3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not worrying 'bout scent control?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not worrying 'bout scent control?
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
Iv always used scent control to varying degrees. There is definitely an art to it. I believe the biggest problem most have in their attempts is not being able to smell their mistakes. I mainly use it to minimize the scent I leave in my hunting areas. I find it of great benefit. I also just like to go out and hunt without worrying about it, but I do that in areas I don't normally hunt. Iv never bought into the scent blocking clothes thing.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
This is what Rueters found when testing scent lok

sample time = 1 hour)      % Reduction Odor Permeation                
Fleece Balaclava w/out carbon              5%
Fleece Balaclava w/Scent-Lok®              99%
Base Layer w/out carbon                    19%
Base Layer w/Scent-Lok®                    98%
Hunting Jacket w/out carbon                11%
Hunting Jacket w/Scent-Lok®                97%
Hunting Pants w/out carbon                 32%
Hunting Pants w/Scent-Lok®                 98%

there does seem to be a rather large differnce between molecules trapped by carbon scent lok verses non-carbon clothing.  They also tested the other carbon clothing which did no fair near as well.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
rubber boots, watch the wind....... Deer where I hunt use caution when they contact human scent but they dont go into a panic. Lots of exposure to farmers, loggers, well workers etc. They will usually just change direction and sneek out of the area if they get a real nose full. If you didnt spot them first you never would have seen them..........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
omg.....so they basically won their case by challenging what definition of 'literal falsity' the initial ruling judge used.   this is laughable:

The judge presiding over the appeal ruled that ALS’s use of the terms “odor eliminating” and “reactivation” was not literally false. According to a press release issued by ALS, the judge ruled that “the district court had erred in ‘basing its determination of literal falsity on the most absolute of competing dictionary definitions of the word eliminate.’” Interestingly, the appellate court also gave substantial weight to the fact that ALS “introduced evidence of substantial customer satisfaction with ALS’s Scent Lok ™ products.” The court also ordered the dismissal of all claims for injunctive relief, stating “Plaintiffs failed to prove both the requisite irreparable injury and their core allegations that Defendants’ use of the terms ‘odor eliminating and reactivation’ were literally false.’”
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
No the court had it tested by Rueters and it was scientifically proven to absorb 95%.... not sure what part of that you don't understand.The judgement was that the science proved that the initial claim was false and unproven.  Rueters had no pony in the fight.

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
The reason I posted at all is that a lot of people are claiming that it doesn't work (myself included for years) and yet science is now actually proving it does in fact adsorb 95-97% of human molecules... think I'll keep an open mind and trust thst Rueters findings are probably a little more accurate then personal opinions.

Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
Wash my clothes in baking soda and dry outside. Other then that I just pay attention to the wind.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by DaveT1963:
I am re-thinking this one on carbon suits.  Reason being is that most of what I consider the honest, public land bowhunter "celebs" that I put value in their mehtods (John Eberhart, Bobby Worthington, Pastor William Vale, etc.) ALL to a one of them uses carbon clothing.  Their track records on public, high pressured hunting lands speak for themselves.  Then the court actually through out the law suit against Scent Lok when they ordered them to send suits over to Rueters for testing and the results came back that Scent Lok was in the 95 and up% range for adsobing
odors.  They also found that re-activated carbon was still effective at adsorbing odors.

Now I don't believe anything will remove 100% but I have learned from trapping and hunting that it is concentration and newness of odors that usually alert animals.  Even if scent lok only removes 25% of your released body odor that is bettern than nothing.  Same with rubber boots, I know for a fact that my trapping canines is ALWAYS better when I wear rubber boots and rubber gloves.  Is it 100% effective - probably not, but I believe it removes enough of the scent contamination that some game animals are not nearly as alert.

And I know all about tracking dogs and their abilities - but I have also seen the same dogs not be able to locate an escaped convict and I have had a few coon dogs lose a hot track on a bare footed coon.

I am going to keep an open mind on this one and retry some of these products/methods.  Yes I will always pay attention to the wind as much as I am able but even if it works on only one P&Y buck is it worth it????

I still use (year round) scent free detergent and ivory soap.  I hang my clothes to dry, smoke them with a bee smoker at times and I store them in seperate containers.... adding scent lok base layers shouldn't be much of a problem.

It has been stated repeatedly on this post that if a deer is downwind of you they will smell you no matter what....this simply is not always the case.  There are eddies, updrafts and thermals that can carry scent right above that deers nose even if he is downwind. I have seen many deer downwind of me that should have but did not pick up my scent - sorry but it happens.  And I would like to know just how it was determined that a deer detected 10 day old scent.... that also would have a lot to do with the conditions voer that 10 day period.  If this was the case a tracking dog would always locate a missing person or escapee - just doesn't happen folks.  I have scene tracking dogs that were unable to pick up, and/or follow even a 2 hour old track.

and like mentioned above - it is not only the scent left while you are there - it is the scent left behind that also alerts wary pressured bucks.  A pressured mature whitetail that knows he is being hunted, at least where I hunt, is pretty much nocturnal even during most of the rut.
For the price at least, I'm not sure the carbon clothing is necessary,but nothing wrong with it for sure. The rest of what you said is a great summation and I couldn't agree more.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
Why worry about something that you can avoid. I play the wind. If it is blowing the wrong way I change my  plans. If it changes while I am sitting, and I hunt the ground, I get out of there. It doesn't matter how long or how little I have been there, if the wind gets wacky I am out of there.

I do take certain precautions, clean clothes washed in scent-free  detergent and hung outside to dry. Knee high rubber boots that get hosed down with scent killer spray. I try to not touch anything going into the area I am going to hunt and I will step in every pile of "wild deer berries" I come across heading in.

I do get a little crazy with diet as it gets close to Archery season.
 I have not had any red meat since late August, I think your body gives off certain odors that are more alarming to deer when you eat red meat. Call me crazy, but I like getting close and this seems to work for me. I also eat a pile of apples this time of year, not because it is hunting season, I just like apples. Six or seven a day plus I am usually eating one on the way to my sit. I'm probably peeing apple cider.

If you can't get past there nose........game's over!

Good Hunting,
                                                                    Craig

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
I think most of the people on this site do enough hunting that you start to realize you can only get away with so much, so you may as well just take care of the basics (don't put on fresh Old Spice) and PLAY THE WIND!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
If use use an ozonics you don't have to worry about it. Just ax Lee and Tiffany

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2014, 10:28:00 PM »
I can't afford all that expensive stuff...I hang my camo outside for a day throw it on and hunt with wind on my favor...it works just fine
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Other then trying to play the wind, when I can, I do not even consider it. Of course I am not the most successful guy around either,lol.

Oops, just seeing that this is an old post,lol. At least I gave the same answer twice,lol.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
Yes its important to keep clean as you can just to minimize our scent.
Scentless soap and laundry detergent are a good thing.
But,
if the wind is wrong, they will smell us no matter what we do.
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 29, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
I shower because I like to be clean. Same soap, same deodorant as any other time.
I washed my hunting cloths once last year...I think.
You can smell like a garbage truck if you're downwind, and any attempt to conceal your smell will fail if you are upwind. IMHO.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
For me, rubber boots to and from the stand are effective to reduce the amount of scent left behind. I have watched deer repetedly walk over trails I had crossed a day before and not show any alarm. Thay also seem to show no alarm over tracks left by rubber boots just an hour earler. The claim of 97% effectiveness of carbon is fine except for one thing. That means 3% is still active and deer may find that just as scary as anything more too. I hang my clothes outdoors on a hanger when not in use. My hat too. I wont even sit in a stand thats wrong for the wind on a given day. Been busted so many times even back when I was real careful that I decided it wasnt worth the effort.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 29, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »
I stay as clean as I can, but not insane like I used to be. I do hunt smarter now, used the wind as best as I can and absolutely enjoy myself so much more.
David M. Conroy

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
I wash my hunting clothes every time I hunt in them. After I take them out of the dryer I put them on the line for around 24 hours. Then in a Rubbermade container until I hunt in them. During hunting season I use Ivory soap on myself.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 29, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
My best hunting spots are where my deer like to hang out, or near where they like to hang out. The reason the deer like these spots is for one huge reason....swirling wind! I hunt the Allegheny hills of NY. At least 75% of the time you can't just play the wind. How many of you guys that JUST play the wind get busted at least as many times as you don't?The other problem with this discussion is wind dynamics in the area or areas of the part of the country you hunt. Also the seemingly endless factors where scent and scent control is concerned. I believe too many guys contaminate their gear and themselves unknowingly. Ask any canine trapper how Important scent control is to their success!!! Like I said, scent control is a learned art threw trial and error.I understand also that it's a lot easier and less work to "just play the wind".
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
I shower with scent free soap,apple or vanilla shampoo, and spray on scent elliminator. My hunting cloths are washed scent free and hung out to dry then stored in plastic barrels with leaves. Still I get busted sometimes. Unless you can get delivered to your stand in a plastic bubble I dont think scent free or cover scents are foolproof.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©