3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Possible to shoot too much?  (Read 415 times)

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Possible to shoot too much?
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
Thanks Guys!! this all makes very good sense.  Good points here...I'm a heavy lifter and only work each body section once a week, mainly due to time restraint, but if I were to lift more than once there would be at least 3 days before hitting the same muscle group.  When it comes to bow shooting I think I'm working muscles that aren't normally used and since I am working with a heavy bow pulling it at least 100+ times per session that is quite a workout. I'll deifintely switch to every other day at least and shorten my sessions.
   Charlie, inregards to what you said about 12-20 shots---maybe if I try that it'll force me to focus even more since I'll know I only have a couple shots to get it right!
Perfect practice makes perfect shooting after all and if I'm over shooting I'm not practicing right.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
Brad,

You also might want to try setting out multiple targets at different distances. Take one shot at each and then retrieve arrows. That way you do not get "locked" into one distance. This also gives a bit more rest in between shooting. Milk jugs filled with foam and stick legs(looks like a baby pig), cardboard boxes stuffed with newspaper or water bottles all  can give you cheap and fun targets. Don't be afraid to poke some sticks into the bottles and boxes to turn them into 3d targets.

Another strategy I use is to limit myself to one shot and retrieve. Then choose a different angle and distance for the next shot and repeat. This also keeps you from getting locked into one distance and provides some extra rest between shots.

Good luck and I hope that elbow gets better. Make sure you rest it some and apply ice! If need be, drop down a few pounds in draw weight as well. Don't cause yourself an injury.

God bless,
Charlie

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Thanks Charlie,  I've been wanting to add some more targets, and those are great ideas to do it cheaply!  I like the idea of taking one shot and retrieving the arrow and moving around.  I just purchased a used bow on a bidding site that is 10lbs lighter so now I'll have the option of shooting lighter while I practice. I should have that in a few days.  The elbow is starting to feel better, I worked it harder than I thought and lactic acid must have built up in there. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have my new bow and will try out the methods you recommended.  Thank you again Charlie!

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
One more question....I have a 55lb bow on it's way, but I'm thinking after bow season is done with and I get caught up on some bills I may be interested in a 45lb for taget shooting, bow fishing and small game.  Is it ok to practice with a 45lb bow and then use a 65lb for deer/bear hunting? I'll practice with the 65lb once in a while, but mainly with the 45 so I can focus on form.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
yes.  You can overdo anything.  shooting everyday is ok, but I don't think marathon shooting sessions are productive or healthy. Take a break for a few weeks until your arm feels good and then try shorter shooting sessions. IMO 10 to 15 minutes is plenty.

The 45lb bow is a good idea for improving form, but I'm not sure jumping up for hunting is going to be good for your accuracy.  I lean towards shooting the hunting bow all the time.  Why not go with a 55# bow?  I bet it'll feel plenty light after your 65# bow, but it'll have plenty of force to bring down north american game.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I haven't made a big jump back and forth in weight like that. For occasional form work the 45 will be good, but I would still do the majority of the work with the 65.

I have gone from 51 to 42 but never a 20 pound difference. If you are going to shoot the 65 for hunting then I would make sure I had plenty of practice with it for consistency sake. Your release will be VERY different from 45 to 65. The 65 pounder should give you a better release or at least that is how many guys feel. Heavier bows = cleaner release is the theory. I would continue to shoot the 65 pounder, but just go easier. If the elbow is still hurting after you scale back some, then definitely go to the lower weights or a bow with a more ergonomic grip. Also the arrows will shoot flatter from a 65 pound bow than a 45 pounder. You could mess with arrow weight to get similar trajectories, but I wouldn't want to fool with it personally.

All that being said, shoot the heaviest bow you can with a few qualifications;

1. Make sure you are accurate with it.
2. Shoot it a reasonable number of times with rest as needed. Just like working out.
3. If the draw weight is causing you to have pain, then draw less weight or switch to a different grip. I had elbow pain and it turned out that I just needed a different grip.
4. Don't worry about what draw weight other guys shoot. Just shoot the draw weight that is right for you.

If you are a pretty strong guy, and I suspect you are, then I would do my form practice with the 55. If you find a REALLY  cheap 45 pounder then it won't hurt, but you definitely need to be shooting the 65'er consistently if you want to hunt with it.

Good luck!

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
Thank you Very much!  I'll stick with the 65 and follow your tips. I really appreciate all your help, thanks again!
Brad

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Years ago, I had a 45, 55, and 65# bow of the same make. I hunted with the 55lb, used the 45lb for form work and winter league shooting, and I would shoot the 65lb bow to make the 55 seem easier. About 2 months before the season, I would pretty much quit using the 45, and only used the 65 at a blank bale to keep the muscles working. The 55 was pretty much the only thing I shot at targets. It seemed to work pretty well.

I know I can overshoot. My neck and elbow has me shooting the lightest bow (45lb) I've ever hunted deer with so far and I still have to drag myself away from the targets. I don't like stopping when I'm shooting well, and I don't want to stop when I'm shooting poorly. It's a vicious cycle. To steal a phase from Patton "God help me, I love it so"

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 08:51:00 AM »
"I don't like stopping when I'm shooting well, and I don't want to stop when I'm shooting poorly"  So true!

Charlie- I tried what you said last night,  I shot one arrow walked around the yard to another spot and shot another arrow and took a couple more steps and shot again.  I gotta tell you I was very surprised how well I shot with this.  I usually just sit in one spot and shoot a couple rounds, move back 5 yards, shoot a couple rounds, move back another and continue shooting.  Walking around and taking shots from different angles was actually quite a bit of fun and I suprised myself with how well I shot.  I only shot a few rounds then forced myself to put the bow away. I even feel more confident about my shooting bc I shot at so many different distances and angles last night. Thanks again for the tips!

Offline MonRiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Brad,

Do you think you may be aggravating your elbow during your weight lifting sessions?  That might carry over to your shooting as well.  

From,
Another Brad.
Shooting a vintage Bear Grizzly makes me smile.

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
Brad, there is a high possibility of that,  I considered that also bc I've been increasing my weights.  I linked it to bow shooting though bc it's just the one arm and I can really feel it when I straighten my left arm (same position it's in when shooting) It's mostly gone now..took most of the week off from shooting, shot a litle last night with no ill effects. I think it's a combo of tearing the muscles down while working out and then tearing it down more when shooting.

Offline BigBucksnTrucks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
I figured out the root of the problem.  For some reason I was not holding my bow arm straight.  I had a slight bend in my elbow which was putting a lot of strain on the muscles around my elbow causing them to be excessively stressed.  I've since adjusted my bow arm and lock out my elbow so my arm is perfectly straight and have had no issues with soreness at all.  Now I can get into the "clock" form and notice a big difference in my shoting, espeacially if I don't hit the form right.  I've also had to add an arm guard since the string was slapping my forearm with my corrected form.  My shots are much more consistant and accurate, espeacially at far distances (30yards.)  Anyways, thought I'd share the outcome!  Happy hunting all!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©