3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sika hunt on Chincoteague NWR?  (Read 277 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Sika hunt on Chincoteague NWR?
« on: September 18, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
Anyone here done the archery hunt for Sika on Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge?

I got drawn for the Oct. 29-31 hunt and would like to hear from anyone with any experience in the bowhunts.

I've hunted there a half dozen times or so during the gun hunts, but, from what I can gather, that's a completely different type of hunt when compared to the bowhunt.

Thanks
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sika hunt on Chincoteague NWR?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
How difficult is it to draw ?  How costly ?  Can you camp there on site ?  Is access by foot or must you have a watercraft ?
Thanks
ChuckC

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 05:45:00 AM »
Chuck,
Its not difficult at all to draw.  Three of us who hunt together applied this year for the archery hunt and all three of us were drawn.  Cost for applying is negligible ($5) and then hunt permit for the NWR is $20.  You also have to have Virginia hunting and big game license to hunt.  I'll try to check the non-resident prices on those and post them this evening.
No camping on site, but the town of Chincoteague is right across the bay from the island.  Camping, cottages, and motels there.
Access is by foot off of the service road that runs the length of the island.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Couple of campgrounds in town, Maddox and Tom's Cove.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
:campfire:
Ken Adkins

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Is there a causeway or road to drive across to the island ?

This sounds like a fun future hunt.

I would sure like to hear more about your hunt.
CHuckC

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
Oh yeah.  You drive from the town of Chincoteague over to the Wildlife Refuge.
Here's a link to the NWR website.  Chincoteague is both an NWR and a National Park.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/chinco/index.html
Ken Adkins

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Chuck,
Sent you a PM.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Ken, how is the shoulder?  I drew for the first hunt (22-24 Oct), so I will let you know how it goes.  This will be my first hunt there, so PM me if you have any advice on how to get onto the Sika or whitetail.  Do they assign the hunt area at the orientation briefing?  I am very familiar with Assateague since I tested at Wallops Is. 10-12 weeks a year for 23 years before retiring last year.  Always wanted to make this hunt, but never had time before this year.
U.S. Navy Retired 1965-1989
TGMM Family of the Bow

There are 2 secrets to wisdom: 1. Never tell everything you know.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Mac,
From what I've been told and can gather from the website, they open zone 2 and 2a (wheelchair bound hunters) and then all zones from the gate on the service road off the wildlife loop drive all the way up to the Maryland Border.
I'm working on putting together some information.  
Really interested in comparing your hunt with mine for #hunters and the Sika activity.
I'll send you a PM with the specifics.
Ken Adkins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©