3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strange or Unexplained  (Read 12429 times)

Offline cedar swampman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strange or Unexplained
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
Last summer my son and I stepped out on our deck with no lights on only natural starlight and about 25-30yds away is two green reflecting eyes about 18-24" off the ground.Well in a flash it was gone without a sound. We went inside to get the .22 and a flashlight- we found no tracks or sign.A couple of days later I saw the same green eyes from my bedroom window peering up at me from down in the swamp.My guess is that it was an owl but the glowing green eyes when there is no light present is a freaky thing!

Offline BlackpowderJim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
2 years ago I saw a cougar come out of a corn field, cross a 30 yard opening and go into the woods. In central Illinois.
It was only about 60 yards between us and I got a real good look. No doubt about it. It was a cougar.

Not as weird as a pack of bigfoots (bigfeet?), but nobody much believes me...

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
cedar, I believe I would have grabbed something bigger than that .22    :eek:  

Back in the mid 80's, there were a pair of panthers hanging around my Uncle's farm.  He got a quick glimpse of them a couple of times and saw sign of where they took down a deer in a field.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »
I just have to tell this now, i've been waiting for a good opertunity and this is it.

A friend of mine lived in Montana for over 12yrs and worked as a big game guide.He also did some law enforcement work before he came back home, about 4yrs i think.

I asked him one night here at the house about any wierd calls out there, he just looked at me for a min to decide if he should tell me. Now,i've known him for a long time, since we were kids, and we've hunted together on numerious occations, and if he tells me something you can usually bet its 99% a fact.

He looked around and back at me "yeah i had a wierd one afew years ago, I got a call out in the sticks about a prowler, when i got there the farmer said thier were some BIG tracks out behind the barn, now i thought he was talkin about somebody snoopin, so i walked out there with my flashlight and my 45. walked around the corner and your not goina believe this but i saw some monsterious tracks". So i asked him what he did." I went back to my car and got my M-16." I asked him how far they went and he said "They went farther than i planed to go"."Now i've guided for more than 10yrs and i NEVER saw anything like that before".

After i stopped rolling in the floor he told me he wished now that he hadn't told me.

"Hey man, my nearest back up was 1 hour away and i didn't care if i seen it or not".

He was dead serious! I believe he saw what he saw.And yes he said "MAN DID IT STINK IN THOSE WOODS". He has never mentioned that again.

I'm glad you told us that, ogo. Thanks man that took some curage...  :scared:    :thumbsup:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
HA! I knew it was a bigfoot story!! I love creepy woods stories...  :campfire:
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
I didn't figure ogo would be the only one with a story like that.  As much time as we all spend in the woods, I wouldn't be surprised if there are several TG members who have had a similar experience.  Just have to get 'em to open up.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »
Lets not. I get twitchy just reading about this stuff.  And you can't tell me to not read it. I HAVE to read a good bigfoot story.

A guy my size shouldn't be afraid of the dark.

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2007, 12:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by The Vanilla Gorilla:

A guy my size shouldn't be afraid of the dark.
:biglaugh:

At least I don't have to walk to my stand in the morning.  Season is still 4 weeks away.  Maybe this thread will be gone by then.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline New to Traditional

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2007, 01:48:00 AM »
After long and deliberate consideration I believe I have solved the identity of these "creatures".

I thought to my self;whats hairy,travels in herds,sleeps in beds made of grass,and yes has a strong and "funny" stench to it.

Yes,I do believe that you discovered a herd of free-range..................HIPPIES!!!

The attack on your camp was simply a protest of your hunting them being animal activist and all.Coupled with the bright and shiny lights coming from your camp this brought on the weird noises.There you have it I can breathe a sigh of relief and go to sleep now knowing I have qualmed your fears.

I'm sorry I'm extremely tired and take no responsibility for this post(DISCLAIMER).

In all seriousness great read Opogooman.   :clapper:  

Night all,
Ethan
Dont shoot feather light arras,shoot railroad ties.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2007, 01:54:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2007, 01:55:00 AM »
greyfox thats awsome!!!

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2007, 03:16:00 AM »
I love creepy woods stories too...until I'm sitting in my stand in the pre-morning darkness and every little noise brings those creepy woods stories flowing back into my head. Then I can't wait for daylight.

I set up on the ground once waiting for it to get dark. As I set up I heard a Barred owl hooting nearby, didn't think much of it just that it was cool to listen too.

I sat down against a tree, perfectly still waiting for dawn to arrive. I was dressed in full camo with a headnet. I was scanning my eyes back and forth for about 5 or 10 minutes listening to the forest noises when all of a sudden I catch movement right in front of my face. I throw my hand up and realize that owl had swooped down on me and turned away at the last second!

I can only imagine he was watching my eyes go back and forth and must have mistaken them for a little critter or something.

I don't know who was more alarmed, me or him. And I can only imagine the damage if he had caught me in the eyes and trying to explain that to the doctor.

Now back to creepy woods stories...

Offline Artur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2007, 03:34:00 AM »
Landshark160/Chris;

Where did you hit the deer, which direction was it facing relative to you (facing away, quartering away, etc) and at what angle did the arrow hit (from above, horizontal, etc)? I ask because it **might** be possible the broadhead half of that arrow exited through the deer's mouth...or even the hinder end.
Artur - Archer/Fletcher; To Live Is To Learn, To Learn Is to Live

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2007, 07:17:00 AM »
ogo...sounds like bigfoot to me. I don't have a clue if it exist or not but I've heard an awful lot of convincing evidence towards it. Heck they didn't know gorillas exsisted until 1908. Either way I think it would be really cool if they found one some day.

I'm suprised we haven't heard more stories like that yet either. A lot of guys here spend a lot of time in the woods
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
ogo,
    i would love to have been there!!! and people wonder why i carry a big bowie and longknife!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
I saw the mythical black panther once about 35 yeas ago. It was sitting in the middle of a logging road on Skyline Mgt Area in N/E Alabama. Drove my jeep to within about 30ft of it, watched it for a minute or so until it drifted into the bushes. It appeared black until it eased through patchy sunlight at which point I could see it was a very dark auburn color. It was about 6 feet long, tail and all.

Offline ogopogoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
They were definatly bigfoots. These things that took off in the bush were pure MASS. and i could see the one i was looking at, looking at me crouched behind heavy bush, but i just couldn't believe what was going on.My sight was hindered by the bush. Until I turned my head, and they all took off...running. i've seen bears stand up but not take off. Most were very big..I mean BIG,except one was around my height, but  150 pounds or so on me. I'm 235 pounds.
 But i love the Hippie theory..LMAO!!!!!
I learned to swim ashore from stones, I learned to live alone in droves...Allergic to Myself....
my upcoming album..

Offline OzarkRamblr

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
Hey Eric,
When I was living outside Springfield Mo. they ran a news story on black panther sightings. Seems some residents outside Branson had been reporting seeing a black panther on and off for a few months. Of course nobody wanted to believe them....until some one got film of not one but two black panthers walking along a tree line behind the chain link fence behind their yard.

I saw the home footage on the evening news. I was convinced, one was a larger cat and then one was smaller but still the same size as a mountain lion. One of the local entertainers who uses big cats in his show, Kirby Van Birch (if I remember correctly) came out to look for tracks and to possibly look for sites to trap the cats. They were never seen again, or at least the reports stopped. They believe that one was a mature adult and perhaps the smaller one was a juvenile & they were just passing thru.
"A friend of mine said that I'm lucky, I told him luck has nothing to do with the life I chose, we choose the life we have and don't have, so choose wisely"...Kingwouldbe

Words to live by.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
Artur,
He was heading to my left, but he was broadside or maybe quartering away very slightly.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline S. Brant Osborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
In my part of Louisiana, Desoto Parish, MANY people claim to have seen big cats.  Most every member of my family including my father and grandmother whom I trust have a cat story to tell.  They are refered to as panthers and almost everyone says that they are black.  I am a have to see it to believe it kinda guy.  The part that bothers me is the black coloring.  Also there are alot of cows and goats arround here and nobody ever loses any.
"I'm the proud son of a Vietnam Vet and proud to be Made in America!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©