3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: proper way to wear a back quiver?  (Read 295 times)

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
proper way to wear a back quiver?
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
just started using one and the arrows seem hard to reach. Mine has the costomary two straps but  i wonder if I'm wearing it correctly. Does the shoulder strap go over the shoulder, or over and across the chest? Where should the bottom of the quiver be?
THanks guys!
Charlie

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: proper way to wear a back quiver?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
"Hard to reach" is just one of many reasons I don't care for them...especially for hunting.

Other reasons:

Feathers exposed to weather and overhanging limbs.

Tough to keep arrows quiet and stationary.

Inconvenient with back pack.

Too much movement involved in drawing arrow.

But...they look good and Howard Hill used one.
Lon Scott

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Hey Charlie......from time to time,  Ive been known to use a back quiver.  I use the Safari Tuff Duiker model....it is very similar to the Arrow Master model that you may have heard about.  I am a right handed shooter.....when I wear the quiver,  the quiver is on my back,  strap across my chest diagonaly going from my left shoulder,  down across my chest, to my right hip bone.  I draw or pull the arrows with my right hand,  through a long opening on the side/bottom of the quiver.  You load this quiver from the top,  and remove arrows from the bottom....its a slick design!  If you like a back quiver from hunting,  this is the one!  It eliminates 99.9% of the problems that CAN be associated with a back quiver as "Blackhawk" mentions!  Give it a look....and there are lots of Arrowmaster/Duiker fans here as well!  :thumbsup:

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
Charlie,  a couple pics while wearing the quiver....notice the hole in the lower portion of the quiver to remove your arrows.....

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
Charlie,
You need a single strap quiver. For a right handed archer the strap goes over your head and lays on your right shoulder and comes across the chest to the lower left attaching to the lower corner at the base of the quiver. The strap needs to be attached in the proper position top and bottom to allow the arrows to position correctly so you can reach them easily.  Most 2 strap quivers hold the quiver in near vertical position and do not allow the quiver to be shifted as is sometimes necessary. I would refer you over to the HOWARD HILL thread where you can see pics of a properly fitted hunting back quiver.  Every quiver has it's draw backs when it comes to hunting, for target use most anything will work. I have them all none is perfect but each has it's place. I would suspect the 2 strap you have is a less than ideal back quiver as the attaching points for the shoulder strap are not located that will allow it to lay correctly.

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
Double strap quivers   are never easy to use  Single strap   are far better  especially for hunting .
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
Charlie,
Drop down to the PA-spot back quiver post below for some good pics.

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
What 58 Winters said regarding the way it goes onto your back.
Understand that an important difference between top end quivers is design. Good design will see to it that the strap is contoured to the shoulder so the quiver hangs well. Good design will also set the strap attachment points to position the arrows, where they can easily be reached. HH Archery makes a fine quiver. Art Vincent, makes a better one, (my opinion), of the same type of quiver.
The ideal place to buy a quiver is at a meet where there are lot of dealers, like Denton. There you can try on quivers.
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
As for Adjustment, I wear mine high enough on my back that I can take my bow hand and push the quiver up my back just a little bit so I have no trouble reaching my arrows.   :thumbsup:   For Hunting, I prefer a 4 Arrow Bow Quiver, its light and fits my bow Perfectly!
  Back Quivers take a little getting used to and some wee adjustments until you get it Just Right. Dont Give Up, just keep Tweaking!!  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Owlmagnet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
With the exception of carrying a pack while hunting, I find the Howard Hill-type quiver to meet my needs very well, once it is broken in. Now that I've gotten used to it, I doubt I could be talked into using anything else....

Be well and good luck.

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Usually people who complain about hard to reach arrows that are loud and catching in brush have too stiff of a quiver and haven't figured out the best place for them.  I can move through brush easier with my back quiver and bow than with a bow mounted quiver.  The HH quiver or Sunset Hill quiver are the two best.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
I've added what I call a "Mudd flap" to the strap and with less movement than bumping my quiver I have my arrows at my finger tips.

If your arrows are bumping around there are two possible causes, 1) your quiver isn't broken in or 2) you're trying to move to fast through the woods.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
When I made my back quiver I had to keep a few things in mind -
It had to put the arrow nocks where I could reach them without turning around in circles like a dog chasing his tail.
It had to be deep enough to protect the arrows.
It had to be shallow enough that I could lift the arrow high enough for it to come out of the quiver.
It took making some mock ups of the quiver to get everything right and it took some time, but the results work well.
Note that I don't use it for hunting. The areas I hunt require me to take a lot of water and a Camelback doesn't work well with a back quiver.  

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©