3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Success !!!  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
Success !!!
« on: September 22, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »

Code: [Select]
[IMG]http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad233/jimandsue/DSC00757_zpsdde48fe9.jpg[/IMG]I am home, the meat is cut and wrapped. What a trip. We had a great hunt. I took my wife along to the Bridger Wilderness in Wyoming on my first archery elk hunt. It was a warm and windy week but we were successful. I was lucky to take this bull on the 2nd to last day, in the evening. We was hunting with Bald Mountain Outfitter's out of Pinedale. They run a first class operation, I have taken a bull with them three years prior. The first four days of the hunt had the bulls being very quiet for the most part, they weren't very talkative. That changed a little on the fifth morning.

please do not post images wider than 640
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Success !!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Heck Yeah!!!!!  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
On the fifth morning we had some bulls talk to us and even seen a few from a distance but unseen forces didn't allow us to connect. At lunch, my guide Nicole, asked her husband Aaron if he wanted to take us to one of his "honey holes" in the evening. At 1500 the four of us rode out of camp, Sue and I , Nicole and Aaron, a Wyoming double date.  We rode abd bugled thru a couple promising spots but no action. At about 1650 we bugled and received a faint answer from some real gnarly country to our west.
 I dismounted and got set up with anticipation to have a cow come to Aaron's bugle and lay down in front of me at 30 yds. She rolled around and basically held there watching me. Aaron was signalling me, that I had to move. Finally she looked away for a while and I was able to make my escape. Tyhe bull we had been calling to was getting excited. We traveled about ten yards and there was a spike bull grazing in front of us. We had to get by another sentry. After what seemed to be a lengthy stalk around this guy, we were overlooking a steep draw. Aaron had the bull fired up and he was coming. I needed to lose about fifty feet in elevation and move twenty five yards to the northwest. With my Great Northern Bushbow in my hand and my Arrowmaster slung in front of me. I started the fifty foot verticcal desscent.

Offline roundbal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Congrats!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Kota Prairie Fire 55@28 60"
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 56@28 58"
Treadway Black Swamp 52@28 58"

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
Great job!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
When I reached the bottom. (Finally). I realized I had no shot. .I needed to belly crawl under some burnt and blow down timber to close the distance to the trail I thought he would approach on. After some time and some tricky manuevering I was in a little depression behind some lodgepole looking down the draw, at the ready. Well, I see movemnet and here he comes on the wrong side. On my right I see him approaching, I am on the wrong side of the tree and he is looking right at me. Aaron cow calls and the bull lifts his head to bugle, it gives my a chance to move around the tree and get ready again. The bull follows the trail I am watching but he is in no hurry, I had a shot at thirty yards but I didn't want a quarterin to shot and I thought he was a bit too far. He stopped broadside at what I thought was twenty five yards or so but he was behind some spruces. Only his shoulder was visible. He was leaning forward and back, barking and bugling.. I would draw and then have to let down because he wouldn't move that shoulder forward. Finally he took a step with his far side (right) leg and I thought whne he moves forward again this is my chance. He did lean forward to bugle, the shoulder cleared the opening and sometime after that I saw the arrow bury in him. He raised his head, took a few steps forward very calmly, looked around walked up a five foot rise in the terrain. At hgis point I could see blood pumping out his side where the three-blade VPA entered. He wheezed and I saw blood come out his mouth and nostrils. He turned away from me and walked two more steps and collapsed. I broke cover and sigalled Aaron that he was down. We shook hands and went and got the girls. What a hunt.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Congrats on your elk. Thanks for the report and the photo. Loved seeing the photo.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline bogeyrider63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
congrats, way to get it done.

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »
Outstanding!!!
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Thats really a great picture !!! Congrats..

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
Wow, Good on ya!!

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Congrats
I love Bow Hunting

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Congrats!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Heck yeah!
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
Awesome!!! congratulations!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Thanks forsharing your hunt with us and thats getting it done.

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Congratulations!
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
WOW
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 11:06:00 AM »
Good for you  :thumbsup:  
Great smiles the both of you.
...Mark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©