3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow sights  (Read 718 times)

Offline gobbler716

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow sights
« on: September 22, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
I know we are supposed to be experts at gap shooting and instinctive.  BUT, how many of you do use sights (for hunting) on your bow?  What kind? Why?   :bigsmyl:
To err is human, so keep practicing!

Offline erictetterton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow sights
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
I went to the trad bow to get away from all the fancy gadgets. I see no need for sights on a trad bow. Just stick and string and good times. People get too analytical when they start putting sights on a bow and they start trying to come up with all this fancy algebra for each shot presented. Who has time for all that? I sure dont. Just have fun
Javaman Falcon 45@30
BW KBX 60” 45@30
BW PLX 64” 50@30

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 05:27:00 PM »
I took a few shots with a fellows  three piece takedown from Three Rivers that had the shaped peep style on it.  I hate to admit it, but that set up works.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Sights on traditional bows have been around for a long long while... longer than most of the naysayers... do a search (Google) and a few will pop up. Don't let other beliefs deter you.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
I started out shooting Barebow when I was a Wee Lad, then the "Wheelie Gremlin"  :scared:   got me..... as it has most of us at one time or another.  :saywhat:  
   I agree with eric, too many gadgets & doo-dads that can get knocked outta' whack by looking at them wrong, or so it seems.  :rolleyes:    :wavey:   I wont Dog you about it, just isnt in the cards  for me!  :deadhorse:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
I joined an archery club in 1970, there were two classes back then. Bare bow and sights. Sights have been on stick bows for years. Seems like the newer generation of trad guys think sights don't belong on stick bows. I don't use sights on my bows, but you can shoot your bows however you want.

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 05:41:00 PM »
My first sight pin was a toothpick superglued to the bottom of my upper limb. It worked, but now I shoot instinctive.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
There was this Jack Howard guy who used a sight on his hunting bows... stir on that tidbit of info for a while should you start to think that pursuing the use of a sight may not be worth the while... Mr.Lamb states a "zero" loss from wounding record for Mr.Jack Howard who also built one helluva nice looking bow to boot.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nomansland4404

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
Never understood why someone would want to shoot traditional and then put a sight or other gadgets on it. Instinctive here!!

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Being an "old guy" I have to say that back when there were no compounds, most guys in my area used sights. Many used releases! I do not understand why anyone says sights are not "trad". We have accepted new string materials, aluminum and carbon arrows but sights are not "trad".......I guess it is how you grew up in archery and maybe it is an "age thing".
John

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Sights or no sights....doesn't matter to me. Go for it if you think it'll help. However, the most important thing is to have good form to shoot well regardless of your aiming system.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Double post

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Right on Scout. Old guy here too:) Back when you and I started shooting bows, there was no traditional term, it was just archery. Traditional came about after the wheel bows hit the scene. I would say in the 1970's it was about 50/50 barebow and sights. And in the 70's I seen more than one perfect score on a 300 round.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Yep,  I've been shooting sticks for more than 50 years.  Back in the day, sights were fairly common. I don't use sights, but there's little doubt they can improve accuracy at known distances.  Shoot what you can hit with.  BTW, gap shooting is sight shooting.  The archer is just using the tip of the arrow as a sight rather than a sight pin.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I first learned archery with a Bear Cub and a single brass pin sight.  You had to still go through all the form development to make it work just like with barebow.  

It is not a crutch to use a sight as Howard Hill thought.  Sometimes barebow can be too much of a challenge for someone who does not possess Howard Hill's amazing skill.  Using a sight is  simply another method of delivering an arrow accurately.  Pure gap shooting uses the arrow as a sight more or less.  Some call it a reference point.  Depends on how you look at it really.  Pure gap shooting will only work when distance is known just the same when using sights.

I think to keep things simple, it would be nice to mount a sight to Kwikee Kwiver inserts in the riser of the bow if your bow has them.  This makes it reversible without permanently altereing the bow.

The SRF sight from 3 Rivers claims it incorporates instinctive shooting into the use of the sight itself.  That seems counterintuitive to me but upon reading up about it, the sight does more accurately resemble the process of learning gap shooting. Which makes more sense to me.
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
Sights are just fine.  

I used to use one on my Black Widow recurve.  I started gap shooting when I got my longbow about 2 years ago, and now went completely to gap shooting on all my bows.  For some reason, it just fits me better to gap shoot.  

But if using a sight makes you a more responsible trad shooter when releasing an arrow at an animal, then use it.  

After all, shooting with a "gap" mentality is just a different type of sighting technique.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Gap shooting IS shooting with a sight -- the tip of the arrow. Nothing wrong with that. Or with string walking. I shoot instinctively, but that's not for everyone. I admire anyone who takes to the woods armed with only a trad bow and arrows. It's tough enough no matter how you take aim.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
I don't use them .....but sights are more traditional than compounds.     :readit:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline gobbler716

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 07:15:00 PM »
I was thinking of the sight that 3Rivers sells.  My collection has 5 recurves and my intent was for one of them......Thanks for all the input, you guys are great!
To err is human, so keep practicing!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
If it works for you go for it. I'm not sure that a sight on a recurve or longbow is all that helpfull. In my opinion it is not the sight pins on the compound that are the advantage. It is all the other things that take the human element out. But then again I have not shot an arrow from a compound in nearly twenty years so I can't really say I know what I'm talking about.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©