3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: May be my last elk hunt grrr! FUN rest of the story!W/PIX  (Read 583 times)

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
May be my last elk hunt grrr! FUN rest of the story!W/PIX
« on: September 20, 2012, 03:08:00 AM »
Well I got my lumbar MRI results back. Spinal Stenosis. Severe degenerative disc disease (no discs left to speak of). Sever muscle atrophy in the lumbar area. I been a hurtin for a LONG time but always been able to walk and climb until the last couple of years. Kinda threw a wrench in my spokes when they told me how bad it was. I didn't tell them I was taking my Ibuprofen and going hunting anyways(with the wife's blessings as she knows how much hunting with my stick means to me). MY wife will go along and be camp tender (not to mention she is the love of my life and I enjoy her company). She will help me if I get something and I have friends who will be nearby to help me also. I have a game cart so I should do alright if by a miracle I call in something and get that golden shot away. The country is not real steep and no blow down. I had a bull last year JUST out of range. Man that would have been one of my easiest kills and recovers ever. I may have to just sit waterholes in the future. If so I will dearly miss the walk in the woods with the sights, sounds and smells all different around every boulder, behind every tree and across every stream. The woods in the fall are what keeps me going. I do so hope I get to call in a bull and play the old cat and mouse game one more time.    :       :cool:
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: May be my last elk hunt grrr! FUN rest of the story!W/PIX
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 03:45:00 AM »
I have mixed emotions for ya. Sad that the joys of traipsing through the woods may become come to halt but delighted to know that you have the definitive soul mate by your side to be your saving grace when needed. Best wishes to you on whatever path the Lord decides to put you on.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 05:14:00 AM »
At least you will still be hunting and have the support of a loving wife to help you along your journey.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »
As said above and you'll adapt to your new reality, because you're a Hunter.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
My L5 is completely gone, L4 is on the way out, stenosis etc. I have been hunting in pain for 5 yrs. Oct 4th I go for Endoscopic laser surgery. It is same day surgery, you walk out that day. No rods or any of that, just a 3/4 inch cut. Dr says I'll see plenty more hunting ahead. Check out laser spine institute.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
Keep at 'em as long as your body will let you. If you can't hike the mountains like in years past, sitting waterholes might be a good alternative. You can still enjoy the outdoors; just a bit more slowly. Hang tough.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
You are not alone. Get a personal trainer and you will be surprised at how much strength and flexibility you can retain or regain. I'm there with you but two days ago I hauled in a Screaming Eagle, climbing sticks, pole saw, back pack, etc. to set up for a monster buck I saw three night ago. It was about a mile in and out and the climbing, limbing, etc. took a toll on me next day but it was mostly muscle soreness. The more you cut back on physical activity the worse it gets. If you rest you rust.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Yota4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »
Sorry to hear the bad news. I'm sure you are tougher, stronger and more determined than they know. We all only have so many days that we can hunt.

Take care and I know you will enjoy each hunt like it's your last. That is how we all need to hunt also isn't it?  God bless and keep you strong my friend, You're a lucky man to have such a wonderful soul mate.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
I also suggest that you find a good surgeon and at least have the conversation.

I also suffer from spinal stenosis but it is way less after surgery.

My surgeon told me what I could expect as the result of surgery and I am here to say that the very second my feet touched the floor I knew he was correct. He did exactly what he said he'd do and the result was exactly what he said it would be.

I thank him and God for a life that is relatively pain free these days.

I'm back to walking about 5k every morning in an attempt to get rid of my "blubber buddy".

I think you exhibit that you have great spirit and are brave at heart...keep on! keeping on!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
that totally sucks, but sitting waterholes in the elk woods is still special..  good luck man!
is it September yet??

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
You know how far and how much you can push your body. You may state its only a lot of pain nothing to worry about. Just make sure your pain does not cause you further injury so remember you know you have to pace yourself. The statement use it or lose it has a lot to it. A little while back some one posted about a book called "Pain Free" A revolutionary method for stopping chronic pain by Pete Egoscue with Roger Gittines for $17.00 its worth a look for a few exercises even if it helps some what to keep you moving. Has helped me somewhat. As stated above you are not alone in your experience and the best to your journey.
...Mark

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
Headed out tomorrow. I will be taking extra pictures this time no matter if the critters stand in front of me or the elk have all loaded on a space shuttle and flew off to planet ZENO! I now ish I had taken more pictures over the years. I still sit at times and look them over with a bit of a smile. I wonder how much my mind embelishes the hunt as the years pass?   :)
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 12:32:00 AM »
Good luck.  I don't know what to say other than sometimes life throws us a curve.  I have been cancer free for almost two years now.  I sure didn't plan on that and I can definately relate to the helpless feeling of uncertainty about what your hunting future holds.  But, I can also relate that as our situations change, we adapt to them and it is up to us to find our joy in the Blessings the Lord provides.

Know that having a great wife is priceless.  I just can't put into words the appreciation I have for mine after taking such great care of me durning the 20 chemo treatments and the 6 months that followed.  I am simply humbled by her devotion and caring nature cause for the ten months I was sick as a dog, it was no walk in the park for her I can assure you.

Keep the faith bro.  There are new unexpected blessings coming your way.  Just stay close to the Lord and trust his will to assure you don't miss them.  Good luck and enjoy everyday.  Keep the faith no matter your struggles, and stay the course.  God Bless and I will pray for you.
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 02:58:00 AM »
you aint alone Bro my whole spine is stuffed from the tail bone to the top of my neck and they want me to have an opp i don't think so as long as i am walking i will keep walking
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Back in 2001 I'd tried to tough it out,couldn't walk, sit or lay comfortly and landed in the ER. I had a MRI and had spinal stenosis, L4 & L5, and a couple of bulgeing discs which left my leg numb and weak. I had to us a cane and spent weeks at PT and still was in severe pain. It was suggested to go to a pain management center and recieve a series of injections into the spine. After several months I was able to walk normally, hike and backpack. Since then I have made several Elk bowhunts to Colorado and backpack in. You must continue to exercize and keep a strong core or your done. Well worth looking into. Good luck.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
I am really bummed to hear of your woes. My mother suffered for years with it. Have you checked out the Laser Spine Institute? Might be worth a look. Good luck all the way around.

Tim
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
Well I had a most wonderful hunt this fall, no kills but the best I have had in years! It lasted only 4 days before I had to come and sleep in a real bed but well worth the struggles!!
 Got there late and set up the wall tent in the dark(headlights). My wife and I gathered firewood the next day and I went out that night. Parked the Jeep and walked 50 yds through the sage towards the timber. It was a slight up hill and as I got that little elevation I see movement in the open. Used my Toelke Whip as my walking stick and bent down to hide. It was a cow and calf trotting towards the timber from the other side of the park.......        

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
So I use my cow call and talk to her. I tell her she has friends over here and to come on over. They both stop and look with interest but quickly look over their shoulders. HOLY MOLY it is a 6x6 and storming down on them and heis walking faster than normal making a beeline towards them. I am sure he is ready to offer drinks and dinner to her if she will only "stay awhile". Meanwhile I get the diaphragm call working and let out some sweet nothings in different voices and a small bull squeal. THIS gets his attention on some perceived notion that another honey is interested and needs a rescue raid from this "bad man" who has her trapped.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
got my attention!!!!
is it September yet??

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 06:14:00 PM »
The cow and calf lose interest in my invite and quickly head into the the timber. As he looses sight of them he looks my way. Now he is coming from my left to the right and the air current is going the same way. Well elk aren't stupid so HE heads into the trees as well still showing interest in the group of lil darlings that call his name. As he disappears I struggle to stand up and quickly get into the same stretch of trees maybe 100 yds to my right. I cautiously walk towards them not knowing if the cow is headed my way or not. I realize I am walking too slow as I see legs around 150yds ahead with my binoculars. It stops so I head closer as quickly as my stumbling legs will let me and not sound like an armored division on the roll. I lose sight of him and know he is headed my way and making good time for a cautious mature bull. I move ahead and set up to have a look see with my glasses when he appears in the lenses. 75 YARDS AWAY! OK Mr. Tinney think fast! To my left is several old and gray downed trees and stumps...hmm is this enough cover in this open timber? Well STUPID you don't have much choice now do you, dumazz? I jump into the middle of it and drop my fanny pack, nock and arrow tipped with a Simmons Landshark, give a little love whisper and wait for his reaction. He heads right to me and walks to my right all the while with his nose in the air. He gets 12-13 yards to my right and STOPS! He is broadside BUT is behind some rather large trees and I can not get any decent shot at his vitals. He lowers his head and looks right at me and I KNOW he smells me..........

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©