3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Marc Anthony Ghillie or RS Longcoat?  (Read 915 times)

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
Marc Anthony Ghillie or RS Longcoat?
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
I will be buying one of these for hunting this year, I plan to spend all of this season on the ground. Anybody try both? I have read about every ghillie thread on here and I still cant decide!

Thanks

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Marc Anthony Ghillie or RS Longcoat?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
Never tried both but I have the suit Marc Anthony came up with and am more than pleased with it.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »
I don't have the Anthony, but used one of the well-regarded "string-style" suits for a season.  Ended up buying a Rancho Shaggie Suit, and really came to prefer it.  They all work, but I felt like I was more invisible (unremarkable) to game in the RS.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »
I have a RS longcoat that I modified taking alot off it and adding dyed jute. No matter which one in my opinion you have to break it in by soaking with a hose and drag it through the dirt caking it all up real good then hose it down and let it air dry then beat it with a stick or 1" dowel like a rug. Sounds crazy but man it works

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
I've got the Marc Anthony suit - tops and bottoms.  I love it.  Sometimes I just wear the jacket because the pants pick up any loose twigs, etc. as you walk.  This suit design was well thought out for bowhunters.  Hood fits great, has pockets and slits to access your inside pockets.  Arm and chest are just cloth so you don't have to trim anything in order to shoot with it on.

Close encounters are amazing.  Many squirrels at 2-3 ft., Elk at 5 yds, Mule Deer buck at 4 FEET, turkeys at 8 yds - NOTHING knew I was there.  It is so much fun to sit there like you are invisible because you ARE.

Highly recommend the MA suit.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Sure, 50/50 on the help doesnt make it any easier    :D   I do like the looks of the RS 3Rivers sells a little better but Marc Anthony sure knows a few things about ground hunting.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
They are probably both great products.  I have a RS and love it. I do not have a MA, so can't add there.  Just pick one and go for it.  Practice ahead of time cause they will likely need altering to fit you.

and also.  Jerry G knows a lot about ground hunting too.  He more or less started this gig.
ChuckC

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
Will be using the M.A. jacket this year.  I will use it alone without pants.  I plan to be hunkerd down when deer are near so I don't think the pants are necessary.  I did buy the R.S. bowhunter boonie hat though to accompany the jacket.  With it I can move my head freely from side to side without any vision impairment like you have with the jacket's attached hood.  Breaking up the head & shoulder outline is what makes the ghillies so effective in my opinion.  Looking forward to some close encounters this year!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »
I looked around some more and just ordered the MA jacket and pants in the brown color. I think with a few mods it will be perfect. I plan on cutting the hood off and sewing it to a hat and adding a little camo dye to the sleeve/chest area. It should be a fun season!

Now I need to search for the perfect chair     :)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
I choose the RS pretty much the same way you did...internet search, and asking questions.  I got the same 50/50 results.  so I decided to call both MA & RS.  MA didn't answer the phone ( I don't talk to machines), and RS picked it up on the 2nd ring.  Over the next hour of telling and listing to hunting stories, I could feel the passion that Jerry puts into his product.  Ordered my ghillie on the spot.  Got it shortly after our phone call, and I went and did as Jerry told me to do.  I went to my hunting area (swamp), dug a hole and buried the ghillie for 2 weeks.  Dug it up, hosed it down, and let it sit in my swamp for 5 months "air drying".  I will be hunting for the first time with it on come a week from Monday.  only time will tell, but my hopes are pretty high.  I have hunted in leafy suits, and they are nice, but there is just no comparison to a real ghillie
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
I did not like the hood being attached on the Marc Anthony suit.  But that is the ONLY thing I don't like about it.  It's light weight compared to most other suits.  That I like.  I cut the hood off and wear it separately.  Problem solved!

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
I don't like the string suits because of the tangles and the crap you pick up if you wear it when walking. The RS doesn't have much of that, particularly if you get the one without the burlap. The light version of the long coat may not be quite as good in disguising your body, but it is plenty good enough, and it has the advantage of leafy suits in not clinging to every piece of vegetation it touches.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
I have a Cabela's leafy Ghillie that my Wife got me for Christmas two years ago & I really like it.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
I was debating on whether or not to cut the hood off my M.A. jacket but I think I may just do it.  I know I'll be never use it anyway.  Best of luck to everyone in their ghillies this season!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Butchie,  I thought the same thing about the hood but it fits so well that I started using it more and more and now most of the time the hood is up.  Try it a couple of times before you cut it off you might agree.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Jason as far as the seat check out the Torges seat topic. I'm sure you could build a beauty!

Offline Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
I have been following that one George, seems simple enough!

I have a Niff-T-Seat but it's not good for a very long sit.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
I have the rancho safari and love it. Only problem is it is too heavy for warm weather hunting. Has to get into mid 50's for me to use it.  That can be can be late in the year down here

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Are you guys using the RS Ultralight from 3Rivers or the "Bow Hunter Deluxe" straight from Rancho Safari?

I've never been a fan of hoods since they don't turn with my head...any problems in that area with yours?

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
I have the RS longcoat and have been fortunate to have several animals real close. I do have another string type ghillie and it picks up a lot more debris. Both effective. One thing I've noticed about hoods is that as my hearing deteriorates, hoods seem to impair it even more. I prefer the ghillie boonie hat for that reason. Jason, have you looked at the Hunterseat? I really like mine. Needs a little padding added for longer sits but it is incredibly versatile. Good luck!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©