3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tradtional Archery Growing??  (Read 367 times)

Offline Dave N./TX

• Trad Bowhunter
Tradtional Archery Growing??
« on: September 17, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
With the movies "Brave" and "Hunger Games" the news reported a big increase in people getting into traditional archery.

I have not seen any evidence of this increase - Have you??

Seems to me that there is a big increase in the people buying crossbows here in Texas after it being legalized for anyone wanting to use it during regular bow season. I would have liked its use restricted to gun season - but Tx Parks and Wildlife sure did not ask me.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "WOW, what a ride!!" Unknown Author

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tradtional Archery Growing??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Many of the archery clubs in my area have free introductory classes on the weekends.
Every single club has seen a huge increase of interest in these classes. Most of the clubs have had to turn people away due to so many showing up.
The bowmaking group I hang out with has seen an increase in people wanting to make their own bows, mostly teen girls and young women. We do our best to accomodate everyone.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
I for one hope those movies don't  bring in a huge influx of people suddenly wanting to rush into the woods with a stick and string bow. Now don't get me wrong. I want our sport to grow. But I want it to grow the right way...and we all know it takes time to become proficient enough in our shooting to be ethical hunters.

Besides, I'd hate to see traditional bowhunting become "yuppyified" the way fly fishing was following the popularity of the early 90's movie "A River Runs Through It".
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Well, Rooselk, I don't think in the long run there will be much harm done. True, there may be a brief rush of wannabes running loose in the woods, but after the new wears off, the yuppie crowd will, for the most part, take up the next sudden craze as they always do. But then we will be left with a few newcomers who really do take the trad life to heart. Those are the ones we will welcome warmly to the campfire. But I sure do understand your concern.
Sam

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Since Hunger Games came out we have had probably 20-25 calls mostly from 11-19 year olds who want to learn traditional archery. We have dedicated one night in the shop each week for kids with a lot of shooting with a little instruction thrown in. It's about half girls and half guys and most of them are more interested in shooting a bow than hunting. Some of them are starting to shoot pretty good. Two of the girls were shooting behind their back last Thursday and not doing to bad. The future looks pretty good for traditional archery. We are probably going to see more women shooting in the future.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
I agree with the above post, I too have seen mostly young girls and boys rushing in, which is a good thing I see.  It will introduce them to something besides just organized sports. Also, the flame flickers fast on dry kindle, but a few of these kids will have a lifetime of firewood stored up from there shooting as a youth. And in turn this will produce more new archers, bowers , leathersmiths, and all the other talented individuals that make up this wonderful sport.

And the the older crowd who rushes in to fit what's in, well some will stay and others will sell their bows for dirt cheap on e.....y and cr......list, and I will be there to gladly give the bow a new home!!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
I hope everyone tries it,we need all the three d shooters and enthusiest that we can get,hunting isn't for everyone the more interest we get in the sport the better.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
I've had a couple of neighbors kids -  all girls - take up archery and begin shooting with me in the past few months.  No interest in bowhunting yet, but it's OK.  When one displays that interest, then's the opportunity to teach yet more.  I am not really worried about the kids I am seeing running into the woods willy-nilly.
Jim

Offline Steve D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
No, regardless of media exposure,at least here where I live in Wisconsin.

Offline traditionalman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Our club is up from 5 traditional to 12 traditional shooters. I think the movie did help but with winter coming on and people not shooting will they return next year.
Gary King

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
I guess I'm to the point in my life where I really don't see any need for trad to "grow".  It is what it is, and only a small portion of archers are ever going to truly appreciate it anyway, especially as long as other forms of launching arrows continue to be available to them that are easier to do and quicker to learn.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline JO_EZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
We have a Salvation Army Kroc center by our house and this summer they offered a couple sessions of archery in addition to the usuall basket ball, soccer and tennis. My 7 year old daughter signed up and had a good time with it. There was a mix of boys and girls. I think the olymipics might have encouraged a couple of kids to look at archery, also.

I am not sure how these kids will be able to continue if they were so inclined unless they have parents who are into it. You just can't send a kid out into the yard to shoot dandy lions here in the city. But who knows what will stick with a kid.
I started shooting a longbow because I thought it would simplify things and it did... now I simply need to get a whole lot closer to hit anything.

Work'n when I have to, fish'n when I can...

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »
Our instruction program is going crazy and my son taught archery all summer-they literally had to turn some prospective students away.
Our club is about 3/4 Trad. Who knows if this will be a long term gain or a short term fad. I'm glad to see the interest either way.

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
The area where I live traditional archery is laughed at. Every friend/co-worker/family member (except for immediate family) laughs at or pokes fun at the fact I made the switch to traditional archery. Honestly I think some of it is out of jeoliousy. Maybe not?? My point is I wish traditional archery would pick up a little steam and get some new people interested especially children and young adults. I think it will benefit our sport for the future. I know my 2 year old daughter will have a custom recurve or longbow from Mad-Dog archery here in a year or two. I figure if I expose it to her young enough it will be in her and she may stay with it.
Kota Prairie Fire 55@28 60"
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 56@28 58"
Treadway Black Swamp 52@28 58"

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
Traditional archery is growing, but not because of non-hunters seeing a movie. Nor major growth going to come from children of existing trad shooters.

Any major "growth" of traditional archery, post 1970's, always was and always will come from the very large ranks of existing compound hunters who've grown bored with the compound.

I'm one of those folks myself. And, within the last couple years, 3 of my buddies who've shot compounds for 20 plus years also are in the transition of switching over full time.

That's why it's important not to turn up noses or make statements like "training wheels" about compound shooters, many of which are top notch hunters. Many of the strongest future advocates for traditional archery are still shooting compounds but haven't switched yet.

Also notice the increase in magazines now covering "stickbows".

Contrary to what some believe, the hunting industry follows the trends of hunters desires, not the other way around. If hunters did or didn't want stickbow sections, they'd let the editors know it.

My guess is, with the aging demographics of current bow hunters (mostly compound), we're see even more bowhunters make the switch as compounds become further removed from being bows and as hunters mature as hunters and as people.
We'll see more of those who are able, turning to lower weight trad bows and we'll see many older compound shooters who are unable switch to x-bows.

Either way, I predict a very noiceable increase in traditional archery from here on out. Traditional archery isn't "primative" unless you want it to be. With composite takedowns, carbon arrows, etc, current compound shooters can see that the performance of trad archery is pretty impressive.

The "in the wilderness years" from the invention of the compound to the early 2000's is over. I also think the internet has a lot to do with the potential growth of trad archery. Without the internet, I doubt I'd have switched. I didn't know where to start or even that a great trad shop was only 15 minutes from my home.

Despite the simplicity of trad archery, most compound shooters are intimidated by trad archery. I didn't even know how to string a bow, let alone how to adjust brace height. And bareshafting was like reading Chinese. Sure, it's all so easy now, but as an accomplished compound shooter starting in 1978, I had no idea and was frankly intimidated by the whole idea of switching over. For that reason, the internet and more magazine coverage only helps get more into the sport.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
Look at it this way guys, if they all buy new bows, or have new bows made, and then decide they would rather pick up on another new craze, the market will be flooded and we all get new cheap toys.  Its a win/win.

Ya just gotta think logically.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Dave-I'm afraid to say here in Michigan, they are buying crossbows like they are going out of style! I think some guys are just afraid to make the commitment to shooting instinctive! Not sure if trad archery is growing, I suspect it is. I think the guy to ask would be TJ Conrad to see if he is selling more magazines than say, 5 years ago! JMHO  Thank you sir!

Kenny    :bigsmyl:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
I teach high school and there has been a marked increase in teenage interest in traditional/primitive archery the past year or two.  I don't know how many will stick with it; the average teenage attention span being measured, quite  literally, in single digit seconds, but it's good to see.
Silence is golden.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
I archery in general keeps getting more popular and as it does traditional keeps getting new people expirimenting. High tech archery is just more saturated so thats where most archers turn to first.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Maybe I should say bowhunting rather than archery though.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©