3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what type of snake  (Read 535 times)

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
what type of snake
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
Hey guys Im not an expert on snakes. But Saturday my wife and I were cleaning up the yard of a place we are buying and I looked down on the sidewalk was a (what looked like a baby) snake.
It had the pattern similar to a copperhead but was brown/tan. (I live in south east Ohio)
It was strange, when I was close to it its neck flatten and it rose its head "like a cobra does"
Well I killed it. I examined its eyes and they were round and black.
what kind of snake do you think this is?
sorry no pics
Slickhead

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what type of snake
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
It sounds like a Milk snake.  many snakes will flatten thier heads when they feel threatend
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 08:10:00 AM »
The color don't make sense, but they do change with local areas.  I would say for the reaction of the snake it should be a spreading adder.  We have those in AR.  Not harmful, but cool.  I caught one the other day and showed my kiddos.  They are usually short and stout built, dark colored with a dim pattern, around here anyway.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
hognose snake. They will also play dead.

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Slickhead:
Hey guys Im not an expert on snakes. But Saturday my wife and I were cleaning up the yard of a place we are buying and I looked down on the sidewalk was a (what looked like a baby) snake.
It had the pattern similar to a copperhead but was brown/tan. (I live in south east Ohio)
It was strange, when I was close to it its neck flatten and it rose its head "like a cobra does"
Well I killed it. I examined its eyes and they were round and black.
what kind of snake do you think this is?
sorry no pics
You just described about half the snakes in america, especially if it was a "baby."    :biglaugh:

As suggested, it could have been a milk snake or hognose snake (spreading adder). Also could have been a northern water snake, a banded water snake, a juvenile black racer, one of the various subspecies of rat snakes, a Dekay's snake, or a host of others.

No pics?
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
looks like it was probably a milksnake
Thanks
Slickhead

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
So, why did you kill it?

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
sounds like a hognose snake

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
1 vote for hognose...not sure though.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Landman

I dont like snakes

You can argue the benifits all day, but to me the only good snake is the one backing a bow.

Sorry if that offends those who like them.
Slickhead

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
Hognose Snake

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
As stated,definitely a hognose snake.They vary in color and babies may vary slightly from the adult color.They are the only snake in North America that flattens out it's head and neck like that.As fierce as they look,displaying like that,they are extremely harmless.They will also play "possum" if the spreading doesn't work.Their diet consists,at least as adults,almost completely of toads.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Hognose, we used to find them all the time in West Michigan as kids and tell girls we caught a "cobra", good times...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by JimB:
They are the only snake in North America that flattens out it's head and neck like that.
Not entirely true. Many snakes will flatten out their heads. Hognosed snakes take to to an extreme that others don't though.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by KOOK68:
hognose snake. They will also play dead.
Apparently this one wasn't "playing"  :biglaugh:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
I also think it was a hognose--those are protected in some states.  Totally harmless--unless you are a toad.  

I don't know of any other snake that will put on the show they do--spread the head and neck like a cobra (hence the name "spreading adder" or "spreadenadder" around here--said as one word).  They will hiss, even strike--but the strike is ALWAYS away from an object.  Say you put your hand to the left of it's head, it will strike to the right, and vice-versa--they will NOT bite you (unless you smell like a toad).

If this display doesn't work, then it's on to Act II.  It will convulse, roll...act like it's been poisoned, and wind up on it's back "dead", complete with it's tongue hanging out. Funny thing is if you roll it on it's belly, it will roll over on it's back and continue to play dead until it thinks the threat has passed.

One of God's great creations--lots of fun to watch, rare around here--I've only seen one is the last several years.

Snakes are like guns--some people are terrified of them because they are uneducated about them.  The answer isn't to get rid of the guns, or snakes.  The answer is to educate yourself on them, and eliminate the fear.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
Yep, hognose. I always enjoyed watching their antics many years ago when I lived in Texas. Wish we had them in Wyoming. A very cool snake.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Lots of eastern hognose snakes here where we live. Just stopped and moved a big one, pushing 40"s, out the road a couple days ago. Was laying there soaking up some heat. They are pretty cool snakes.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
"Snakes are like guns--some people are terrified of them because they are uneducated about them. The answer isn't to get rid of the guns, or snakes. The answer is to educate yourself on them, and eliminate the fear."

Chad, I love you.    :D  
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©