3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How old were you?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How old were you?
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
I was 21, I'm now 44.  Started with the compound at 11, switched over to stick and string 10 yrs later
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
I built my first custom longbow using a shade stick when I was 6-7 yeas old. I will be 70 Oct4 and still shooting traditional.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Had a green fiberglass bow at age 10, used it for 2 yrs. Christmas morning 1967 got my first "real" bow, a Ben Pearson Puma.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
42, I'm 46 now.
Glenn

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2012, 09:48:00 PM »
I was about 8 years old, but it didnt get real serious for me until I was about 12. I was living in Lolo Montana at the time, and a young man named Dick Robertson owned a small archery shop there. I hung out in the shop pretty much every day, and hunted a few times with Dick. I'm sure I bugged him to death, LOL. I got my first hunting weight bow from that shop by trading my mothers coffee pot for it. Great times!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Bought a solid glass Bear for $5 when I was 15, nobody in my family bowhunted. Wish I had it back now!!

41 years back it was... WOW
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
I made my first bow out if a piece of maple when I was right around 12.   It broke after a few days and the neighbor gave me an old Bear bow that I strung backwards and shot that way for about a month!   I ended up with a few more recurves over the next few years.   I went over to a compound through college and back to a recurve when I got married back in 1988.  That was 25 years ago.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »
Started at 6, now approaching 65.  Shot an early compound for a few years, missed seeing the arrow fly, and bought a bow from Tim Meigs.  No regrets, and I love watching that feather go down range
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
When I was about 10 back in the early 70's - started with my dad's grizzly then got my own kmag in 74.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
Its all there was when I started, as a kid. I am almost 58 now.  My first bows were solid fiberglass, which worked great for carp shooting, a favorite hobby. Miss and you can always beat the carp with the bow.

My first real bow was a new Damon Howatt Coronado. It was beautiful.  I was proud to carry that bow while deer and rabbit hunting.
ChuckC

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Back in the late 60's I was 13 when my uncle gave me a sweet recurve and gave me some shooting lessons. I had that bow for about 3 years before it was stolen. Loved that bow but switched to rifle hunting after it was gone.

Flash forward about 35 years. Never lost that earlier romance for archery. One day I decided to stop by Northwest Archery in Seattle after work. Spent some time talking with Glenn St. Charles that day and even shot a longbow. That experience lead to several more visits. Eventually I decided to buy a trad bow for my 50th birthday. And since then I've never looked back.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
I was about 10 when first introduced to archery back before the days of wheelie bows. We shot the green Indian Archery bows that were the equivalent of Bear's "Red Bear". (Boy, those were fun!). I got out of it for a number of years, and in the 70's I shot sporadically. It was the late 80's when I really got into it deep and have been heavily involved ever since. I will turn 63 in October.
Sam

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2012, 10:07:00 PM »
Put me down for 5 or so.  It was a bamboo bow that said "Niagra Falls" and came with a rubber headed tomahawk with red and yellow feathers.

Shortly thereafter a solid fiberglass Shakespeare (possibly Indian) recurved tip, and occasionally a lemonwood self bow (still have it) that was at my Grandpa's and I used to "hunt" bunnies in the apple orchard and clumps of dirt.

47 years ago.  How time flies.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
I think I was about 7. I wanted to be like my dad, I watched him shooting his Bear Kodiak Magnum. I got the bright idea to make my own bow and arrows. I found a hatchet in the shed and went to work. I used a chainsaw file to cut the string notches and bailing twine for a string. Mom came undone when she saw what was left of her lilac bushes. That was the best whooping I ever got. I slipped to the dark side for several years but returned to where I belong 8 or so years ago. I am almost 39 now.

Chris

Online BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
I started around 19 or 20 I think. I actually started with a compound but only shot it on occasion until I got my first recurve
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
I started shooting a bow when I was big enough to pull one. From the time I was 10 until 12 I shot a compound but the fun just wasn't there. I picked back up an old recurve laying around and started having fun with it. I got my first hunting weight trad bow when I was 12 so in a sense I started really shooting trad 6 years ago and haven't looked back.
James Kerr

Offline braveraven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
At age 8 in Mississippi,  my Daddy bought me a Ben Pearson, solid hickory bow at a local hardware store.  That bow and I wandered every patch of woods and every green field.  I'm 64 now and not so deep down I'm still that little boy with his bow and a hand full of arrows.

Offline Firewalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
I was 8 years old with a yew wood bow...many others since, plus some time with the wheels....back to trditional in the 80's and I'm now 68.....loving it!!

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
I started bowhunting with a recurve at age 14. I arrowed my first deer harvest at 16. I'm now 62 and still shooting recurves.  :thumbsup:
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
made a bow out of supple jack when i was 12 in fact me and my cousin made one each and we used to hunt rabbits with em well scared em more like it. and i have had a few bows since then  7 to be  exact and i still love to fling arrows at things        :scared:    :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©