3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strange or Unexplained  (Read 12426 times)

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strange or Unexplained
« Reply #280 on: September 20, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
Cavscout the aussie bush is a awsome place at night just not in yowie country there is lots of tails of things that go bump in the night.

My second encouter started With freinds sister taking the dog for a walk and coming back as white as a ghost saying she had seen a puma (no big cats in Australia) we thought she was full of it untill a week later there was a article in the local paper about a big cat sighting about 5km down the rd then me and my mate Tim wear driving to his mums house to pick up the mower When I spoted a large black Cat creeping along the tree line in a padock now Iv seen and shot some big cats before and this thing made them look like kittens.
This was the first time in a long time that we didnt have a rifle in the car and as soon as we stoped it put its head down and was out of there and I havent seen nor herd of it since
Jim
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: September 20, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Let's hear more yowi stories. Had to go look that up

Offline chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: September 20, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
The last time I talked to C.L. Greenwood he told me a story that I would carry with me.  That was fifteen years ago, but I remember every utterance sitting in his den, listening, by the light of a small lamp inadequate for the space we were in.  Just as the lantern he had all those years ago in the woods of a moonless night was not nearly enough.  Sixty years had done little, if anything, to diminish the kind of fear that will make blood run cold as gasoline.  

It wasn’t a big lantern, but the woods familiar.  He could walk them with curious ease the way a blind man evades stationary objects in his own apartment.  The trees were more than trees.  Grandfatherly figures, memories, sentinels.  Moss draped from their limbs like witches hair.  Ancient Live Oaks, witness to centuries of people now gone, the noble and the fools, yet the trees remain .  There was the tree where he had shot a young spike;  the tree he would climb with his first crush, and of course, the tree where a few nights ago his dogs nearly outwitted the smartest coon in Aransas County.  This was a coon smarter than two thirds of the City Council, so they were here again, undeterred, and perhaps they’d win this round.  

He was still young, not quite a man yet, but confident.  The kind of confidence one has that’s not yet left home.  His dogs no different.  The lantern rendered the young hounds a color seldom found outside an artery. He leaned his gun against the trunk of an oak that four more his size couldn’t stretch around and let the dogs go.  They vanished into the ether.

He sat down at the base of that tree and looked up at the low canopy that ventured far in to the dark; far beyond the lanterns glow, like the tentacles of a giant squid dispersed in every direction, a map of millennia, as if the fire of the lantern, and the hunter, were the center of the universe, and beyond that tiny light was nothing.

It was then that he felt the quiet.  It had fallen on him there, alone, like a sheet over the recently deceased, and it was heavy.  Not a locust, not an owl, nor a dog for that matter.  It was the kind of dark that devoured the light, and the kind of silence you could touch.

As quickly as his dogs ran into the night they rejoined him now shivering.  The male was urinating uncontrollably.  The visceral terror in his dog’s eyes turned him a greenish white usually reserved for a stinking cheese. They tried to hide behind him against the tree and they peered back into the ink from which they had come, but you could not see.  It was quiet no more as his heart pounded like timpani, and his dogs whimpered like pups.  He stood with lantern in one hand and his rifle in the other and pointed it in the direction they had come but this was of no use as the blanket of the night snuffed out his lantern like a candle between wet finger tips.  Nothing was to be seen.  Something was there.  It was watching him.  Whatever was out there deserved to be feared, and it stood between the young man, his dogs, and home.  

Home is where he went, one cautious step before another, each dog vying to be the one between his legs.  He’d leave a considerable amount of young confidence behind in that thicket because he had respect for what was there, even if he’d never know what it was.
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: September 20, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
I was walking into the timber on a perfect late October Missouri morning.  It was probably about 45 minutes before sun rise and still very dark in the woods.  I kept hearing something behind me.  Like, RIGHT behind me.  and I would stop and it would stop.  I would turn around with my light on and nothing was there...well when I got to the stand it turned out that it was a harness strap that was loose and drooping down into the leaves.  When iw as walking it would occasionally drag.  I freaked out over nothing! HAHA
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: September 21, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
Chase perry, great story! It scared me just reading it lol.
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: September 21, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
When I was 14 my parents would drop me off at the woods and let me bow hunt alone.

I went into my grandpas woods and sat against a large tree.

I had what sounded like Little girls laughing and shrieking all around me. worst part is it was moving and circling me.

As you know a 14 Year old Imagination is Big.  I was FREAKED out and sat cowering next to that old tree waiting for my imminent death by Ghost.

It stopped after it was light and I continued to hunt freaked out until my parents picked me up.

Later I found that it was probably bobcats as they weren't uncommon in that area.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: September 21, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
I was hunting flounder on a gigging trip when still a youngster when I saw the flying saucer.

I was in my mid teens and gigging the grass flats in Murrels Inlet SC.  One of my first trips alone.  

I looked up and saw something sparkling in the sky.  It was coming towards me.  The closer it got I realized the lights were revolving around a disk?  There was no doubt in my mind I was watching a flying saucer heading toward Myrtle Beach.  

It got withing 200 yards of me (thank goodness) and the lights "stopped" revolving and I noticed it said "Eat at Mommas Kitchen".  Then I heard the small craft motor and realized it was a small plane pulling a lite up sign.  

Another 100 yards away and I would still believe in the alien invasion.  As it is I remember being scared, not just scared but shut down the body scared.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: September 21, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
Wish I had some strange story to tell - none come to mind - but I sure like reading these.

Thanks to all for sharing their stories and hopefully many more will...   :archer:
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: September 21, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
When I was a kid we'd always go visit my uncle, who lived in a cave, every year for Christmas. And every year he'd eat one of us. Later I figured out he was a bear.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: September 21, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
Done the bobcat scream - made me climb back into my stand for awhile.

One that sticks in my mind was a canoe trip down a creek, had bright idea to get to some flooded timber ducks with a recurve. Got out and walked an area of swamp, it was thick as usual but good area and good deer sign.
Sixth sense was kicking my brain, that all was not right and something was in there with me. I believe sometimes you can let your imagination get the best of ya and other times you need to pay attention to your instincts. I kept moving through the area making a circle. Never lost the feeling things weren't "right". At one point of land that jutted out in the swamp I heard something and looked back over my left shoulder and saw something crossing perpendicular to me. Just a glimpse. Saw a shoulder and head, it was vertical moving in nature, most I heard of it were leaves/bushes rustling but had to strain to hear that. I eased on back to the canoe and out of there, never scared?? Per say but spooked. Something else was in there.

Encountered a lot of black bears in my time, they can be straight ghosts in the woods or they can be as loud a s a C130. This just didn't move like it was on all fours.

I think about that little glimpse often, maybe it was 5/6' tall. And just a glimpse. Don't know what was there nor do I know all that is out there.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: September 21, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
OK, story #2. It'll be short but is probably the most scared I've been while hunting.

I was deer hunting (with a rifle) about an hour before dark. It was lightly snowing and had been for a couple hours so I was hoping to cut some fresh sign. I found several tracks and began following them along a drainage.

I was basically going to make about a mile long loop along the drainage then back up to timber and to my truck by dark hoping to catch up to the deer that made the tracks.

As it was I never saw the deer and with light fading fast I headed for timber and the area I had just came from. Along the way I cut some very fresh lion tracks. Honestly didn't think much of it as I had seen lion sign there before but had never seen a cat. Kept going and finally came to the beginning of my "circle" where I had started for the drainage.

I saw the cat tracks again, he had crossed my tracks in the snow, turned back and was following them for as far as I could see.  At that point all I could feel was chills as I peered back at the timber I had just left. All I could wonder was how far behind me was he? I still had close to a mile to go, it was almost dark, that gray black period that you can get when it is snowing. And being young and dumb I had no light.

I made the mile back to the truck in record time, and probably wasn't ever in danger, but it isn't something I'd care to repeat.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: September 22, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
I'm only 23 so I haven't had as much time as some of you to experience weird things, but I'm sure my time will come  ;)  

I've been going hunting with family since I could walk, and hunting on my own since I was legally allowed.

One time when I was 15 or so, I had walked to my ground blind built under a giant tree on the edge of a ravine, with the backside facing a giant hillside. I walked in around 5:30 or so with my Dad, and after he broke off to his stand I continued through the valley and up over the hillside to my blind.

As I neared the tree I could hear some faint noise coming from somewhere around me, but couldn't quite tell what it was. I sat up in my blind and held my .257 Roberts closer to my chest than I probably ever had before.

Light was just starting to break, and all of the sudden my tree just erupted. Little to my knowledge, around 50 turkeys were roosted right above my head in the tree, and when they all took off it sounded like a helicopter was landing 5 feet from me. I jumped up and nearly crapped myself, only to have a good laugh of course. I'll always laugh when I think about that one.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline tonytwotimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
Great stories, I've just spent a couple hours reading this whole thread. I know I don't contribute much but I just couldn't resist this one.

Close to Cuba, New Mexico my brother and I had been out on a weekend fly fishing trip. It was in the Santa Fe National Forest pretty close to Los Alamos (birthplace of the atom bomb) and we were in the middle of a pretty bad drought so it was zero tolerance for camp fires. All we had was my little oil lamp and some candle lanterns. The night sky was crystal clear and the stars were just majestic.

I like to watch the sky for shooting stars and pick out satellites on nights like this and as such we had our eyes glued to the sky. We had been watching passenger jets fly their normal east west route way up in the sky and seen a couple satellites pass over. Just then we started seeing them.

As a jet would pass we started to notice solid white light flying in the same flight path not far behind them, no more than the width of your hand behind if your arm is extended straight towards the sky.
We saw probably five or six of them in about 10 minute intervals, slowly getting brighter before fading to almost nothing. It was after about an hour of this that we watched two of them intersect each others path. One of them as it came directly overhead began to get incredibly bright, as if it was coming straight toward us.

We weren't really scared until this moment. It became the brightest object in the sky and then just stopped for a fewvseconds before it moved again and began to dim.

Rifles in hand we crawled into our one man tents, respectively and watched the sky through the netting. I had finally started to nod off when we started hearing things in the creek nearby....
Life is like an arrow, the farther back you're pulled, the farther forward you'll end up.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #293 on: September 22, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
OMG WHY DID I OPEN THIS THREAD I WILL NEVER SLEEP AGAIN!! LOL.

LMAO, but seriously some great stories.  Can't say the hairs on the back of my neck didn't rise a time or two reading this stuff.

I've got words like "WENDIGO, BUNYIP, BIGFOOT, MOTHMAN" or whatever dancing in my head now!!  

Hmm, how much did Dept of Agriculture lady say that concealed was???....

:D
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: September 27, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
This is last encouter I have to talk about and it didnt happen to me but to my father when he was Hikeing threw the blue mountains near Sydney in his late teens he had set up camp for the night and was answering natures call when he had a feeling of beeing wached he said he just shruged it off untill later in the evning when he herd something crossing the little creek he was camping beside he said is made almost  no noise apart from a dripping sound untill it got to the rocky bank and he could hear footsteps moving towards his camp he put his mag light on it as it reached the top of the bank and it just froze for a few seconds before turning and running back across the creek and into the bush making a hell of a racket for 5 seconds then all went quiet again and he didnt hear a thing for the rest of the night but felt like he was being wached the whole time untill daylight.
He said it had the head kind of a bear crossed with a man and was only young looking and not very tall mabey 4ft at most and was coved in dark hair.
When he got into town a couple of days later and was talking to a publican about it he said that the local aboriginals call them yahoo and that they would kill and eat your dog if it runs off into the bush.
Thats all he told me and he only told me this after I told him about my encouter up north pigging and the best thing he said right at the end was don't tell your mother or we will never be able to go camping again. Iv asked him about it a few times and the story has never changed and he still wont talk about it in front of mum
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: September 28, 2014, 01:19:00 AM »
About Ten years ago was out calling in the Sierras . Was doing the dying fawn stuff . Stopped calling waiting for the coyote to come in . Something was behind me and before I could move it had me buy my head felt its fangs on my forehead and back of my neck. I rolled  forward hitting my head on the ground got up seen movement and shot. Was a young bobcat. The fangs was only its claws trying to get into my clothing. I thought for sure a bear or lion had me.  Alien story will tell later.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: January 04, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
ttt
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #297 on: January 05, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Thumper Dunker:
  Alien story will tell later.
It's later!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: January 05, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
I too love these stories.  I forgot that I read most of these many years ago when they appeared.  I jumped right in and started reading them again and when I came to the OgoPogo story, I sent him a PM like he posted it yesterday!  I didn't know that he posted it in 2007!  Who knows if he is still even here.

Oh well.

What I am curious about is the subject that we all like to read about....BIGFOOT.  I have been mildly interested in the subject for many years and now I live in Spring, Texas and right on the borderline of an area that is supposed to have sightings all the time, the Sam Houston National Forest and the Big Thicket area.

I don't know if the darned thing is real, but the voluminous sightings by people that KNOW the outdoors and the critters that are in the areas they are hunting and hiking, tell me that something is going on out there.  Sure, there are many of these so called sightings that are mistakes, hoaxes, and just plain lies, but are every single one of them mistakes or wrong?  If one 1 of the thousands of reports is right, we've got something roaming around the woods in this country that is not known.  As someone with a Zoology degree, I think it would be the most exciting thing to happen to science in 100 years if one were brought in.

I think there is no other group better trained to ID these things and give info than bowhunters like TRAD guys.

What do you all think?

Nalajr

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: January 05, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
Google "Aliens in the Forest" on You-tube.

Bowhunters encounter aliens.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©