3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The old faithfull go to bow.  (Read 497 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
The old faithfull go to bow.
« on: September 20, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
I shoot Habu bows exclusively.  Right now I only own five bows.  Two of them are Habus.  Two are old bear recurves and one is a light weight longbow not heavy enough to hunt with.  I use this bow for when children come to my house and want to shoot bows.  
    I have a brand new Habu Vyperkhan that is just over a year old now.  Its an excellent bow for me.  As good as it gets.  I have only killed one animal with it so far and that was a turkey this spring.  Been shooting it non-stop.  But I also have an older Habu recurve.  Ebony with Bacote limbs.  I shot my biggest buck with this bow along with two caribou and a number of African game animals.  When my buddy had enough of compound arrow shooters I lent him this bow for a season and he too killed his best buck with it. Dusted it off recently and it felt like an old friend in my hands.  This is a bow that I will never sell.  I have been offered twice what I payed for it.  I'll never do it because of the memories I made with it.  This bow that Chris Cox made for me will be given to one of my nephews when or if they decide to become a bowhunter.  
   Think I'll be using both of my Habus this season.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The old faithfull go to bow.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Both of my Blacktail TDs are my "old faithfuls". These are the only two trad bows I own.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:40:00 AM »
Martin Savannah
If I do my part its a tack driver
Slickhead

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
Funny thing I have two plain jane Bob Lees that I always grab and a beautiful Bob Lee that stays on the rack lately.It is a little heavy wgt.not pull wgt. and just feels less comfortable in my hands.K-Mags also fit my smaller hands perfect.Kip

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
I sort of envy you guys you have a 1 only favorite,or loyalty. I can't get enough of them in my hands. I am to a point though,I have bought/sold/traded enough bows that I have tried or currently own just about any that tickled my fancy. That Baraga in my signature line,is the one I paid the least for,but I find myself picking it up more,and more. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline bow_man_66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
For years I shot an old Martin take-down, had the old ball bearing swivel limbs. Monsterous riser on it that I actually took a rasp and file to to help fit me. Was not fast or pretty or quiet but man could I shoot it. In all the years I hunted with that bow I never missed or lost a deer with it.
May your arrow always fly true and your hunt be an adventure.

Shoot Straight,

Bow_man66

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
jon, got them Eastons good and straight yet, haha ? Wishing you luck in the great deer huntin state of ILL this year, we hope to come back one day soon if and when the economy ever turns ?

Mason and I have to hunt with our circa 1960's Bear recurves at least once a season so "Fred" can live to hunt again. Know what you mean by a older bow like that, "feeling like an old friend ". I need to make us up a dozen woodies that are retro Bear looking arrows to put on those bows and get some Bear greenies on the pointy ends too so we are period correct. Seen a set on here that were stained to match the Coco woods, then crested with green and white to match the glass and white line accents.   :campfire:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
I just committed to spending some serious money on a bow, so I'm going to have to sell 3 or 4 of my others to pay for it. The one I won't sell is my first bow after I started archery again in my late 60's. It's the one I grab when it's time to head for the woods.

A local maker, Kevin Cramer. He didn't even put his name on the bow or any of the bow specs. 60", 50@28, and it's a bit heavy for me now while I've been concentrating on my knee rehab and not shooting as much, but I WILL work back up to it. It's my deer slayer.

60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Jon I wish you the best of luck this year and many more to follow.  Great choice in bows.

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
Many bows have come and gone, but My Habu and my Hoyt Gamemaster 2 just shoot better in my hand than all the rest I have owned to date (including silvertip, assenheimer, RER, rose oak, marriah, and on and on).. I do have to say though, that my new Palmer may become the new "old faithful" as I am shooting it even better than my Habu
BCD

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
My first Silvertip has been my go to. I've taken several critters with it including the best shot I ever made:

This year though I'm leaving it home in favor of a Big Jim Buffalo and Bear T/D.

Offline jrbb00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
For some reason I keep picking up my old Ben Pearson Cougar.  Have a nice Ed Mikuta take down but just like the one piece old bow better. I just have a thing for the older bows.

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
My old Morrison Shawnee Longbow with the Dakota style limbs is by far the best shooting bow I have ever owned.  This bow flat out shoots.  Yet, for some reaon, I am always  buying a "new" (used) bow!!   I have an addiction I think.. LOL.  When it's crunch time, I always break out the Morrison and stck arrows on top of each other.   One day I will stop buying and selling bows and just stik with my Ole' Morrison!  ~~~> Steve

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
My Hill bows. First is my Wesley Special at 65#, followed by a Cheetah at 55#. I'm shooting the Cheetah now mostly because a sore shoulder hasn't completely healed up, making it easier to shoot.
Sam

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
jrbb00, I have a pearson cougar too. that was the bow I hunted with my first trad season. I still shoot it sometimes, Its a good shooter and Ill probably never sell it.
Id have to say my favorite is my hill country longbow though.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »
Has to be one of my Shrews, although a Brackenbury or a Morrison would be wonderful too.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
For the past 8 seasons it's been my DAS riser and Winex limbs....58" bow that draws 60#. I've tried other limbs (even Border HEX 5's and 6's) but the Winex seems to group better than anything I have put on that riser. I have a spare set of limbs and just got a Dalaa riser to keep handy in the house (my DAS is usually in the car or truck ready to travel) because turkeys always show up in the yard when I least expect it. Besides, I need a back up bow, just in case, that shoots the same.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
I love longbows....but I always seem to grab my Holm-Made River Runner.....I just like that 60" recurve.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
Ron: Now all you need is a deer to  shoot at!
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I could not agree with you more Mr. Carlsen   :dunno:   I will give it my all again this year......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©