3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad shooters and pipe smokers  (Read 625 times)

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad shooters and pipe smokers
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I like to mix Captain Black vanilla with Captain Black Cherry, makes a nice smoke. I like a pipe full but really enjoy a Rockey Patel cigar. Get a box a month in the mail.

Offline Gila Mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
I have many pipes but only smoke when out in the wilds ... camping and hunting or fishing. When I was young, I smoked all the "nice smelling" tobaccos like Sail and Amphora but gradually moved to Dunhill blends and have used nothing else for the last 25 or 30 years. My favorite is Early Morning Pipe.

Mike
"Hunt ethically and in fair chase. You'll know the feeling when you have done it right!"  .......(Glenn St. Charles, Bows on the Little Delta)

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
I used to mix Black Cavendish and Burley nice flavor and mellow very little tongue bite. You guys making me miss it, this November 3 years without a bowl.
...Mark

Offline False Cast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
I love a nice english. I've never had a pipe out bowhunting but I have plenty of times in the duck blind. McClelland's 5100 straight VA with a year in the cellar is tops if you don't let it overheat!

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 02:11:00 AM »
Been smoking a pipe since I was in High School (always the legal stuff). The off the shelf blends never really did it for me...although when I run out, borkum riff black cherry would have to suffice. There is a place back home that will ship tobacco anywhere and they have a nice variety of blends. PM me for their info (dont want to get yelled at for posting it here) I'll even give ya a list of the tobacco I've used of theirs.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »
I don't know about flavor, I just smoke to look cool.   :confused:    :biglaugh:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Interesting observation. Most of the trad shooters I knew as a kid also smoked a pipe. I did myself for a long time.

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »
yeah in the Bowhunters Den book there are some cool old pictures of trad bowhunters smoking a pipe.... the best one was Grover Gouthier
Leon Stewart 3 piece TD "Slammer" 62" 54lbs
Black Widow PCHX 60" 53 lbs

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Puff 'em if ya got 'em!    :bigsmyl:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
In our Shrew Haven deer camp the pipes and a couple cigars come out after supper to be enjoyed along with a glass of scotch or bourbon. A couple of the guys leave their pipes right in camp because that's the only time that they smoke.

I started smoking corn cob pipes loaded with corn silk when I was a young lad. Next came Yellow Bowl pipes loaded with Prince Albert. Then later when I became a little more sophisticated I smoked KayWoodie pipes and Mixture 79 tobacco.

Now I only smoke a pipe during hunting season and especially around a campfire. I get my favorite blend from a tobacco shop that I've been buying from since the early 1960's

Here's a picture of me from those younger days with my pipe.

Below is a picture of Ernest Hemmingway who was an avid pipe smoker, without his pipe ....notice the resemblance?..         :rolleyes:       ...         :D          

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
No.    :laughing:  

To tell the truth, I thought the first picture was Hemingway at first glance.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 08:46:00 AM »
Something  for pipe smokers to read

http://www.pbgeorge.com/page100.html
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
ME TOO !!!    I keep my   pipes at my   hunting camp in Upper PA .  I only smoke any more when hunting or    at Denton Hill in the summer.    
    I'll try to find some old pics  
       Special Whiskey blend  that a local Tobacconist carries !     YUM
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
Erinmore mixture is one of my favorites. Never tried the dunhill stuff. Some of it gets pricy for an everyday pipe smoker
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 04:51:00 PM »
from your above article Mr. LaClairPipe... smokers are generally viewed as thoughtful, reliable and relaxed

Think of all the pipe smokers who lived to be in their 90'a.... President Reagan, President Ford to name a few....stress release
Leon Stewart 3 piece TD "Slammer" 62" 54lbs
Black Widow PCHX 60" 53 lbs

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
Great pics guys.  Hey, dumb question here, but would pipe smoke spook deer or hogs?  I haven't thought of smoking while sitting in the blind, but if I could...... extra fun!!  I'm gonna be upwind anyway, right?  I do not mean to hijack, disregard if inappropriate.  Thanks
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
Now really, pipe smokers relaxed and reliable?  I have had one time that someone picked on me for my pipe smoking, a young punk with a paint ball gun, by a local fishing sand pit.  He first mocked me and then in jest shot at me with his paint ball gun and hit a five year old boy that was fishing with his dad. He did not see my sling shot, but his declaration of being a minor was of no use to him. I proved to him three times that I did not care how old he was.  Paint ball hits are painful,especially to a little boy, but sling shot hits puts a mouthy punk on the ground, funny thing was he had three buddies that knew better than to help him, even after I stomped his paint ball gun to pieces.  
I have a number of expensive pipes, I smoke high grade very good pipe tobacco, I do not inhale and I am thoughtful, relaxed and reliable (with a sling shot).

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Gave up the pipe when  became a dad - found I couldn't handle a daughter, a diaper, and maintain a pipe at the same time. I never tried to smoke while shooting!

Best quote I remember from a college professor "A pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to do with his hands."
Jim

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
I agree that we should avoid the 'flavored' blends (like Cherry Blend) because they burn hot. But if your pipe burns your mouth it probably needs to be cleaned -- good pipe cleaners and either something you get at a pipe shop (an alcohol mixture) or you can make your own with whiskey, Irish whiskey, Scotch, etc. But get the gunk out of the stem and the shank. It will taste better for that. A clean pipe is a happy smoker. (Except for a 13 year hiatus, I've been doing this since 1962). I'm no longer allowed to smoke in the house.

Richard

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©