3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Possible to shoot too much?  (Read 414 times)

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
Possible to shoot too much?
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Last year I missed a monster buck...had a tree limb jump in the way! lol.  Anyways,  I've been shooting daily for at least an hour at a time and then several sessions on weekends.  This weekend I started noticing a pain in my right arm.   I'm shooting a 65# @ 28" custom based on the black widow. I'm drawing about 27" so roughly 62#'s.  Could this be from the dreaded bow shock or is just from shooting so much and muscle pains that come with it that will go away as I get stronger.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Possible to shoot too much?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
In my opinion you are shooting to much whaen your accuracy becomes suspect.  I your accuracy is there I can't say you are shooting to much.  My widow would not know shock if it saw it.  I can't say on your's.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
I seem to shoot better even up to a week between shooting sessions.  Of course I only shoot about 50 pounds at my 29" draw with my PCH.  I would suggest you cut down your shooting time and days and see how you do.  I would also suggest you try a lighter draw weight if you can't stop shooting daily.  Heavy draw bows are really not necessary to kill a deer.

Good luck and shoot straight.
Moon

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
draw right or left handed?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
If you are still maintaining concentration and hitting with good accuracy, it's probably not too much.  I believe too many of us just fling arrows without much thought or purpose and let the bad habits creep into the routine.

With the pain, I would lay off a day or two...or at least reduce the number of shots.  I believe I read that champion Larry Yien likes shooting 150-200 arrows, BUT does this with purpose and every other day.
Lon Scott

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
I shoot about the same amount, and maybe a tic more weight.  I shoot 67 at 28" and pull just a fraction over 28.  I would guess you have a form flaw creeping in and the change in technique is where the pain is coming from.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline John J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
Shooting a bow requires different muscles then those that most people normally use. We actually get stronger by tearing our muscles and then they rebuild to be able to withstand that stress. With that in mind I would say that yes it is possible to be shooting to much. When I first got into archery and I was shooting a 35# bow, I would go out and shoot for an hour or so and then the next day I would be so stiff I could just barely lift my arms above my head. Obviously I didn't shoot those days. The real risk with "overshooting" is that you will develop bad habits that are hard to get rid of. The reason for this is that when your muscles hurt you will sometimes, without thinking about it, change your form a little bit to take the strain off of those muscles which can throw off your form big time.

As to hand shock I believe that that only occurs in the hand that holds the bow, so that is only a possibility if you are left handed. My suggestion would be to take a few days off and see if the pain goes away.
Archery is supposed to be fun, shooting with pain isn't fun. JMHO    :archer:  

Good shooting,
John
I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. -- James Madison

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
DOH!! I completely screwed up that post! My apologies,  the pain is in my LEFT elbow, not my right,  I even reread my post before submitting it to make sure it was ok.  I'm a body builder and am very familiar with tearing down muscles when putting stress on them inorder to building them up.  I'm hoping thats the case here.  Yesterday I noticed I couldn't keep my left elbow straight and shot 5 arrows and stopped, I definitely don't want to develop bad habits,  I'll take a couple days off and then maybe switch to shooting every other day.  I've got a month until my hunting trip so I want to practce as much as possible, but I don't want to hurt myself before the trip, that would be no good.  Thanks for all the help!!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
No muscle in the elbow. Only tendon, ligaments and joint. Pain is a warning to be heeded. Yes it is possible to shoot to much, I have done better shortening the length of sessions.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
Maybe saying elbow pain is wrong, it's more in the muscle on the front of the arm in the elbow area, sorry for the confusion I should have made that more clear.

On another note, I just won a new2me bow on a bidding site, it's 55#'s, so I may switch over to that to practice with and see if that helps to.

Also, I've tried reducing my practice times, but shooting is soo much fun! lol I'll try harder though.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
I know I shoot way too much. I hate to quit. Some tendon pain in my left elbow right now. I'm getting good at knowing where the line is and not to cross it. What happens to me is that after a about 30 minutes of shooting I can't get my bow shoulder to quiet down. It gets tired and develops a wobble. And on my heavy bow I get a headache. And I really have to focus to get in my 6" circle. But I know if I lay off a little -- just shoot a dozen or so arrows all from different distances, angles, etc., and let myself rest I'll be right on it. I also have a light bow I shoot when my joints yelp at me.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Thanks for all the responses on here Guys!  it's good to know that LOOONG practice sessions aren't necessary.  I've seen some guys that are able to shoot 4 hour sessions and I think ....holy cow,  after an hour I'm spent, good to know that I don't need to work up to that, not with my 65# bow anyways.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 03:06:00 PM »
Most of my daily sessions are 10-20 shots with one arrow and a judo point.  Usually only about 15 minutes of so. Teaches you a lot, and doesn't wear on the ol' bod so much...
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
put it down to old age   :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I have a bow that is just a bit too heavy.  Im working on shooting with good form right now in progress to developing split vision style.  I do not shoot for accuracy but rather focus on grip, anchor and release and do not worry about where the arrow hits.  Still getting pretty good accuracy but so far that is just instinctive accuracy.  

Anyway, as soon as my accuracy or windage starts to waver I stop shooting.  Sometimes this is after 4 arrows and sometimes it is after 40.  The key is to know when your form and strength is wavering and to stop right then.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
My wife is a physical therapist, so I asked her opinion. She basically thinks you are over-training.  Pulling 65 pounds over and over for an hour is very repetitive and heavy work. Then you also do this multiple times a day on the weekends? This can certainly cause injury! You are not giving your muscles enough recovery time. You might be letting muscle fatigue cause you to use poor form and cause joint/elbow injury.

When people lift weights or work out, they usually take a days rest to let the muscles recover if there has been heavy lifting. Drawing a heavy bow that many times essentially is a heavy workout.

If you were shooting that same bow with only 12-20 arrows a day, then daily shooting wouldn't be as bad. You might still give yourself a days rest 2 times weekly. For instance, don't shoot on a Wednesday and Sunday.

This is just mine and one physical therapists opinion. I am sure there are others who might disagree.

God Bless and good luck,
Charlie

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Speaking for myself, ..Yes it is possible to shoot too much.
Generally shooting bows between 60 and 80 lbs, ive found that shooting every other evening or even every third evening is the best for me.
As buckeye hunter above stated, your muscles need recovery time, and IMHO it also gives your your hand and eye coordination time to recover as well.
I believe that shooting for long periods of time repeatedly can cause mental fatigue and loss of focus, but by laying off for a day or 2 your muscles as well as focus have time to recover.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
You mentioned you are a body builder, I assume you work legs one day & another body part the next day, therefore giving your legs a rest. To build muscle you do tear it down, but then you give it a day or two to repair. I have been out of weight lifting / body building for 20 plus years, but in the day there was theories of only working a body part one time a week. What your doing is aerobic almost, not building muscle, I think aerobic classes are only one hour a day.

Follow what you know for body building, working out a bow muscle is the same, if your pulling a bow or lifting a weight, just the difference between using a machine or free weight.

Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Yes, it is possible to shoot too much. Pain and soreness are the body's way of saying you need to back off. Do what's comfortable and is conducive to good form, just don't overdo. This is experience talking.
Sam

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 02:29:00 AM »
I guess I've shot to much. I'm getting Flexor Tendinitis or Trigger Finger in my finger next to little finger on my release hand. It just started a couple wks ago and is already locking up during the night.

Oh, well..season opens in two wks and I won't be shooting so much.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©