3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2012 Speed Goat  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
2012 Speed Goat
« on: September 22, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »
First off I gotta say spot and stalk antelope with a  longbow has got to be one of my favorite things to do. But at the same time it can be one of the most frustrating things you can do with a longbow...   ;)   The past couple weeks has been more in line with the frustrating end of the scale.  Like much of the rest  of the country we are experiencing some very dry conditions here in MT.  This makes for some pretty noisy and tough stalking conditions thus I resorted to a few days of water hole sitting which proved to be even more frustrating than the stalking...   ;)  

In the past couple weeks I've probably had 20 antelope under 20 yards and until yesterday morning hadn't even gotten off a shot.  I wasn't being picky in the least with antelope being our favorite wild game meat I sure do my best to put some in the freezer every year.  I had one any sex and another doe only tag in my pocket so I was planning to shoot the first goat that volunteered.  The stars just would not line up for me, every time things seemed right something would go wrong or it just didn't feel right.  

I find it pretty much impossible to sit in a blind without having all the windows open, which kinda defeats the purpose.  I figured out I could use the willow brush that typically grows around some of our stock water holes by standing a ladder stand in amongst them and wrapping a strap around several of the spindly stems to bunch them together.  You have to be very still since your only 6 – 8 feet off the ground but when the goats get close in they just don't seem to look up.  I've killed a few this way but sitting in the open in 80 degree temps and the sun beating down on you aint real fun in my book so usually a few hours is my limit then I go to glassing for something stalkable.

Like I said earlier popcorn dry conditions this year was making it tough to get close to anything so I decided after working my tail off all week chasing antelope I decided to give them a day off yesterday.  I was up early and on the mountain before first light where I'd seen a small group of elk the morning before hoping to maybe sneak in and fill my bonus cow permit.  Two hours of fruitless listening and glassing later I hiked back out to my truck to check another spot a few miles away.  

The first thing on getting there I spotted a pack of seven bedded wolves in a very stalkable location.  I've been watching and playing with these things for several year and the Montana FWP in it's infinite wisdom finally decided to allow us to hunt them in the early season this fall.  One of the furry critters is high on my priority list to skewer with an arrow so I made a two mile circle to get “things right”.  All seven wolves were laying within a 50 foot circle in a little depression with plenty of cover for me to slip in close which as you can imagine just doesn't happen very often.  Now these things had been lying there quietly since I'd first spotted them but when I get to about 70 yards one of them decided he was bored or something and started to move off to my left.  It wasn't long till the whole bunch was up and after a little milling around all headed up over the hill out of my life for the day at least.  

Well with it being nearly eleven and getting hotter by the minute I started the long hike back to the house and some lunch.  As I came over the last rise I bumped a good bunch of antelope with several young bucks harassing the does and the herd buck doing his best to keep the ladies bunch and the little guys at bay.  Of course I spooked them and they dumped over a little ridge into the next draw where I could see the most likely exit but they never came out.  I moved up thru a few scattered chokecherry bushes till I could look into the draw and there were the whole bunch a hundred yards away pretty much stalled out but still with a bunch of chasing going on.  I eased along behind the ridge getting within about 70 yards till I ran out of cover then just hunkered down to see what happened next...

After nearly an hour of being entertained by the show the does had about had enough and were really trying to break away in all directions, one came tearing by below me at 40 yards or so.  There was nothing but air between me and her that direction so I kept my face down and tried to melt into the small chokecherry bush.  She was by 50 yards or so and I hear more hooves pounding my direction.  I turn my head slightly that way and sure enough here comes the herd buck charging right down on me.  I hold still till he's only ten yards away then swing up drawing at the same time.  He looks like he's traveling 50 mph, when he hits just a couple steps away I've reached full draw and am pointing somewhere in his general direction thinking, “man I'm going to have to lead him a bunch”. Suddenly like I know many of you have experienced the fletched end of my arrow was just there protruding from his chest just inside the front point of his shoulder.  I marveled at making the shot as I watched him gradually slow and finally the heart shot buck stopped 60 yards away.  Within a few seconds his back end collapsed and he was down and my 2012 Antelope buck tag was filled.  

He wasn't a real big buck but pretty typical for this area and I was tickled to death with him.  It was a short ¼ mile walk to the house to gather up the wife and truck.  We made a quick job of the photo session and field dressing since the temps were climbing upwards of 80 degrees.  He's in the cooler now and I've still got a pocket full of permits needing attention so life is good.  

I was shooting my Toelke Whip @60ish#, AD Trads and 160 Grizzly heads. Thanks for following along.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2012 Speed Goat
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
Great story, great goat Doug!!!!

Congrats !!!

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Nice!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Wow Doug, you're really having your way with the Montana wildlife!  Congratulations on yet another fine animal.  You'll be eatin good this winter!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
Great story Doug and nice shot also...Congratulations..  :clapper:

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Nice.  thanks for the details
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Congrats Doug!!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
Congratulations Doug.
Antelope with a bow is a nice bit of hunting.
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
Congratulations, Doug!...great story and pic!

:thumbsup:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
Excellent!!

Congrats Doug.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Congrats.

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
congratts!  :thumbsup:

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »
Way to go Doug!!

Congrats again and the Montana life does sound wonderful!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :archer2:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 08:10:00 PM »
Well done buddy!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Doug, for being hurt and recovering, sir you're having an impressive season!  Congratulations   :thumbsup:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Great going Doug and way to keep up after them.  Good things happen to good people.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Now that's something! Congrates!!!

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Great shot and a fine Antelope.Congratulations

Offline Bernie B.