3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When do you start shooting broadheads?  (Read 432 times)

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
When do you start shooting broadheads?
« on: September 21, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks from the opener here in Virginia and I still have not shot any broadheads yet. I guess I have just been assuming they are going to fly where I want because when I do my part my field tips do. When do you guys start shooting your broadheads? I am worried I have waited to long and may run into trouble and I won't be able to shoot until monday as this is my weekend to work 12 hour shifts and it's dark when I leave the house and dark when I get home.
Kota Prairie Fire 55@28 60"
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 56@28 58"
Treadway Black Swamp 52@28 58"

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When do you start shooting broadheads?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
I start when initially setting up and tuning a bow. As soon as I'm satisfied with field points I move on to broadheads. In my mind everything isn't right until the broadheads are flying true.  I've been shooting my main hunting rigs with broadheads for practice for over a month now.(Not everyday but a couple of times a week)

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
I guess I should add I am shooting 55-56#@28 and I draw around 27.5". My arrows are Gold Tip expidition hunter 55/75 (30" long) with a 150 grain field tip and I am planning on using Zwickey Eskilites and they weigh in around 145 grains.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Shoot them ASAP.  If there's an issue, you'll need a little time to fix it before the season opens.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
gringol said it X2. I checked my Zwickeys flight a week ago out to 25 yards. Just like my field points.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline False Cast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
I'll second that shooting broadheads is part of the initial bow tuning for me. I'll shoot a few every once in a while to make sure nothing has moved on me and double check before the season starts.

Take some time to make sure they're dialed in. It's important and may take some tuning but you still have some time.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
I'm using the same bow and arrows as the last couple seasons. I haven't changed a thing but I still shot each of my broadheads several times just in case. I did this a month ago with our season opener being the end of next week.

I sharpened them this morning before work. I'm ready.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
MY season opens Oct 1 and I started using broad heads exclusively since Sept 1. That Rhinehart 18-1 target sure is great, but doesnt look like it could take a whole year of broad heads. 8^(
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
I see myself trying a few shots in the dark tonight to see where I am at  :knothead:  starting to freak out a bit!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
Take it easy and don't freak.  Wait till you get a day and shoot them.  It would have been nice to start sooner, but if they fly OK then you are done.

I also like to shoot mine, not only at a close up target, but also at a dirt or sand bank maybe 60 yards away, so I can watch the arrow the whole way.

SHoot straight.
ChuckC

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Don't freak out we still have a couple of weeks.

I always have a couple of practice arrows with broadheads on them out of the same batch as my hunting arrows. I will shoot a few groups of field points mixed with broadheads. Nice to see them all go into the same group.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
I like to shoot them a bit all throughout the year.  Once I know what broadheads will be in my quiver, I keep them there and launch some at my target from time-to-time.  Once I know they fly well, I can tell if my form is bad because they start NOT flying well.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
I always have a broadhead tipped arrow in my quiver and shoot it on a regular basis year round.  Mostly for confidence with the whole set-up...

I do the same thing with setup, get the field points flying well, then check what the broadhead is doing as a "fine-tuning" if you will...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
I shoot nothing but broadheads year round. I have a bunch of target tips somewhere in my man cave but would be challenged to find them
BD

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
I shoot them all year long
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
I tried to do some shooting last night after work even though it was darn near dark. First shot I figured I would try a few at 20 yards. Figured if they flew good from there they would fly good from 20 and in. Well it was pretty much dark and couldn't hardly see anything but I took and shot anyway and heard a "smack"! Walked up to my target and found I had hit low into a 2x10 that surrounds my homemade target. So I left it for then and shot several shots at 10 yards and they were on the money, but it was only 10 yards. Going to have to wait until monday so I can have some time and daylight. Tried removing the broadhead from the 2x10 and ended up busting the end of the arrow! should have just screwed the arrow off and messed with the broadhead later! Noticed when I got in the house I had done shaved/cut several fletchings off several arrows....more work...running out of time

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
I started shooting a few broadhead shots every day in August. Our season starts in Oct. I continue to shoot my 3D  bow too.
John

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Hey Frankie! Don't feel rushed with this stuff... Like you said, Monday will have it all worked out for ya... Remember, it only takes one good shot.

Your broadheads and field points are close in weight. Good. Now, do your broadheads spin true? Sometimes I need to take a broadhead from one shaft to another to find a "true spin". Spin 'em like a top on a hard surface. Find the three or four good ones for your hunting arrows. The rest or maybe just one can be for practice. (I like to file the sharp edge down on my practice broadheads.)

Don't rush the shot testing broadhead arrows... Take it easy and slow down..... Don't shoot "groups" with BH's. Oh yea. Choose one bow for now... I see you have three nice ones.

Best Of Luck!

... mike ...     :archer2:     ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by DesertDude:
I shoot them all year long
DITTO!!! hunt all year long
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Got to shoot today because I got off of work early.  Broadhead tipped arrows fly like darts just like the field tipped arrows  :D  of course I have to do my part. Only problem I noticed now is before I went out to shoot I took a cigarette lighter and put a little heat to the broadhead to align the broadhead with the cock feather so it wouldn't be in my sight picture and I noticed a few of the broadheads didn't want to re-adhear to the aluminum insert/adapter and when I tried pulling them from the adapter with heat applied they wouldn't come off??? I will figure em out!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©