3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling in black bears  (Read 197 times)

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Calling in black bears
« on: September 17, 2012, 03:01:00 AM »
Hi guys. I was hunting opening day here in NY and had a nice 250-300 lb bear coming in. When he was about 50yds out I turned to prepare for the shot. I twisted the bow just slightly to avoid a branch & dropped the arrow which hit a branch at the bottom of the tree. He turned and slowly walked off. I thought of doing a couple of fawn bleats. Just wondering how many of you have ever called in a black bear? I have seen it on tape but have never tried it. Anyone out there call bears & if so how do you do with it? Any call work the best?

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Calling in black bears
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Well, we know the "dropping arrow call" doesn't seem to work...    :saywhat:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline DayTripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hawkeye:
Well, we know the "dropping arrow call" doesn't seem to work...     :saywhat:  
:laughing:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
In an area with a fairly good bear population, fawn in distress call will work fine. Trust me, they know what that sound is.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
People here often have black bears come in when they are cow calling elk.I have friends that have called some bears in with the predator call.I know some like the jackrabbit sounds because it sounds a lot like a fawn in distress.

A call you never hear about is the "sow in heat" call from Woodwise Products.It is basically a low,moan and is generally used when you think there are bears within earshot.It would have been perfect for your situation.It works any time of year and will attract sows and boars.It isn't a real loud sound so bears have to be within a few hundred yards.

The good thing about the "sow in heat" call,is that it doesn't spook game or mess up your stand if you are waiting for deer etc.It is kind of like using a grunt call occasionally,just to try to stir something up.They may choose to ignore it but it doesn't spook anything.

I have called in 2 bears using the sow in heat call.The first time,I was sitting watching a spring and things were slow so I gave a couple soft moans and immediately,a blonde sow came walking down the ridge from an area where I had seen bears go to bed.

The second time was this past May,hunting over bait in Northern Saskatchewan.A bear fight broke out in thick brush,75 yds behind my stand.I couldn't see them but was sure that the winner would be walking right in.Well,after almost an hour,I realized it wasn't going to happen.I gave 2 soft moans and this bear came walking in from that direction,within less than a minute.

If you are interested in calling bears,Woodwise also has an excellent video that covers the use of predator calls,sow in heat,cub bawling and a variety of other bear vocalizations.It is the best thing I have seen on the subject.There is some good hunting footage on it as well.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »
Thanks JimB. That is the kind of info I was hoping for. I will try to find the sow call locally & if I can't I will order one online. Nice bear BTW!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
I doubt if you will find one in a store.I have never seen one and to be honest,I don't tell people around here about it and when I'm in bear camp I don't talk about it.It's a great tool and I really highly recommend that video.You can hear exactly what that call should sound like as well as how and when to use it and all the other types of calls for bears.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 05:38:00 PM »
I tried a "Maine coyote proven"  dying rabbit
 on an Alberta blackie once that was more interested in a rotten log 60 yards away than my pile of beaver carcasses. Not many rabbits around I found out later from the locals. MAN did that brute blast out of there.
David M. Conroy

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
You can even try a few clucks with a diaphragm, they are used to hearing turkeys around us and it may make he or she curious to keep coming! A mouse squeaker may work also.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
I've called in a few with predator calls but have gotten a shot at one I've called.. They are always on high alert and looking.... still very fun.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 12:07:00 AM »
Well, I ordered the call & the video from woods wise. Will try it as soon as I can. Just another tool to use. I think I could have had luck with it the other day. The bear heard something but hadn't winded or spotted me. Thanks for the tips.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 01:41:00 AM »
What Jim B said +2
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
Well,I've decided to take my own advice.After this thread came up I realized I had forgot to put the bear calls in my pack.I have been sitting in a treestand over an elk wallow and it's also one of my favorite bear hunting spots.It is better in the Spring for bears but still,they cruise through once in awhile.This thread was a good reminder for me.I had elk on the brain and almost forgot about the unused bear tag in my pack.

Crotch Horn,I hope you will let us know if you have any experiences with the call.You will enjoy that video.Good luck.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
Thanks Jim. I will derinitely let you know how it goes. Good luck to you too! Wish I could hunt out west some but not this year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©