3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow quiver replacement foam  (Read 315 times)

Offline John J

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow quiver replacement foam
« on: September 21, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
Today I found an old Bohning "pinnacle" quiver at a second hand store. The foam hood is almost gone and I found that Bohning no longer makes the pinnacle nor the replacement foam hood. So my question is; what do I use for foam other then the "real" thing? I cannot find anything that looks like it would fit.

Thanks in advance,

John
I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. -- James Madison

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow quiver replacement foam
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Find some foam that is suitable......shape it to fit and stick it in. If good foam is to thin glue 3 or 4 pieces together and shape it to fit. Done it many times......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline nybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I just made one for my bow quiver out of a yoga block. It worked great. Just carve down a piece to fit. You can buy a whole block for about 12 bucks at walmart and have enough for along time.
The morning first light ,In the stand, Griffin longbow in my hand >>>==========> PRICELESS

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »
Anyone tried the Great Stuff Foam for filling the Hood?  :campfire:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
Replaced my original 1992 BW side quiver foam with a discarded flat screen TV packaging foam (it was tight and dense) I found behind a Best Buy store trash pile. And as others have mentioned, trim and shape to fit...made mine just a tad larger, so I would not have to glue in (did not want to add anymore smell/scent to my gear) just pushed into the hood. Beats buying a universal replacement small block for 10 or 12 bills. Call me cheap, but really I am frugal, just have expensive toys!

JL

:archer2:
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
BTW, I also thought about spraying in with the insulation foam "Great Stuff" but opted not to because that "Stuff" stinks, super sticky (replacement will be difficult to remove residue) And if you are not careful will overfill and get on everything.

My 2 centavos

JL

No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
yoga blocks
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:38:00 PM »
Sleeping mats from the army surplus work great too.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
I have  several of the quivers still in bags maybe even some replacement foams, I 'll try to get a look over the weekend and let you know if there are any foams, but pretty sure there are.Closed my shop 10 yeras ago but still some old stock on hand.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
The dense packing  foam works great. If all else fails go to a sporting goods store where they sell the rubber pads used for putting a canoe on the top of your car. Those pads are great for bow quivers.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline John J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
Wow, it looks like I have a bunch of options. Thanks.

John
I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. -- James Madison

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by nybowman:
I just made one for my bow quiver out of a yoga block. It worked great. Just carve down a piece to fit. You can buy a whole block for about 12 bucks at walmart and have enough for along time.
I have been trying to convince everyone for about a year now to try a "yoga block" and looks like some of you have ...It's good stuff and easy to shape with a sander,bandsaw, rasp or whatever you have...  :thumbsup:

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
By using the Yoga blocks, will we be able to shoot from a tree with more flexibility?

JL

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Great Stuff Foam works for me, both on bow quiver and side quiver.  Not real durable with broad head but what is.  About mid season I reapply and it is like new. I spray foam with black paint so white foam is not so visible.

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Rubatex sheet from A/C trades supply store.  They don't sell to the public, because yall would put us out of work if yall had access to the parts, but if you tell them what your doing, they'd likely have a piece with a bad corner and give it away.

Offline hart2hart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Interlocking fatique mats(3/4" thick) from Wally World or equivalent.Cut several pieces a little larger than you need.Uaually about 3 or 4..glue together with shoe goo or equivalent..let dry and shape with a rasp.I usually drill a 3/8s hole through the top layer only to give points a place to center.
Mats may also be found at garage sales,thrift stores,etc.
Good luck.
Mike

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
Kneeling pads for garden use-look them over as there are different densities, flip-flop sandals and layer the foam.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©