3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My season is ruined! Washer ate my lucky hat.  (Read 486 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
My season is ruined! Washer ate my lucky hat.
« on: September 17, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
It's raining out so I figured it would be a good day to get some clothes ready for season. I have one camo ball cap that has been with me for many many seasons.
 I started writting dates of deer kills under the bill and as those slowly faded I would just put B or D for buck or doe. To say it is my favorite hat would be an understatement.

Well as the second load finished I pulled many worthless articles of unlucky clothing out to discover my hat had been caught in the upper rim of the wash and mangled beyond repair! Well I think it could be duct taped but it's just not the same.

Anybody have that special hat, socks, etc. that has been with them forever?
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My season is ruined! Washer ate my lucky hat.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »
Bummer.  This will give you a chance to explore all sorts of new head coverings.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
I have a lucky pullover that took a hit last year and got a good tear in the front. I'm just going to sew it up and keep it going!

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
You better find a new one fast!! and yes i have luck pieces of gear.. mojo...
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
No problem.....start over.......!!!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Kituwa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
Never never wash a lucky hat,,it ruins the mojo. If it gets just too smelly and crusty it is ok to wear it in a rainstorm , but never put it in the wash!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I usually just wear them in the shower and soap them up real good. I got in a hurry and paid the price.

My wife thinks its not that bad and I'm over reacting. I have had the hat longer than her though.  :laughing:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
:notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Um, I think you have a "new" knife to add some mojo to.  I'm not sure I have anything that is good "mojo" for me, I haven't killed a deer in a few years.  Maybe this will be my year...

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
Jeremy,
 That knife has already been moved to #1 hunting/skinning position pending further field testing.    :thumbsup:

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
I have a special lucky hat and a lucky shirt. Yep, I'm that lucky!    :D    
I finally had to retire the hat. It has so many holes in it I am afraid to wear it any longer. The shirt use to have insulation in it. It was brown and tan plad with a dark border around the squares. Now it is all just very lite tan plad with nearly white squares in it.It has several patches on it. Its a sight! I still wear it regular while hunting.

All lucky hats should only be washed in the dishwasher!

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
I'm with Kituwa on this one. I've had the same felt hat since i was
11 and i am 34 now. The old girl has only seen rain water. On the up side there are alot of cool hats out there to try. Good luck making another lucky hat!

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kituwa:
Never never wash a lucky hat,,it ruins the mojo. If it gets just too smelly and crusty it is ok to wear it in a rainstorm , but never put it in the wash!
My sentiments exactly. My Filson Packer, which I purchased new in the early 90's, gets a wax treatment now and then (wax keeps out the rain but keeps in the mojo). But that's it.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
If you hurry, I think there are a few of the Trad Gang hats still available.  Good, versatile cap, and lots of good Mojo from everyone gathered here!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Online Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
Ha ha... great thread! Lol I have a hat that was my first hunting hat. Wish a could put a photo up :) I have a photo of me wearing it at 10 years old with my favorite dog Peggy and one of many woodchucks we overwhelmed! Its that old school woodland camo with a coon on the front. The lining was kinda foam insulation which disintegrated into my hair after years but it hangs on the wall of my hunting room providing a smirk every time I see it. I love that hat but I suppose its the memories made while wearing it I cherish... seeing the hat simply reminds me...
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
A friend of mine once shot my lucky hat with his shotgun.  He was upset that I was hitting more clays than he was.  After that the hat looked terrible, but I figured it had even more mojo so I just kept wearing it.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
You do realize that you are now obligated to buy a brand new lucky hat... and a brand new lucky jacket.. and a brand new lucky pair of wool pants... and a brand new pair of lucky hunting boots. You know, just to keep everything well balanced in your lucky hunting wardrobe. Don't regard this as a bad break, but rather as a golden opportunity. Make lemonade before you lose the chance.
Sam

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I set my lucky hat down while scouting on saturday. Walked right away from it. Now I have to find a replacement.

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
it ain't luck if it dies by washer!  Find another hat that has better luck.  ... put a dropped feather in it - preferably from a raptor or owl.   ....
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 01:33:00 AM »
Wash my lucky hat all the time. over 100 lost count. coyotes in three years and 12 buy bow. Only one deer had to cheat. Im with Knotter Was unlucky to die in a washer.  Get a boonie ,cut the other up and sew it on the boonie for that ghilly look.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©