3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strange or Unexplained  (Read 12412 times)

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
Strange or Unexplained
« on: August 10, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
The thread on dangerous hunts is great.  It got me to thinking about strange things that have happened to me while hunting.  The first thing that comes to mind is this one:

I was perched in an enormous oak tree one October morning.  It was very foggy and was taking what seemed like forever to get daylight.  I usually take a paperback book with me when I hunt, so I decided to take it out and try to read.  When I got it out, there wasn't quite enough light to be able to read, so I started looking at the pictures in the middle of the book.

After about a minute, I glance up and a small buck appears like a dream out of the fog and is headed toward me.  I stand up and prepare to shoot.  He makes his way down a firebreak and will pass within 10 yards.  I draw my bow and lightly whistle to stop him.  The white feathers spin perfectly and I see it strike him on the money.  He makes a short run and I hear him fall.  

When I climb down from the tree, I walk over to where he was standing and find good blood and half of my arrow with the broadhead lying on the ground.  I make my way down the blood trail at a steady walk as the wide head has really opened him up.  About twenty yards into the trail, I find the other half of my arrow, the nock end, lying in the trail.  I pick it up and continue down the trail.  I find my buck after another twenty yards of trailing.  He is beautiful.  I inspect the entrance wound and then roll him over to look at the exit. THERE IS NO EXIT WOUND!!!   :eek:  

I took the buck home and skinned him out and there was absolutely no hole in him anywhere but where the arrow went in.  I have rolled this over and over in my mind for years and I just can't explain what happened.

Any of you guys ever have anything strange happen while hunting that you just can't explain?
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strange or Unexplained
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
Years back I shot a doe and watched it run off about 30 yards and reach around with her mouth and pull out the arrow , she walked out of sight but only went about another 20 yards and bedded down for good . I had shot her quartering to me as 35 years ago that was thought to be a good shot . Fred
Greyfox54

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
Could he have pulled the arrow out with his teeth and dropped the nock end down the trail?

or the arrow broke when he spun to run and the front half got hung up somehow? Saw your reply on the goals thread. Any hogs down that way?   :)
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline ogopogoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
I had a very strange thing happen in Valleyview Alberta on a Canoe/Hunting trip down the little Smokey river. Maybe i shouldn't tell this one quite yet. I haven't been here long enough to build credibility....Ok..I'll wait awhile.
I learned to swim ashore from stones, I learned to live alone in droves...Allergic to Myself....
my upcoming album..

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Oh come on ogopogoman, we love bigfoot stories..  :bigsmyl:
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
John, I can't figure it out.  He didn't spin around when he ran, just continued on the way he was headed.  And he busted out of there on impact and didn't have time to pull it out with his teeth.  I thought it might be possible that he ripped it out with his hind leg by kicking at it, broke it after it came completely out, and then somehow managed to carry the nock end with him for the twenty yards running full tilt, but that seems far fetched.  The point end of the arrow was lying in the middle of the firebreak exactly where he was standing when hit.
Yeah, we've got hogs around here, but it looks like I'm going to be hunting public land for a while.  Just lost my hunting lease this year and don't know when I'll find another one.  The paper companies in Georgia have been selling land like it's going out of style.

Alright ogopogoman, it's been long enough, don't leave us hangin' like that.  That's just wrong.   :)
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
Yeah ogopogoman! please I want to hear it!!!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
40 yrs, ago in Calif, I shot a big Jack Rabbit through the shoulders, and before I even started to walk towerd him, two more Jack's came in and started beating the hell out of him. Rabbits can scratch like a wild cat, and when I got to my Jack he was red and bloody on his head where they scratched him. I was to amused to think about shooting the other Jacks before they ran off. A Fish and Game officer told me weeks later, that sometimes animals turn on their own when wounded. Ever heard of something like that?  Biff
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
I believe bison will turn on a wounded/dead animal.

Offline ogopogoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Alright, but don't say I didn't warn ya!
It's a tad bit long winded...should i still post it???
I learned to swim ashore from stones, I learned to live alone in droves...Allergic to Myself....
my upcoming album..

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
Heck Yeah!!!

Just don't pull a Charlie Lamb and drag it out for three days.   :biglaugh:
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
yes!!!!, post it
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
We're Waiting....!

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
gut shoot a coyote when others are with it and watch the fun
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline KILLER B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
White tailed deer will gore and attack wounded deer especialy during during the rut.  
And come on with the sasquach story already!!!
Sticks and stones break deer bones.
One final word -Ramalamashamjam-

Offline ogopogoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
okay...it was the weekend that the Elk hunt was goin to open up. So we had our deer tags and the elk were opening up on the Monday.
 The river was REALLY low and it sucked because my Father in law packs the kitchen sink when he goes in the bush..lol..
 There was my Pa-in-law, bro-in law, -sis-in law and myself.
 The first night was spent very wet as we all tipped on the shoal at around 11:45 at night..lol.
 The next day we head down river about 20 K and fish for Walleye and eat. Then take in a scout around for any sign.
 We move on down another 10 K and look for Elk sign. it's around 4:30 pm so we look around. Holy Hannah the Elk sign was EVERYWHERE!!!!
 So we make our plan to trek in the bush and meet back at shore for 7:00.
 I go east straight in the bush on a fresh Elk trail, and watch so it's not circling and they're  not watching me!
  I follow for about 3 k maybe alittle less and i hear a CRASH and a foul smell. I'm used to rutting Elk and this wasn't it.
 I stand dead still as to wait it out,  and see whats there...a deer? a satelite Bull Elk???
 Then i notice a few small movements. i can barely make out 5 of them.
 " Oh man i've spotted along the herd!!!" I thought
 My eyes are peeled on the very first movement/Crash that allerted me. My heart is beating very fast and i can feel it thumping in my throat.
 I'm feeling a bit uneasy and I know I'm being watched. i can see from where I'm being watched, but not exactly WHAT is watching me.
 This goes on for around 15 minutes. I turn to look at my mperipheral and as soon as I do CRASH!!!!! The whole darn bush explodes.
I whip my head around and see a scattering of bodies..running... Now I'm freaked!! what the heck am i looking at???? I turn and run for about 50 yards and I stop. i can still here them crashing away from me.
 What the heck just happened??? I stand still for a few minutes and wander back ever so slowly to where I just ran from. i go to around where i thought "they" were crouching and i found "beds" for a lack of a better term. Kinda like a dug out deer bed but deeper.anmd the stink was obscene!!!  There were 4 of them situated closely.
 Now I'm completly freaked out and I know what I saw, but don't  KNOW what i saw ya know.???
 I go back to camp and i say absolutly nothing. i see my bro-in law and he's looking rather disturbed at me.
 We get our supper and pitch camp up and go to sleep on the river bank. a beautiful starry Sept night with NO cloud cover.
 I'm having trouble sleeping..of course. And I'm half way there and I 'm joltedm upright by this horrific YOWL. not a yell..not a screem not a howl. This is something I've NEVER heard before. The cry is ringing in the air and everything in the night shuts up. No bugs no coyotes no nothing but this thing Yowling.
 Now everyones awake and freaking out. Then the rocks and sticks start flying at our camp. Big rocks, not little 2 pounders..BIG ROCKS!
That's it the guns are comin out! but no-one is moving. these things are whooping up a storm. The sounds are a very long yowl.
 and suddenly it stops.
 After about an hour I gotta do what a guys gotta do. So I muster up the courage to step outta the tent and there were stones and large branches everyewhere around our camp on the river bank.
 Now later the next day as we are packing up, my bro-in law tells me he had a very weird experience in the bush and thought that he was being watched by something and that he thought he saw something "strange" He couldn't quite figure it out but it smelled terrible and he found a "bed" of sorts that he'd never seen the likes of before.
 Just like I had the same day at the same time. After talking to him more the day after with a bottle of Scotch,I found out he was only 65 yards to my North East, according to his GPS.
 My father -in law to this day denies it happend. Although he has never been hunting in the bush since.
 Not a fairy tale. Any question feel free to ask. i'm not shy. Now this is pretty condensed,so i've left out several point here for length.
 I've only ever told 2 people before this...and have NEVER posted this EVER!!!! my gift to you.
Chris....Ogopogoman
my upcoming album..

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
I've often wondered what I would do if I happened upon something like that while making my way to or from my stand in the dark.    :scared:

Gives me chills man!
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline VinnieB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
wow that would have scared the crap out of me. i am not a big fan of guns but i'd have to say they are definetly made for times like that.

what exactly do you think it was a bigfoot type thing. all i can say is wow idk what i would doo in a situation like that.
Martin rebel recurve 45#@25"
Fred Bear Montana Longbow 50#@26"

"Hunting is the last perfect thing"
-Ted Nugent

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
After an experience like that I think the obscene stench would have been coming from my pants, but I wish I'd have been there to see it.

Dennis

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 11:02:00 PM »
I'm in 100% agreement with Aeronut !!!
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©