3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pigger Went North  (Read 6055 times)

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pigger Went North
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
Walt,

Congratulations! Thanks for the great story and pictures. Planned a similar Alaska moose hunt over twenty years ago with a buddy. He backed out and I didn't want to go alone. Sorry I never made that trip but have no regrets of not doing a solo moose hunt.
Jack Shanks

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
Had me on the edge of my seat.Thanks for sharing and congrats on a beautiful animal.
Leland

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
That's awesome...congrats Walt!!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Great job Walt!!!  Super story also!!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Simply incredible.

Congrats and thanks for the great story telling!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Everybody, glad you enjoyed the read.  One nice thing about taking the time during or shortly after the hunt to write about the adventure, rather game is taken or not, is you get to relive it numerous times.  In addition, every time you re-read it, even decades later, every sentence opens the flood gates to the memories and feeling you had at that time.  It was my pleasure to put on paper; it’s something that should be done much more often.

Thanks Wapiti

Mark & Doug, you guys know are welcome to stop by anytime.  If I know my wife, she is already using this as an excuse to plan a Bar-B-Q with Karen & Penny.

Kibok&Ok, there is not much more to add regarding the equipment; it is mostly fairly generic:
•   Clothing was a mixture of KOM, KUIU, & Sitka
•   I already listed my thought regarding the Kifaru tent
•   I used an insulated air mattress much like the Big Agness, but in a mummy shape, instead of my foam Thermarest.  It worked much better, but being old and fat I am going to splurge on a Big Agness.
•   For packs I used a KUIU 3000 and Dave a Kifaru with the packing shelf.  Overall the KUIU handled the loads more comfortably wit heavier loads.  There are cinch straps everywhere on the KUIU and the loads never moved.  However, the KUIU pack is not intended for the type loads it was subjected to, the frame developed several cracks, the bag ripped at the handle when I lifted it with a ninety pound load, and the stitching started unravel in two places.  The Kifaru fared much better.  Everything being considered, and ignoring cost, I would opt for the KUIU because it is the most comfortable pack and carries the load better than any pack I have used.  Just expect to replace it about every third trip.  Seeing as how my money supply is limited, on my next trip like this the old Army ruck sack will probably be taken.

Rick, regarding a guide, one is not needed for non-residents when hunting for moose, caribou, deer, or black bear.  I hunt wilderness areas in Montana all the time so Alaska does not stretch my comfort zone very far, if at all.  My recommendation is you have some wilderness experience, good woodmanship skills, and most important, the ability to handle the mental side before going to Alaska self guided.   Pick your partners well, I have been lucky in that respect on most every extended hunt I can remember.

Kenny, I would enjoy sharing a fire and some coffee with you if you ever make it out this way.  The fire and coffee is on me if you ever decide to chase the Wapiti.

Hopewell & Kawika, both halves of the arrow are in the quiver.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
Walt, can't imagine the sense of TOTAL satifaction in what you accomplished. I was lucky enough to get a small buck with a Dean Torges selfbow years ago and I was so proud. Your accomplishment is soooo great. I am happy for you.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
Wow, what an adventure!  I was glued to the edge of my chair while that big boy was approaching you.  You have a great story telling ability.  Thanks for sharing your hunt with us!     :clapper:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Congrats and thanks for sharing the story with us.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
Walt what an awesome animal and a great story!  Congratulations sir!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Excellent telling. We were there with you through your writing skills. Thank you Sir and congratulations!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
Thanks for taking us on a great adventure.

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
Good deal Walt, thanks for the info on the Guide situation--again, Awsome Job--Love that Selfbow.
Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2012, 01:25:00 AM »
Your story with the pics and of course the moose, was one of the best I've read to date. Love that country...thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »
Thanks for the story and pics.Congrats on a beautiful bull.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing the story and photos. What a fantastic adventure, and so well written.

:thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline Longbowlogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
Reading this just fuels my fire to be a 100% traditional archer!! What a great hunt and the way you told it made me feel like I was right beside you during all the action!! Congrats on the bull and a awesome hunt!
Big Stick Assassin LB 60" 51@29
Big Stick Assassin LB 62" 60@28
Schafer Silvertip RC 60" 54@28, 57@27, 76@29

PBS Associate member

Online huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
Well done!!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Walt Francis:
Everybody, glad you enjoyed the read.  One nice thing about taking the time during or shortly after the hunt to write about the adventure, rather game is taken or not, is you get to relive it numerous times.  In addition, every time you re-read it, even decades later, every sentence opens the flood gates to the memories and feeling you had at that time.  It was my pleasure to put on paper; it’s something that should be done much more often.

Thanks Wapiti

Mark & Doug, you guys know are welcome to stop by anytime.  If I know my wife, she is already using this as an excuse to plan a Bar-B-Q with Karen & Penny.

Kibok&Ok, there is not much more to add regarding the equipment; it is mostly fairly generic:
•   Clothing was a mixture of KOM, KUIU, & Sitka
•   I already listed my thought regarding the Kifaru tent
•   I used an insulated air mattress much like the Big Agness, but in a mummy shape, instead of my foam Thermarest.  It worked much better, but being old and fat I am going to splurge on a Big Agness.
•   For packs I used a KUIU 3000 and Dave a Kifaru with the packing shelf.  Overall the KUIU handled the loads more comfortably wit heavier loads.  There are cinch straps everywhere on the KUIU and the loads never moved.  However, the KUIU pack is not intended for the type loads it was subjected to, the frame developed several cracks, the bag ripped at the handle when I lifted it with a ninety pound load, and the stitching started unravel in two places.  The Kifaru fared much better.  Everything being considered, and ignoring cost, I would opt for the KUIU because it is the most comfortable pack and carries the load better than any pack I have used.  Just expect to replace it about every third trip.  Seeing as how my money supply is limited, on my next trip like this the old Army ruck sack will probably be taken.

Rick, regarding a guide, one is not needed for non-residents when hunting for moose, caribou, deer, or black bear.  I hunt wilderness areas in Montana all the time so Alaska does not stretch my comfort zone very far, if at all.  My recommendation is you have some wilderness experience, good woodmanship skills, and most important, the ability to handle the mental side before going to Alaska self guided.   Pick your partners well, I have been lucky in that respect on most every extended hunt I can remember.

Kenny, I would enjoy sharing a fire and some coffee with you if you ever make it out this way.  The fire and coffee is on me if you ever decide to chase the Wapiti.

Hopewell & Kawika, both halves of the arrow are in the quiver.
Thanks !
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:    :notworthy:   Awesome
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©