3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pigger Went North  (Read 6045 times)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pigger Went North
« on: September 22, 2012, 02:49:00 AM »
Pigger went North & she took me with her….but I´m sure it was only for transportation.

A few pictures to get it started:

On the way in:

Dave at the front entrance to our home for the next eleven days:

Dave glassing the first evening above the camp:

We are traveling home tomorrow and will expand, embellish, and fill in details during layovers and then on Sunday (if I do not go elk hunting).  

An enticer:

The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pigger Went North
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 04:54:00 AM »
Good luck and enjoyed the scenery. Hope to see more.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 06:28:00 AM »
Looks like a broken shaft there, Walt. Wonder where the other half is...?
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:    :goldtooth:  cmon  Walt you can elk hunt any old time

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »
:campfire:   Can't wait to "see" the rest of the story!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
Geat Pictures Thanks.
...Mark

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hopewell Tom:
Looks like a broken shaft there, Walt. Wonder where the other half is...?
Hopefully it's bloody...
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
Best of luck  :archer:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Good luck elk hunting. I look forward to your stories
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Can't wait Walt.   I know the results and have been waiting for pics!    The link you emailed to me didn't get anywhere....?  It's probably me...  :banghead:
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Nah it didn't work for me either Mark, waiting on the edge of my chair...   ;)
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »
We barely made our connection in Seattle, so there isn't time to continue now.  It wi ll be tomorrow before I am able to copy the picture links and update the adventure.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
I like where this is going...   :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :coffee:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
:coffee:    :coffee:    :coffee:  
3 cups in to this and waiting ?
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
Okay, I'm back.  Sorry it took so long getting back on but for some reason the wife thought we needed to go out for breakfast and I should spend some time with her after being gone for over two weeks.  :dunno:  

Anyway form the beginning:

This hunt was a direct result of last year’s moose hunting thread by Kevin Dill & Bryan Burkheart on the PBS site.  Their excitement and enthusiasm rekindled a desire in me that had lain dormant since my last moose hunt 12 years before with brother Bob, Mark Baker, and Dale Teachout.  On that trip Mark Baker took a moose close to 60” with his selfbow “Bullwinkle”.  Many of you may have read about the trip in his first article for TBM so I will not go into the details.  Suffice to say, I turned down several opportunities and came home empty handed.  With the fire re-kindled, initial planning and research started last summer. Originally the plan was to go solo but when one of my hunting partners, Dave Johnson, indicated his interest in hunting moose the hunt was expanded to include him.  After a lot of research and inquiry with the AK F&G and friends (mostly by Dave) a flight service was selected, unfortunately they were fully booked; we were placed on the waiting list. After waiting three months, just prior to the PBS Banquet, somebody canceled and the hunt is on notice was received and the dates finalized.  I can't emphasize enough the need to start early with the planning.  We started looking to book the flight in November, by that time most reputable flight services were already booked for the next year.  We were lucky to moose hunt this year.  Book now if you want to hunt moose next year, you are already late.  Regarding where we hunted, we have sworn not to reveal anything other than it was in the interior of Alaska, a large area.

The day of the flight we met with the pilot, were transferred to a remote air strip via truck, and then flown into our remote camp from there.  It never ceases to amaze me where a Super Cub is able to fly and land, they are one amazing plane.  I would like to get one and learn to fly but am sure I'd kill myself having too much fun.
Coming in for the landing:

Dave and me in front of the plane just before it left:

After transporting both of us in and setting camp it was nearly dark, but there was enough time to glass the surrounding area but no moose were seen.

We lived and slept in the 6 man Kifaru and stored gear in the done style 3 man tent.  Next time we will leave the dome tent at home and use a tarp to cover any excess gear.  The Kifaru was....well...nice.  However, I highly recommend getting the 8 man version so you can stand up and store/keep some extra gear in the tent.  The stove was great and a definite must.  Also, get the liner for the Kifaru, moisture build up was a constant issue, even with the stove.

Other camping equipment used was a Primus backpacker and Jet boil stoves (both worked well), Tyvek was used for ground cloths under/over the sleeping bags.  Without the tent liner these were essential to keep our sleeping bag dry if they touched the tent walls.

Walt Francis

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
On with the hunt.  

The second day, first hunt day, was scheduled for exploring the area within packable distance of the airstrip, initially set at two miles.  After traversing the terrain in all directions that distance was reduced to little over a mile.  I had forgotten how tough traveling the tundra could be.  A side note, we were both in good shape, having packed 70-80# loads up and down the local M in Bozeman several times each week.  A couple of viable glassing and calling points were determined and tried before the end of hunt day one, without any success.  

During our exploring a likely tree was found and a birch bark call made for Dave.  
Scraping the bark:

Dave soaking the bark to shape it:

The birch bark call from my previous trip had been forgotten at home, my intent was to use my hands and nothing else.  However, during our hiking we found an old rotted out birch tree with the bark intact, a few minutes of removing rotted wood and one natural birch bark moose call was born.  A delicate call because of the thin bark, but it had a good tone.  Back at camp that night while eating dinner, we decided to split up the next day and double our chances of locating some moose.  Dave had the option of where he wanted to go with me heading the opposite direction; the following day would be my choice.  He choose to head down the valley with me going up.

Walt Francis

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
The second hunt day was an early start.  Before eating breakfast, or drinking my mandatory morning coffee Pigger was strung and exercised before leaving camp at first light,.  Enough light for good footing but not light enough to see across the valley.  The plan was to move slowly up the valley calling every quarter mile then waiting for 20-30 minutes for any type of response.  Breakfast and coffee would be prepared when my calling point for the day, a mile and a quarter from camp was reached.  There was a heavy frost, the air crisp, clear, much like hunting the elk back home in Montana. The solitude, being alone, knowing there wouldn't be another hunter around the next bend, that as much as anything, is what had drawn me back to Alaska.  This type of solitude is no longer available back home.  Fifty yards from camp, while crossing a small side creek, a sudden explosion three feet to my left.   The heart jumps, I instinctively reach for the .44 at my side, all in the split second before realizing it is only a grouse.  Getting the heart rate back under control my course angles up and along the side of the hill for another four hundred yards.  The intent is to keep my scent out of the creek bottom leaving it for a moose travel corridor, use the height of the hill so my calls carry farther, and increase my ability to spot and ambush any traveling bull.  

At the first calling point the natural birch bark call is raised and a short cow moose call made. No response.  After five minutes, another call.  Again no response.    Twenty minutes later the toes are getting cold, time to move on.  The same calling sequence is repeated another quarter mile farther, the results are unchanged.  Several more times the natural call is utilized until my destination is reached a couple of hours into the hunt, a little before 9:00.

The predetermined calling point is a rock out cropping that creates on one side a natural funnel, narrowing the valley to several hundred yards and overlooking the creek fifty yards below and distant.  On the other side it creates a saddle between it and mountain that is a natural crossing around seventy five yards wide and twenty yards lower then my current position.

A view of the point from the creek later that week:

Upon arriving at the point my pack is shed, Pigger is unstrung, extra clothing/gear put on, a couple of quick cow calls made.  It is time to settle in, get comfortable, and prepare for a day of calling...and waiting.  The clock is taken out and set on a rock, the stove is removed from its pocket, the canister attached, then lit, the water is heating, alright....coffee in a couple of minutes.

Walt Francis

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
Hold it, what is that sound mixed in with the flame?  The burner is turned off and the hearing slowly becomes re-attuned to the wilderness.  There it is again, a faint glugh, then another, and another.....constantly.... every four or five seconds.  Finally, the direction of the sound is determined; it is coming from the ridge across the valley.  Yes, it is moving down the ridge.  If he follows the ridge he will reach the creek about 3/8 of a mile upstream and downwind from my location; not ideal.  Now the antlers can be seen moving through the birch trees, four hundred yards up the ridge from the creek.  A long, soft, and hopefully enticing, moan is sent through the call.  He stops and looks my direction.  Another call is made.  A turn of 90 degrees and he is headed my direction.

The sound was coming from somewhere near the top of this ridge (Red X).  He turned and started coming towards me at the Blue X, nearly 3/8 of a mile away.  He traveled the distance down the ridge in about two minutes.

Walt Francis

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 05:06:00 PM »
Keep it coming Walt. Great pics and story  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©