  Probably not smart to bend the Dr's orders, but I tried to be reasonably careful and used only a 43# bow and had no issues.

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
Guys I really appreciate all your words of wisdom.
Thanks Luke

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Follow the surgeons instructions and play it smart. I had laparoscopic done June 4th for a reducible inguinal hernia and was shooting a little in the 5th week and am full form now. You'll be in the woods by Nov. no doubt.   :thumbsup:   Your age, I'm 55 and don't heal nearly as fast, is a determining factor too

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »
I just had hernia surgery July 9th. Don't plan on doing much of anything activity wise for at least a month. The best thing tto do is to go outside and walk on flat ground. If you can do this at least twice a day.

I understand that they do diffrent types of surgery for hernias. One being done with tiny insisions the other making a large insision like they did with me. The insision was about 6 inches and required 18 staples to close it.

Things were very uncomfortable with pain and swelling until the staples came out about 3 weeks after surgery. After that things got better pretty quick. I was out of work from July 9th till August 20th.

Best of luck with your surgery and make sure you follow the doctor's instructions so you get well faster.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
I had mine at age 35 and the first week all I could do is walk. The doctor did say to walk and the second week I started walking in the woods with my bow. I hunted on the ground and it didn't bother me shooting my bow. I was back to work in 4 weeks and doing most things ok. But we're all different.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
I'd give it about a month before shooting.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
Had 2 inguinal hernias done 3 weeks ago,laproscopic was done,did nothing for 2 weeks then started shooting and no pain while shooting,My doctor said after 3 weeks to do whatever I wanted.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Wow!!!! Two procedures? Mine was last spring which was non-laproscopic, I am just now feeling 100%. mind you last year November I went to Kodiak Island and hunted Blacktail for a week with my stick and string... I would have considered myself "in shape". It was four days after surgery before I could get up from laying down unassisted. I am glad to be on the backside of that!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline ratherbehuntin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
I had double inguinal laparoscopically repaired with mesh took about two weeks before I could kind of feel sort of normal. The first week it was hard to walk upright second week walking around and doing normal tasks seemed easier just a pulling feeling where the surgery was with lifting or bearing down. The third week I went back to work and just made sure I didn't over do it.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
still a little pain,but only with pressure on it.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »
I have had 3 hernia surgies (will probably need a 4th). It takes the wind out of your sails for a few weeks. Start back carefully and slowly with a light weight bow. Talk it over with the doc before you even think about pulling a bow.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©