3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bad broadhead flight  (Read 231 times)

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
Bad broadhead flight
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Ive been shooting a bow for about 55 years and I have never had this happen. I shoot close to 50 #s (49 to 52) I am shooting gold tip 35-55 and vapor 3000 .Field tips fly like lazer beams I have used these arrows for a number of years and have shot many animals and targets with the same 3 bows and these arrows with broadheads and field tips . Suddenly my broadheads (W.W.and razorheads) are so eratic they actualy miss the whole target at times .They shoot low and to the right and wooble. Ive tried everthing in my form to no avail. A Beman 400 seems to shoot good and since its hunting season I have my quiver loaded with 60 to 65# doug firs that shoot excellent. Anybody got any Ideas on whats happening ?

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bad broadhead flight
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Sounds like a tuning problem.  You may be underspined...I just had the same problem a few weeks ago.  Since the season is so close, I dropped from 160 grn points to 125 grn points and fised it.

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
How much weight up front are you running? I recently went through the same thing with my Centaur. I bareshafted and got great flight with field tips, when I switched to b'heads it was bad....I got the shooting OK but my braceheight seemed much higher than needed. A call to Jim to see what he thought helped me out. Turns out my arrows were just way underspined, he told be back way off on point weight and start over since changing arrow length was not an option in my case at this time. I backed way down and worked my way back up with the brace set at Jims recomendation and it didn't take long to get it shooting good with field tips. Swapped around some inserts and shot some broadheads and they were flying like little lazer beams. I'm shooting a little lighter arrow than I would like, 10gr per pound, but they fly beautifully....and very flat to 25yds out of the 50# Centaur.

So in my case the weak arrows shot beautifully with field tips but not with broadheads. I am running a 29" gt 35/55 with 200gr up front for a finished weight of 500gr now.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
A 29 " 35-55 with 150 grain WW or the 125rn. bear no other wt up front . 27.5" draw length. These same arrows shot great last spring hunting hogs with the same setup. I'm puzzeled they act too light in spine I think my 400 Bemans are stiffer and they shoot great.

Offline Brad Arnett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
Doesn't sound like you have too much weight up front. Have you checked brace/nock point to see if they moved? Do the broadheads spin true?

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Have you checked your brace height yet?
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tim Finley:
Ive been shooting a bow for about 55 years and I have never had this happen. I shoot close to 50 #s (49 to 52) I am shooting gold tip 35-55 and vapor 3000 .Field tips fly like lazer beams I have used these arrows for a number of years and have shot many animals and targets with the same 3 bows and these arrows with broadheads and field tips . Suddenly my broadheads (W.W.and razorheads) are so eratic they actualy miss the whole target at times .They shoot low and to the right and wooble. Ive tried everthing in my form to no avail. A Beman 400 seems to shoot good and since its hunting season I have my quiver loaded with 60 to 65# doug firs that shoot excellent. Anybody got any Ideas on whats happening ?
if I read this right they did fly good before? so assuming your boradheads are mounted perfect I'd 1st check your brace height,
2nd make sure your not torquing the bow,
3rd just before release PUSH your fist thats holding the bow towards the kill spot and let it fly (this tricks the brain to not allow your string hand to creep resulting in stiff spine.

when I'm having problems this works for me!
"Us vs Them"

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Brace ht nt.pt. everything is good broadheads are spun true (I'm very fussy on these things) this is extreme bad arrow flight at times even kicked dirt up in front and to the side of block target on several shots . Again, field pts base ball size groups at 20 yards in center of target doug firs with WW same .

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Tim, are these new heads or did you use them last year, maybe it's a goofy batch. Bad time a year for this, maybe grab your next favorite bow and give it a shot. I have read some threads with the "high tech" guys that some heads (hell razors) don't shoot with straight fletch, are you helical fletched or did you switch to straight.  (Hell razors are similar to ww). Only stuff I can come up with, again check the helical.
Funny replies, we can give the benefit to Tim, without a doubt, it is not beginner rookie type mistakes. Think deeper folks!

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
rraming may be on to something.  If arrows or broadheads are new, could be the root of the problem.
There was a post about a month ago about someone who had some GT's they thought were mislabeled.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Old proven eqipment, helical fletch . I have to be doing somthing different !!!

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
Ok, here is my last thought, your using a single nock and it's sliding down, old serving you did not bother your wife to make you a new one, she's a good string maker, just ask nice-ha! Or add a second nock.
Only reason I say that is I need two nocks on carbon but only one on wood and that was something that just happened over time.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
Maybe your subconscious is telling you that you need new broadheads or a new bow. Mine does that from time to time.  :D
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
To add to what Rich said... check for shelf wear too.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
A new bow for Tim is not a problem lol. Just got a call from my wife and I have my new one Tim made for me waiting at home....come on 7pm  :bigsmyl:  In case no one knows this thread was started by Tim Finley of Kota Bows. His work is second to none. One hell of a bowyer   :thumbsup:
Kota Prairie Fire 55@28 60"
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 56@28 58"
Treadway Black Swamp 52@28 58"

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
You wont find a nicer gent or crafted bow any where

Unreal fit and finsh

Need lice of your new kota

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement