3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Public land hunting tips and advice??  (Read 402 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Public land hunting tips and advice??
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
For those of you who hunt public land, you got any advice on outsmarting deer? How to find them when they disappear? or public land hunting tips you have found over the years?    :archer2:
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Public land hunting tips and advice??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Get way off the road, the farther you go in the less chances of running into other hunters.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Don't overlook the small spots. Most people don't bother to check out those little 1/2 acre spots!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
2x on getting off road, go as far as you, and hunt on weekdays.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
I've got no proof but I've noticed that on public land I see people use alot of the gimicks.  Scents, attractancts and such.  I have a suspicion that I'm still trying to prove.  In my mind it makes sense.  I try to be scent free and quiet.  I hope that deer either wise up or are spooked and wind up in my lap.  That being said, it's been a few years since I've gotten a deer on public land.  This year I found a white oak tree though.  Can't wait...  Good luck.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Scout as much as possible, for human sign as much as deer, then try to figure out the escape routes they use when other guys invade the area. Be there before they start pushing 'em around and get ready for some action. Be there mid-day also if you can, the deer will move when most other hunters are heading out to eat or whatever.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Hunting the weekdays.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
I used to hunt public land a lot, and I have found that most people don't get very far from a road at all. I imagine if you go as much as 400-500 yards from the roads, you will see very few hunters. You may have to go bit farther if there are easy trails for 4wheelers. Most people don't hunt the really thick stuff, either, but the ones that do are worth taking note of. They probably know what they are doing.
Sam

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Along with everything here, look where most guys park. Set up on the other side on escape or travel trails. I started seeing so many more deer when others walking in moved deer towards me.

As said, dont use funky scents, they will be all over and the deer will stray away.
Disappear and wait.
If an area is dead, MOVE!
David M. Conroy

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
I see you're from PA.... The best advice I can give is get out there on opening day,because after that, deer quickly adjust and stay on private or posted land until after dark before moving to public lands. That's why you see sign but no deer.

Offline tyson216

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
Keep it coming.  This will be my first year trying out public land.  And any advice specific to Indiana public land would be nice too.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
I try to find areas that others don't hunt. It could be a long ways from the beaten path, areas that are real hard to get too..thick, up and down ridges, right up next to a main hwy, right behind a main campsite, etc. Either hard to get to or overlooked.

Then I look for places like the above that have some sort of sanctuary close (closed area, private land not hunted much, big swamps, etc.) by and put those at the top of the list.

Another thing I look for when traveling through big public land areas on the hwy is greasy spots on the road. You see a lot of old stains there's game crossing in that area.

I use to lay in my tent at night on one big public land area and hear the semi's blowing a mile away every night...then when on stand I hear them again during prime time morning and evenings.

Where I live now I hear the horns blow right at prime times in areas I know deer are crossing roads.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
Google Earth. Look for alternative access areas. Wear waders,get right into the nastiest stuff you can find. I LOVE to access an areas that are bordered by water on the opposite side of access parking. The further,the better. Also look for any area that is bordered by private lands on more than one side. Make certain you know boundry lines. I love going into areas that have large creeks to cross wearing camo neoprene waders. NOBODY wants to get wet. Hunt Hard.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline oldgrouch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »
I used to hunt most of the public land in central and southeast Ohio.

I killed more game within sight of the open trails than anywhere else.

I would set up between parking areas. These areas are usually the deer travel ways, once the hunters show up.

I killed several deer when they would stop and focus their attention on vehicles moving along the gravel roads.

Just another technique to try.

I also found this to work on mule deer in several units in Colorado.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
Follow the food sources and learn where other hunters like to hang
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 06:45:00 AM »
the problem with public land is..the public.
You can do everything right and have a non-hunter,squirrel hunter or horseback rider ruin the whole set up (happens to me all the time)
Thats just part of it.
But I agree with above, get to a place where others are not.(or at least where you dont think they will be.
Stay away from man made trails,parking areas etc.
Slickhead

Offline Karl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
If you don't know, learn to quarter your deer (aka gutless) so you can pack it out.  Can't think of the number of times someone has told me, "yeah but I don't want to drag a deer out of there!!"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
I put this post up not only for myself but others. cause hunting public land can be tough!! you really have to keep at it. plan on not seeing much and having others mess you up throughout the season. The best advice i can give you is hunt heavy cover and treat open woods as though it were a field. hunt pinch points during the rut and dont call much. i have had mixed success calling. every guy uses the can grunts and rattles. so they wise up real quick but sometimes you catch one in the mood. also be prepared to take first best shot you get and try to make it count may be the only one you get all season.. i dont hunt trails much either as it never seems to pay off. it mite take a week for them to come trough that trail again. i have had luck hunting rub lines for bucks but not scrapes. it seems to me anyway they only hit them at nite. sitting for a week and not seeing a deer is not uncommon, then all a sudden there are deer headed rite at you. good luck and keep the tips coming!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
If you find an area that looks too thick to hunt, hunt it.  Pressure pushes them into the really nasty stuff.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
My wife is a Survivor tv show fan. Their slogan is "Out wit, Out play, Outlast". Change one word and you have my philosophy for hunting any land public or private.

Out wit, Out scout, Outlast.

Adaptability and thinking outside the box are important. People are creatures of habit and more patternable than deer. Some areas walking a looong way helps and sometimes the close spots are overlooked. Deer will eat and poop. Fresh poop is worth its weight in gold.   :D  

Scouting for the usual deer sign as well as people helps determine the strategy. Checking on parking areas and keeping tabs on certain areas during prime people times helps also. Time in the field is always good but also lets your vehicle be seen by other hunters. Most don't want to hunt next you just as much as you don't want to hunt next to them.

Outlast probably kills more deer than anything else. When everyone is going to get some grub stay! When everyone is in bed becuase its late season and bitter cold hunt! When the heat is almost unbearable put on some shorts, throw a cooler in the truck and hunt!

:archer2:   Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©