3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground hunting question  (Read 426 times)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground hunting question
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
For those of you who don't sit in a blind lets see pics of what you sit on. Tree seats,chairs,stools etc. I've hunted a few times from the ground and have used the top of my lone wolf hand climber.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground hunting question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
This or knee pads.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Tomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
I like to use my Huntmore chair. It's a little bulky to carry around but there isn't anything more comfy or versatile period. Their in the sponsor list.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Top of the LW hand climber is hard to beat.  That's what I use when I want to sit up against a tree.  Easy to carry, fast to put up, and comfortable.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Top of the LW hand climber is hard to beat.  That's what I use when I want to sit up against a tree.  Easy to carry, fast to put up, and comfortable.
Me too, works great.  With a bungie it folds up fast, silent, and flat against the tree it you want to stand.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
I usually don't carry anything. I will just kneel down for an hour or so. When I get tired I will get up and slowly move to another spot.
James Kerr

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
walkstool or a piece of blue foam.  the walkstool has the comfort edge by a mile.  you can also convert it to a backrest if you're sitting on the ground.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Here's one of the places I liked to stop at and setup my Torge's Seat. I've used that seat a lot this year. I finally modified it with a Prussik Knot to make the hanging and adjustment a lot faster and quieter (Made this mod after this hunt.)

Chuck

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
George I use several types of seats. The Torges seat is pretty good. I've seen one of the guys we hunt with modify it so it folds in half making it easier to carry. I also use a small folding seat that works ok. And I have used a 6 gallon plastic spackle bucket that I painted so it don't stick out like a sore thumb. But if your tree stand seat is comfy go with that cause what I use aren't very comfy.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
I hunt on the ground exclusively in a ghillie suit and I use the Huntmore stools. They are some of the best equipment I have ever purchased. Yeah, they're expensive and, yeah, they're kinda heavy but so is a climbing treestand and a lot of us don't think twice about buying one of those and carrying it around.

I recently got the new, smaller model of the Huntmore and, so far, it is working out as well as its bigger brother. It's also about 1.5 pounds lighter! Last Sunday I killed a turkey while sitting in it so it seems to have some pretty good mojo too.

If you want to buy a chair that is infinitely adjustable, dead quiet, all-day-long comfortable, and built like a tank then you won't regret getting a Huntmore.

Darren

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
If I sit, I look for a fallen log or blowdown, rock, or the ground. I hate carrying stuff around.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline rvrbtm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
I have and use the Huntmore "BUT" how to get the thing out of the bag and the snaps fastened without so much noise. Every critter within two miles must know where I am located. Any suggestions for an old man been grounded by Grandma and probably for good reason. Better to see nothing than be a statistic.

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
Check out the Hunters Hammock seat, it is the best ground hunting seat I have ever used. it weighs about 1.5 pounds and costs less than $50.00 and it is all day comfortable. I Bowhunt out of treestands mostly, but I have sat in the Hammock from dark to dark a few times.

www.thehammockseat.com
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I hunted with the "Waldrop Pack Seat" last season and found it comfortable and easy to carry. When hunting way back in on public land or just moving around looking for a good setup its hard to beat the "Waldrop". With that said I purchased a 3rd generation "Huntmore" in early August. I havn't hunted with it yet, but I can sure vouch for its comfort and craftmanship. Its extremely quiet and the 360 degree rotation makes for a stable shooting platform in all directions. Between these two seats I've covered all my bases. Now its time to hunt. Good luck with your quest and "Keep'Um Sharp".   :campfire:

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
Mike, I leave my Huntmore together and fasten it onto the back of my pack that I carry my ghillie in.

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
I use a Niff-T-Seat.  It's a great little seat.  It has no backrest, so if that is important to you, then I would pass, but I've literally sat for hours deer hunting with this thing and it was more comfortable than I imagined it would be.  It's also very easy to turn (quietly) and manuever to make shots you can't normally make on a seat that has a static/rigid base.

Last season when I got it, I simply used the belt attachment that came with it, so it hung off my waist behind me; this worked well.

However, I bought an Eberlestock Mini-Me backpack in recent months, used it on some scouting trips and while dove hunting.  This pack has compression straps, so what I did was just put the straps around the seat and lash it to the outside of the pack.  Found that this worked really well and will be using this setup when our season starts (less than two weeks!  yeah).
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
x2 on the Hammock Seat.  I love mine.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline rvrbtm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Thanks Haverstick I'll give it a try. Hope not to get hung in a thicket. Just curious is Haverstick Cove on Pomme named after any of your kin?

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
Mike, there ain't very many of us Haversticks so I would suspect that it was named after some kin of mine. If they have a lot of money, I sure would like to meet 'em!

Darren

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
Walkstool works great for me!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©