3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nicolson file question  (Read 416 times)

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
Nicolson file question
« on: August 10, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
Whats the difference bewteen a flat bastard file and mill bastard file? Is the flat a double cut file? Thanks. Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nicolson file question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
a flat is usually double cut on the flat sides, single cut on the edges, and a mill bastard is a single cut that tapers in width toward the end away from the tang, I believe.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
you are right ray.  :thumbsup:  any way both files will work good on double blade broadheads.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
Ray has it right. Remember to use your file for broadheads only and it will last much longer and save you a sharpening headache. I even take a sharpie and number the sides of the file 1 & 2. I use side 1 for rough filing my Wensel Woodsmans, hogging off the rough mill finish. Side 2 is for the light strokes after all my sharpie marks have been taken off the WW. If you will chalk the file first it will stay cleaner too. I use a tootbrush style brass brush to clean the filings out of the teeth of the file, cuts much faster and cleaner. Better get you some Rogaine to help grow hair to test your Wensel Woodsmans. You will be clean shaven for sure !!!

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
Thanks Guys,

I wore out my first file trying to get the hang of sharpening my broad heads. Just when I was getting better at it my file quit biting on the metal. Today I went and bought the Nicolson but was a little confused when I saw the mill next to the flat andthey both appeared to be the same. I think the mill is a finer cut as well? Not sure. Nocams, do you chalk up before sharpening and then clean with brass brush? I heard that the chalk will absorb moisture and start to rust the file. Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
When you wear out the Nicolson files, they make great knife blades!

Offline nockhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
Nicolson files are my favorite, for knives.

Mike
" Aim high and let em fly "   my son Nick

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 09:50:00 PM »
Amicus,
Are you sure the mill file was a mill bastard ? Within the mill family you have Mill Bastard and Mill Smooth, obviously the mill smooth is a little finer pitch. Get you a Nicholson 12-16" mill bastard and mark the sides 1 & 2 mentioned above. Chalk the file up before you start and as you work occasionally use a brass brush or file card to clean the teeth out. Do not touch the face of the file with your sweaty and oily hands and your file will stay cleaner longer. Most files rust from sweaty hands ! Since the file is so large you really have no need to touch it anyway, you will simply place it on the bench and be dragging your Wensels backwards over the file. Hope this helps ya out ? Yes, 12 years of aerospace machinist work will teach one the in's and out's of files, haha !!!

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 11:36:00 PM »
The mill means a single cut.  Bastard is coarse, smooth is finer.  Shorter files have finer teeth.  Most trad suppliers have some very good smooth cut files.  Always cut into the file's teeth.  Dragging backwards dulls the file.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Artur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 03:44:00 AM »
When using any type of file, do not apply pressure on the return stroke, i.e. when you return the file to the "starting the cut" position. If you do, you will make the file wear out faster.

They are designed to cut in ONE direction only.
Artur - Archer/Fletcher; To Live Is To Learn, To Learn Is to Live

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
Dan and Mike -- files are brittle and break easily. Do you take some of the temper out for knife blades? I have several old ones I'd like to experiment with, but don't want knives that break. Thanks, dave

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
Dave, I have only made a handful of knives with files, I have never done anything to change the temper.
Yes, they are very hard, and are harder to sharpen.  But once sharp, they stay sharp for a long time.
Never had one problem with brittleness, period. Never a break, or chipped edge ever. But I don't use them for prying either!
Dan

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 04:16:00 PM »
Thanks, Dan. But sometimes a fella just has to pry! LIke the root that sticks you in the butt at an otherwise perfect ground blind. I'll give it a whirl.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©