3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting with deer looking...what's your experience?  (Read 552 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting with deer looking...what's your experience?
« on: September 21, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
Took a nice doe this morning and she locked on me about the time I was settling to anchor.  Anywhere short of that and I would have paused or tried to let down, but got away with it this time. She dropped to lunge and the hit was a bit further back and higher than I would have liked, but I still caught the top of the lungs.  Might have gone 50 yds. and I heard her go down.  What's your experience with this scenario?  I figure the percentages aren't good, but it helped that the shot was no more than 15 yds.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting with deer looking...what's your experience?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
Here is a link to a thread where I asked a similar question.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=117254#000000

Congrats on the doe!   :thumbsup:

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
I never do it , every situation is different though. Good shot, have some pics and a story?    :campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
I'll pass on that shot.  Their reaction time is much quicker than mine.  Congratulations.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
I tried several times over the years and never got by with it. Now I think I'm older and wiser I won't try it.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
Ive shot one.. Very fast reflexes resulted in a gut shot and a lost deer. I will not shoot another that is looking at me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
Congrats on the doe!

Would love to see some pics.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
Don't do it if you can help it. Your shot had a high prob. of missing. Glad it worked out for you. Congrats
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Results have been so poor I don't even think about it anymore...well, not for the past 20 years or more.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
I had a small buck stare me down at about 7 yards once. He caught movement of me grabbing my bow. I slowly raised my bow as he pawed the ground. The second time he lifted his leg I put an arrow just behind the crease. He didn't drop or spin til after the arrow was there. I guess because his leg was off the ground.?

Congrats on the doe!  pics?
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I shot a doe last year at about 9 yards from the base of the tree head on.  She was walking towards a fence crossing I was perched over so I started the draw as she wouldn't catch me while she was moving.  About 2/3rds the way home, my fletching scrapped the front bar on my stand as I was starting to level the bow out to reach full draw.

She looked dead at me, but I never stopped and by the time she really focused the arrow was on it's way.  She reacted and dropped about 3 inches, but the arrow went thru the neck patch, down the neck, into the boiler room, and out the back of the sternum.  A few yards farther and it would have been bad, so I won't do it again.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 09:16:00 PM »
They duck!

Old doe years back...ducked, jumped or otherwise dodged 5 arrows till my quiver was empty...then walked closer to see what I was! LOL
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
I dont do it anymore.  I had a doe drop and spin as the arrow got close,hit her in the back of the neck.  I wont shoot at an alert deer any longer.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Very poor percentage shot.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
Don't.  Don't make eye contact.  If they look your way freeze and squit until they relax.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
I shot a doe at 8 or 9 yards last year that I mouth bleated over a creek and she busted me at the start of my draw. She didn't even flinch when I shot. She didn't survive that encounter.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 05:54:00 AM »
It's according to when they look. I shot over 9 or 10 deer the first yr back with recurves. None jumped the string..don't know that I've ever had a deer jump the string, but I aim right behind the elbow now.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, that's what I thought the concensus would be.  I wasn't condoning the shot, it's just that this was the first time I recall ever attempting it.  Normally if deer are alert I don't move, period.  Won't look them in the eyes either...baaadddd juju! I've had plenty of bad things happen when deer weren't looking and was a bit ashamed as soon as I dropped the string (rare form of target panic...that the target's getting ready to haul a**).  I was really inquiring as to whether you feel the flight response is triggered more by sound than sight. And obviously, I have to assume the deer had busted me. I was in a tree and the deer could have been just looking in my direction trying to pick me out. The down side is that we'll not hear the deer's side of it.  All I know is when that head came up, my "anxiety meter" red-lined. Sorry, no pics.  She was a fat thing, and I was so excited about getting away with an "iffy" shot, that I managed to nick the paunch and replicate Mt. St. Helens spewing acorn mast.  Was not going to descrate a beautiful creature by capturing the moment with it coverd in "neon green icing",  And oh, that lovely smell!

Also, I thought it odd that the deer I took, as well as one that came by as I was getting down to track had no fawns. I'd guess mine may have been a "late bloomer" last year that didn't come into estrous.  The second was a whopper that might have been barren.  Probably 90%+ of does I see this time of year are accompanied by fawns.  Don't know if this was just a reproductive "off-year" or the coyotes are well-fed!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
In my experience, don't do it. I've learned the hard way in my younger days.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
If they are for sure looking at me I won't attempt it.  But I shoot alot of deer in which I can see their eyes.  Sometimes you think they are looking at you when in fact they are looking past you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©