3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pigger Went North  (Read 6046 times)

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pigger Went North
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
My silent thoughts are: Holy Crumba, it is actually coming together.   Pigger is strung, options analyzed.  Okay Walt, where is your best chance to get around to the side and get the wind in your favor?  Move quickly, get into position, he is coming fast, already covering half the distance.  A quick dash down the ridge directly towards the bull, if he stays to the creek side the wind is good, in my favor.  If he heads up the side drainage there are two options, either try to stay ahead (probably impossible) or slip on the creek side of the ridge hoping it directs my scent behind him.  Then come in behind him after he passes my scent stream.  A few seconds later the glugh is heading towards the side drainage....I slip down to the creek side and run up stream, hoping for the best.  Fifty yards later I cross back over the ridge and listen.  Nothing.   Thirty seconds later still nothing.  A low moan is released through cupped hands, an immediate glugh responds from seventy yards up the drainage.   He is directly side wind, it worked, Game On!  

The glugh's are constant again, but not moving.  Walt, play it right, make him come to you, sneaking him won't work.  A soft moan followed by two soft glugh's.  The glugh's quicken but do not sound any closer.  Two minutes later another moan and several glugh's, no response.  He has gone quiet.  Wait another couple of minutes and try again. Nothing.  A downed three inch by six foot log spruce tree is grabbed then raked and beaten on a twenty foot birch tree.   An immediate response, the top of a birch tree starts swaying side to side fifty yards away and the antlers can be heard breaking the limbs.  Back away ten yards, a moan, and several low glugh's.  Make him think the bull is moving the cow away.  

Crumb!!!  The wind has shifted; it is now coming off the back of my neck.   A Quick dash downhill hoping he doesn't catch my scent.  Everything goes silent.  A couple of moans....Nothing. A couple more cow moans, still nothing.  Then several hundred yards up the drainage a faint glugh.  He caught my scent, take it easy, don’t chase him out of the drainage, we might be able to work him in a few days.  Back out and let him wonder if he really smelled what he thought.  Make him second guess himself.

Next, the dejected walk back up to the point.  At least I can get some coffee and oatmeal; Small consolation.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Getting close on the second day   :thumbsup:  

:archer2:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Great story so far Walt.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
What an awesome story, keep it coming Walt    ;)    :campfire:    :campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
:campfire:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
Back at the point, a couple of soft moans using the call.  A faint glugh comes from up the side valley.   It is 9:22; the entire encounter lasted about 20 minutes.  Start the stove, the water is warming, once again.  

Now starts what is for me called the Lessons Learned Process, or better known by most, the second guessing. How could the encounter been played different by me?  The beginning, especially the wind, is reviewed, can't see any better way than how it worked out.  It was fortunate the encounter wasn't stopped at that point

another, not quite so faint, glugh from up the side valley.  Let’s play this guy the same as you would a bull elk, let him know, that you know he is there, but you got the woman.  Act as if you don't care, as long as he stays away.  A couple of long soft moans followed by four or five glugh's spaced five seconds apart.

The water is boiling, turn off the stove and pour the water into the waiting cup with the tea type coffee bags.  These bags are a great improvement over the old instant coffee; tastes much better.  Whoever came up with the idea should get the food version of the Nobel Prize.  Swirl the bags, it smells good.

Glugh...glugh....glugh...  That is louder, he is coming back in, probably a hundred yards out now.  He is getting close to the saddle.

Quickly the lid is put on the coffee cup then place an extra cap over it to keep it warm.  Grab Pigger and quickly move down wind and downhill about thirty yards.

Glugh....glugh....glugh....he is on the far edge of the saddle now.

A soft moan and three glugh's, then shift position twenty yards side hill, towards the side valley, setting up between two groups of birch trees.

Glugh....glugh...glugh...  Thirty yards out his antlers are seen moving from right to left above the trees headed along the saddle towards the point.

He enters my shooting lane at thirty yards, too far for me and Pigger, we need him closer.  The arrow has been knocked sometime during my movement, cannot remember when though.  Pigger is raised, tension applied to the string, the bull enters the shooting lane. A single low glugh is made by me.

Glugh...glugh...glugh... He makes a hard left turn, heading directly towards me.  The eyes have taken on the glazed-over look, the body, head, and antlers sway side to side in unison with each step.

CRUMB!  What a stupid mistake!  You idiot!  Placing yourself in the only opening between the bull and the make-believe bull.  Nothing but a frontal shot....you are screwed.

Glugh...glugh...glugh... Twenty yards....fifteen yards.

Hold your ground, do not move until he is within two maybe three yards....make him turn.

Glugh...glugh...glugh...twelve yards...glugh...ten yards...glugh...he veers to his left, my right, between an opening in the trees.

Whew!   CRUMB, have to switch body positions.  Time the movement of the shift with the swaying of his head.  The front right leg moves forward, the head sways left, the feet, body, and bow turn forty five degrees to the right.  He is at eight yards quartered towards me.  Be patient...

Glugh...glugh...he takes another step with the right leg, sways the head left, the feet, body, and bow turn another forty five degrees.

Glugh...glugh...glugh...he is at six yards, still quartered to me and a tree between us.  Pick a spot!  A hair is picked four inches behind the crease, mid body.  At four yards he is broadside....An arrow appears, and then enters the body half an inch from the intended hair.  It looks slightly angled back, penetration is good, about three inches from the fletching; twenty inches total.  Probably hit an off side rib.

All heck breaks loose as the bull veers left and is at a full run downhill.  Several quick cow moans are made and the sound of his footsteps stop.  A couple more soft cow calls then silence for the next minute.  Suddenly there is the sound of trees and limbs breaking, a loud thud accompanied with a grunting moan, then all its quiet.  He is down, give him half an hour just in case.  Though the arrow entered near its mark, its angle of was slightly askew, angling back 5 degrees.   He was too close, four yards is not enough distance for the arrow to have fully recovered from the archers paradox after wrapping around the selfbow without a window.

Wonder if the coffee is still warm?  There might be time for some oatmeal too.  Forty yards later, back at the point, the clock says 9:32.  The coffee is warm and the bags had enough time to saturate the water, it is still hot, it is good....very good.  Life is good for another thirty minutes, and then the work begins.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »
Walt you know how to tell a story! Well done and congrats!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »
Wow, what an experience!  I would like to thank Walt for making me feel like I was in the bush getting ready for the shot of a lifetime at a bull moose at a scant FOUR YARDS!  Thanks Walt and can't wait for some more pics.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
Awesome story, thanks for sharing!

More pics to come .......  I hope
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Excellent!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
Wow I pictured the whole hunt happening like I was there!!!  :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 09:30:00 PM »
Coffee and oatmeal done, the radio is turned on a t 9:55 for my even hour check-in with Dave (At 10-12-2….we turn on our radio and verify the other person is safe and if a critter is down help with the meat can start.).  At 10:00 Dave calls and won’t believe me when told there is a bull down and the packing will start soon.  Anticipation is finally taking over and I set out after the bull.  Twenty yards down the hill from where the shot was taken the feathered half of a broken arrow is found.  Forty yards past that, this:

After two days of packing meat, the final load:

With nearly a mile and one half each way the next two days is a test of stamina for both Dave and me.  It makes one appreciate a good hunting partner.  THANKS DAVE!

Equipment used:
Pigger, my 57# Osage selfbow.  She has taken me on numerous hunts and always came through.  
Seal skin rest from Vermonster 13
Bighorn tip overlays from Doug Campbell or Mark Baker (can't remember which one gave me the pieces used on this bow.)
Bison leather handle wrap.
Fastflight string
Bison Sinew insurance wrap.  A week before leaving i noticed a deep dent on the back of the bow and though I didn't believe it would be an issue it got some wrapping for peace of mind.

Surewood arrows made by Rob DiStefano for St. Jude’s two auctions back.  They have an internal metal footing up front.
145 grain Eclipse broadhead, with the usual bleeder blade left out for better penetration. These broadheads always perform flawlessly, with great results, and have become my go to heads the past several years.
Total weight of the arrows with broadhead is 625 grains.

Walt Francis

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
Man, what a story!  Well told, Walt!  COngratulations on a fine animal!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »
Great moose, pics and story tellin Walt!!  :clapper:    :clapper:  

Sure would like to have one of those coffee bags with ya!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Wow...Wow...Wow!!!!!

Amazing bull Walt and what a heart pounding story!

Well done sir!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
That was GREAT!!! Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing.   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
:notworthy:    :clapper:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
You lived the dream Walt - what an incredible story!!  Outstanding job all the way around, and congratulations on a spectacular animal!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
WOW!!!!!!

Congrats first of all......simply some of the best story telling I've read in a long time. Great pics to accompany a great story.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
You done good buddy, Congratulations!  Can't wait to see them horns in person.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©