3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How old were you?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
How old were you?
« on: September 17, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
How old were you when you started shooting traditional archery equipment? I am 28 and feel like I have been missing out for quite some time now! Anyway I have been shooting traditional for roughly 3 months and have sold all vertical and horizontal bows with training wheels!
Kota Prairie Fire 55@28 60"
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 56@28 58"
Treadway Black Swamp 52@28 58"

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How old were you?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
I was around 5yrs. old when I started shooting with my Dad. I'm 66yrs. old now, but have to say that I did shoot and compete with a compound for a few years in the 1980s.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline Adam S. Daugherty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
I was 19 when made switch to tradtional.  I am 35 now.  Years 10 - 19 I bowhunted with compounds.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
I guess around seven or eight.  I have no idea why I wanted a bow since no one in the family shot a bow although they were all hunters.  I'm now 58 and enjoy the sport more with every year.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
when i was 12,im 36 now and always had a trad i shot even when i shot compounds....
i like biscuits

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
I was about 7 and about to turn 49 in Oct.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Maybe 10 or so can't realy remember. But always was chassing something with bows or shotgun and 22. when I was a kid. Never had a compond .
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline GRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
Around 5 or 6. I'm 62 now. You would think I'd be better after 56 yrs, of practice!!  :dunno:  
Gerald

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
I completly switched from wheels about at about age 28. That was 5yrs. ago and I feel more like I'm on a journey now than just hunting.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
I guess when I was about 12 I got a Bear "Red Bear" archery set. Of course back than it wasn't "Traditional", it was just "archery"
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Jack Ripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
My Grandmother and Grandfather my fathers parents always had bows in the house. I don't even remeber shooting a bow the first time. I was prob around 5 or 6. My Grandmother would actually coach me and my Grandfather showed me how to make arrows. They were wonderful Grandparents and I miss them very much. They were part of the greatest generation and just incredible people. I wish I could of learned from them longer.
Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room.

Offline briarsdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »
I got my first recurve at ten years old from my neighbor. A Bear Stag Hunter #55 and it was way too much for me at that time but I always enjoyed flinging a few arrows with it at half draw or less. I shot coumpounds and hunted with them from age 12 until I was 25 or 26. That was when I bought my first custom recurve and started hunting with it. I did switch back to compounds for about two years but now I am back to shooting my longbows only.
Black Widow PLX Osage
Black Widow PLX Crossgrain Graybark
Red Feather Archery broadheads!

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
I was 11 years old, I'm 55 now. Shot wheels for about 8 years but came to my senses in 1984. Trad ever since.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
I believe I was 15 and am 56 now
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 06:47:00 PM »
I was 11 and am 68 now. I shot a compound (crude by today's standards) for about 15 years. Doesn't make me a bad person.   :bigsmyl:  I've never been without at least one stickbow in the house since 1955.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »
Roundbal,  I understand what your saying. I switched over to trad gear 7 yrs ago when I was 27 and within 1 month I had sold or given away, all my wheels.  I wish I had started out with trad gear too, but at least we discovered the joy while we're still young enough to enjoy it.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
5 or 6 and I'm 43
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
Thanks for asking! I started this Trad Stuff when I was 45! That's Right! Loved how it looked in pictures in magazines... Seemed to be a true stalkers way of doing it... Sold all my wheelie bows and never looked back! That was 11 years ago.

By the way... Haven't put a deer down yet but have had many, many close encounters... Kinda like the thrill without the mess.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 06:59:00 PM »
I started when I was 42. I had gotten so boared with shooting a compound I actually quit hunting for about 4 years.  Trad got the fire burning again.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
About 3 of age. I'm 47 now. My dad and mom would take my brothers and me to the Rocky River Metro Park in Cleveland to shoot the field course that was there. My dad had a Ben Pearson long bow of Osage, my Mom had a Pearson Jet. My brothers and I had black and white bear fiberglass bows. As kids we shot everything and anything. Glad my son is smarter than me and his uncles. He would be in jail otherwise with todays rules.  My Dad's bow broke a few years back but I still have my Mom's. Never shot a compound, never will.
lll

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©