3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Straightening wood arrows  (Read 764 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Straightening wood arrows
« on: January 17, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
Is this a learned skill? I just can't seem to get all the wobble out. When I put them on a broadhead aligner the nock rotates about 1/8" up and down at the most. Is that acceptable? Of course, perfect is perfectly straight....
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Straightening wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
Check your nock taper and be sure it's straight. An uneven taper will cause the wobble.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
1/8" is a bit much. Realistically, you will rarely get a shaft that rolls perfectly smooth like an aluminum shaft - that's just the nature of the material. However, I can get them pretty straight with the hand straightening process. I've tried most of the gadgets, and this simply works the best for me, but it takes some practice. It also helps to purchase good quaility shafts, either unfinished or finished arrows, that come pretty straight. If I get a shaft that is really out of wack, I will rarely get it to stay straight.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
Snag:
Use some heat, a eletric stove will work or a heat gun, then sight down the shaft and locate the bend and bend the other direction. It is an aquired skill, however it does work quite well. Also I'm with Pat. it might be your  POINT taper, look at the taper where it meets the body of the shaft, it should forma ring 90 degrees to the axis of the shaft all the way around, if it dips off one to one side the taper is crooked.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©