3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What whitetail scent produces best for you?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What whitetail scent produces best for you?
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
I have used alot of them and only a few work consistantly for me. Tinks#69 worked will until the deer in the area got use to it. I collect my own deer urine (separate bucks and does), tarsal glands, and the glands from between the toes. I have better results with my own concoctions. I do use apple cider on a regular basis because per unit it is cheaper than most other attractants. I do like a to utilize a drip bag when possible over a fresh or mock scrape.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
corn and sweet feed
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
trails end #307...Great stuff all season.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
What about Bowhunter's Setup?  Anybody tried that?  I've heard a couple of people around here say it works really well.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
I collect urine from any deer I shoot or any I help someone else find , but the trick is not taking out the bladder and emptying into jar but get the bladder and squeeze the urine through the urinary tract . It can be messy but I learned from trapping fox that bladder urine has minimal smell whereas there are a lot of glands in the urinary tract that add to the "smell" quality . Maybe I just overdo things , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
I should also mention beaver castor if ya hunt where there are beaver, it works great! One word of caution only use an amount equal to a pin head. It is that strong! Shawn
Shawn

Offline barebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
I collect acorns and oak leaves and brew in a pot until a dark brown tea is created. Then I sift the broth into a container to filter out the crud. Pour some of the juice in a spray bottle then spray your clothes. It is a very sweet smelling aroma to deer and humans alike.
"Killing an animal is intrinsic to the hunt. It shouldn't be glorified, but conducted with respect and reverence..." - Gene Wensel _ Primal Dreams

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
Barebow,

That sounds really interesting. How long have you used that method?
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
Landshark,

In the early 90s, I used the bowhunter's setup product when it was made and marketed locally here in Central Florida.  I can tell you without a doubt that it worked as an attractant.  If it is the same product that Muzzy is marketing now, then it is worth buying and trying. I plan on giving it a try to see if it is the same stuff.

Gregg
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Thanks Gregg, I think I'll try it this year too.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Vanilla extract (Real is better)
And Shawn beat me to it, Beaver castor  :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline barebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2007, 06:54:00 AM »
T.J.,
I've only used the acorn/oakleaf tea for a couple years now and I like it a lot. It smells so good I don't mind spraying it on heavy. I even spray it on the ground where I hunt near oak trees, and it's a very natural and appealing scent to the deer. Also, that might help to keep them from zeroing in on me. I may try adding some dirt and ferns, etc. to the mix this year.
IMO, I don't like to use dominant buck urine because I believe it could backfire causing larger buck’s who already have does’ with them to move away to avoid competition. It may also cause smaller bucks and does’ (not in heat), to avoid the area. The same with doe-n-heat scents, because I think does’ that are not in heat may try to avoid those who are in order to keep bucks from harassing them. With a natural lure attractant scent, I feel the chances of having more deer come into bow range are better. If more does’ and smaller bucks are in an area, then maybe the larger bucks feel more at ease to come  there too. Besides, the acorn/oakleaf tea is free.
"Killing an animal is intrinsic to the hunt. It shouldn't be glorified, but conducted with respect and reverence..." - Gene Wensel _ Primal Dreams

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2007, 07:01:00 AM »
Shawn that's top secret info right there. That's why the Old Indian works good.

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2007, 07:04:00 AM »
Barebow,

Thanks, I'll definatly try that this year. That sounds like a great combo to me.
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2007, 09:19:00 AM »
the very best attractant for rut time that I've ever used is the urine and tarsal glands from a BUCK deer. I try to extract the urine and preserve the tarsal glands from every buck I possibly can with the 'rutting buck' being the best. a black/wet tarsal gland that smells to high heaven is worth more to me than 25 FREE gallons of any store bought scent. I've saw bucks come in to these scents doing all sorts of wild things. ears pinned back, hair all standing up on their backs and walking stiff legged like they're coming into the ring after the championship title. give this a try and you'll be sold just like I was more than 30 years ago plus, IT'S FREE.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
X2 on the anise oil. I poured some out on my woodpile last year, and the deer were sniffin around there for days.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
"Absence Of" works best for me
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
"Absence of"-probably best strategy of all.

I never had much luck with scents but the only one I ever used and ACTUALLY-without a doubt-the deer were responding to the scent-saw with my own two eyes-was Bob Kirschner's curiosity scent.

Two does came in from 200 yards (downwind) out with their noses in the air. Got to within 80 yards and picked me up-game over.   :D  

I have and still use home brew cover scent as it is what grows in my hunting areas. before that I used essence of fall as a cover and I guess it worked had it on when the does came in downwind. Bottom line on cover stuff is it is only meant to confuse em for a second. Nothing will totally cover ya up-not even scent lok.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
The most effective deer attractant I've ever used was to doze off up in the stand with my longbow hanging on a hook.  Works like a charm and it's free!  
Seriously, I've never had success with deer scents/lures so consequently haven't used them for quite awhile now.  
I wash my hunting clothes in baking soda only, hang dry, and try to keep myself clean before hunting.  I see plenty of deer.  Now shooting them, that's another matter...LOL!

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
another for Trails end #307
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©