3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moose float?  (Read 432 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Moose float?
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
I and the son in law are planning an Alaskan moose float for either next year or 2014.  Just in the beginning stages and are plenty confused by the outfitter situation.  Neither of us has ever been on a guided or outfitted hunt and would like some thoghts on good outfitters.  We plan to float unguided.

Any thoughts?  Sponsors, please chime in!!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Moose float?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Float the Moose John with Ernie Holland.  This is the hunt that Jay Massie used to offer.  Good, outfitted hunt.  Not guided, but Ernie can probably find you a guide or guide you himself.  Would add to the cost, of course.  Need to be somewhat woodswise and self-sufficient and know something about how to paddle a raft.  You're on your own for 10 to 14 days.  If you've never done any wilderness camping/hunting, you might want to consider a guide rather than an outfitter.  Good luck.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 09:31:00 PM »
PM sent.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
you can diy go outfitter or guide...for moose in alaska....there is no requirements so its entirely up to you.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Yote Robertson is working with Ernie on the Moose John. Thats who I'd go with. Yote is a top notch trad bowhunter and a damn fine bowyer to boot
DonD

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 02:00:00 AM »
I have heard some good things about this guy. I do not know him personally. He is a hunt planner.
 http://www.alaskahuntplanning.com/Lost_Creek_Company/Home.html

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 05:08:00 AM »
How much icecream does it take to make a moose float?  :bigsmyl:

Offline normf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
I did a float with Bob Magnuson from McGrath on the Innoko river about 10 years ago. As far as outfitting goes you are pretty much on your own. He supplied a good raft and check flight. It rained for 7 days and the gravel bars they land the Super Cub on were  disappearing. He got us out on a float plane. We met some hunters who used a flying service and they were dropped a note saying to be 15 miles downstream if they wanted to be picked up. They had a small raft and a moose on the ground. I suspect the bears got the moose. You might save a few bucks using a flying service but if things go bad a good outfitter is worth it.
NFetscher

Offline chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »
X2 on Lost Creek Co.  Think he's got a book out actually.

Which way to go depends on your skills and how adventurous you are.  You can definitely find a river that has moose and is floatable by about anybody.  I would try and avoid the expense of being guided, and also avoid floating the same river a number of other people have regularly, after coming all this way.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
c907, Mike does and its well worth the money!!!!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Thanks for those references.

We plan to go outfitted and un guided.  I have some float experience on the Colorado and Gunnison in pursuit of fish and my son in law is a certified river guide here in CO.

Cost is an issue, but only to the extent that we want to get what we pay for!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 03:01:00 AM »
the mike in the previous post is top notch. plan on about $5000 a person for a fly out diy hunt. call mike he will answer any questions you may have.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 03:17:00 AM »
the only downfall to a moose float is loading and unloading every day a dead moose!  Seems easy enough...by the end of week two if you shoot one early you're about beat.   Otherwise you'll enjoy it...most moose float water isnt difficult so there isnt a hole ton of float experience needed honestly.  

If you can look over the area you're going to float and pay particular attention to the oxbows and sloughs off the river these are typically the better areas to pay attention too, though not always they definatly warrent a closer look.  

And if you can (it may not be feasable), fly the length of the river you plan on floating.  If there is some bad water, usually bad snags, though sometimes some bad canyon water depending on the river, its nice to know ahead of time where its at.  If you go with Mike I'm sure he'll fill you in on the details if there is any.

I like the older dry creek beds that fed the main streams if they arent TOO over grown.  They are natural highways and definatly are worth going on a hike into and doing some calling!!!  

enjoy it and share the pics.

Oh one last thought...not 1 but 2 bear fences.  After a recent read, the 2nd bear fence would come into play on your meat cash.   Every area is different concerning bear issues....one is a worthy investment if you have room for it.  If its a bad bear area I'd highly recommend two!

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 04:03:00 AM »
I've floated for moose, but not inAlaska.  However you do your hunt remember to use the river as your highway.  In other words stop often and hike a ways off the river to do your hunting.  The moose congregate near rivers but won't necessarily be standing on the banks waiting to be shot.  Depending on the length of your float there might/will be only a few hotspots so plan to have enough time to spend at least a full day in one or two of these hotspots.  Usually the hotspot will have ample willows for feed and a nice ripe cow moose to attract the boys.

In these days of satellite phones you'd be a little suicidal not to bring one along.  Along with a SPOT messenger to let

Sounds like a fun trip and will be if you do your homework.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©