3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Canoe hunting stories, tips, advice  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Bpaul

• Trad Bowhunter
Canoe hunting stories, tips, advice
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
I've posted this question on a few boards so far, sorry to anyone who sees it multiple times.

I'm interested in hunting from a canoe.  I shoot a selfbow, so not as compact as a traditional recurve, but I think it's doable.  Any of you folks hunted from, or used a canoe to get to hunting locations?  Any stories or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time,

B
Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does.  
          -George Bernard Shaw

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Canoe hunting stories, tips, advice
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
Check this out.  We started a now anual float hunt this past October.  Here are some of the pictures.  We had Bald Eagles flying over our head not 50ft above.  It was truely an awe inspiring adventure.  Go soon so you can make it a habit.
Links to my photos:
 http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n24/gw_hunter/float_hunt_2006/
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 01:03:00 PM »
I am going to try and finagle a canoe this year but I just bought a pair of zeiss binos, so the wife will watch me like a hawk for awhile.

Canoes are fun, they are like the 4 wheel drive of boats.

Later

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Brad Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
I am in the process of planning a canoe hunting trip for next year. Going to do some extensive scouting/hiking to find some good areas. Looking at Hoosier National Forest, Deam Wilderness, Lake Monroe. My wife and I canoed around a good spot a few years ago but did not hunt (mid-summer). I think I'd like to set up a deer camp and make a week out of it. Getting a new tent this year so Im pumped to use it. Good luck!
Mommy, where does bacon come from??
Well, a pig sweetheart.
Well how does a pig lay bacon??
Cassie 5

Daddy, what season is it?
Well, winter season honey.
No! What "hunting" season is it!!
Cassie 8

Kids, ya gotta love'um!

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
Bpaul,

Here is a hunt I did last year on public ground.
Bows and boats are a great mix!

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=025915;p=1

Sean

Offline Red

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
I hunt a lot from the canoe. We generally have the guy in the bow with a shotgun for ducks and the guy in the back with longbow for deer(seasons overlap here in Michigan). We had a couple real close calls on deer - not shots but real close, I also drew some feather on a swimming wood duck with an arrow which was cool. We usually get our limit of ducks(with the gun). You need to pad up the gunnels on the canoe so that you can be quiet when you set the bow (or gun) down to paddle, or the paddle down when you pick up the weapon. We just drift real slow with the current, guy in the back does some paddling just to keep a good line, guy in the bow just sits and shoots(for ducks). One trip without the bow a deer and fawn swam across right in front of us. We have paddled by some big bucks doing this, but I am yet to connect on a deer. If we don't take the bow we usually see all kinds of deer, and I would imagine if we were to just take the bows we would just see lots of ducks.

Offline Bpaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Great responses guys.  bluegill, awesome photos thanks for posting that link!
Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does.  
          -George Bernard Shaw

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
I do a semi regular canoe hunt myself.  The one thing I can recommend is to be familiar with the river/stream and familiar with your equipment.  The water can get cold in the fall and bad things can happen to wet hunters who are along way from help.

It does make for an enjoyable adventure.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
Bpaul  Some of my most enjoyable hunts ever were in a canoe and camping trip combined but alas not with the bow.I remember one trip but it was spring my buddy and I came around a bend and two bucks were eating on a sandbar the little buck saw us but would not run b/c the big buck had not was too busy eating we got within 20-30 feet before they heard noise from another one of our group behind us.Would have been an easy shot with a bow so it is doable.Get a 16" boat for short trips of a few days and 17"-18" if real long trips.We used tents but also have used hammoks when weather allows.We sometimes cooked on the fire sometimes on a stove.Get some good water proof bags sometimes you can find some bags at Army surplus stores also.The shuttle is sometimes a hassel but once between Miss. and La.I left my truck at a store at the end of the Pearl river and hitchike with my canoe about 30 miles to the next town and bridge to start my trip.I am rambling b/c this topic brought back some memories of some great times.Do it you will love it.Kip

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
I've used a canoe to get into areas to hunt, and like Red, used them for duck hunting.  Saw lots of nice deer, mostly bucks, while floating for ducks.  Unfortunately, I've never tried combining duck and buck shooting.  May do so in the future.  

If you can afford one, a wood and canvas canoe is much quieter than fiberglass, aluminum, Kevlar or whatever. Much prettier aa well.  Of course, I'm biased.  I build them.

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
Good time of year to be buying one.  My wife and I just bought a 2nd canoe after seeing it posted on craigslist.org for $125. It was an Old Towne 147 Guide and included life jackets/paddles. We bought our first off ebay at a good price.

I haven't done a lot of hunting out of canoes, but we did use one to get across a creek during a hog hunt last year in TN. Really like the idea of that combo duck/deer hunt.

Ron LaClair has some AWESOME stories and pics about hunting out of a canoe.
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
I love canoeing, trapping,fishing,stickbow hunting!Just a matter of time till i put them all together !  Great pic's and stories gents....VOYAGEUR....VOYAGEUR.......
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
I hunt with a Mad River Duckhunter 17'. It is alot of boat for solo trips. Has serious payload though for hauling out deer etc. I have never shot one yet from the canoe although there have been some close calls that almost presented a shot. I mostly just use it to get me to remote locations along the river or lake.

I also have a 14 foot Wenonah flat stern that works great with an electric motor. I use that one if I have to make a long solo trip upstream on the river. With an Optima deep cycle it goes for hours. A solor panel keeps it charged when at rest.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline Bpaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
Ron you're killin' me with those photos man, killin' me.

Great posts folks, loving the response so far.
          -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
This is myself and my friend Ed, who passed away a few years ago. In 1990, we spent the day paddleing my birch bark canoe down the Grand River in Michigan from Eaton Rapids to Lansing with a group of canoeist led by renown canoe explorer Verlan Kruger on what they called "Expedition Ninty". The group traveled and explored the length of the Grand River, Michigans longest river running 270 miles north north west to where it emptys into Lake Michigan. Taking water samples and other data as they went.

We wore breech clouts and had primitive bows in the canoe with us. The group welcomed us, it was a memorable time and a lot of fun.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Ron, you are a man after my own heart. Sometimes I wish I could just totally break my ties with this modern world and escape into a world of living off the land, birch bark canoes, buckskin and feathers, stick bows and spears. Great pictures.

I'd be afraid of those water sapples downstream of Grand Rapids. Too many "brown bass". Imagine what a beautiful river that was before the white man spoiled it.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
gwhunter - Nice photo album. What body of water was that? It reminds me of te DesMoines River.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Tom,
It is the Meremac River.  It is truely beautiful, as are all of natures wonders.
gwhunter/Ben
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©