3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Next week he becomes a deer hunter....he did it again!!! Update pg.33...  (Read 13241 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Next week he becomes a deer hunter....he did it again!!! Update pg.33...
« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
10/13/12...AM

What a morning.....so action packed I'll do my best to keep it short, but sweet!

Cold!!!  I mean cold...28 degrees, and with the first frost of the fall, the kind of morning you just "know" it's gonna be good!

As mentioned in my last update on Fri., Cade decided to try for a turkey. But the best part about this spot is that it's also a great place to kill a deer out of the blind. Last year, the first 2 times I hunted turks there, I had 3 bucks(including a giant 8pt) and a couple does pass through. But until this year, our season didn't open till mid-October. This year that all changed with out Oct. 1st opener....deer were now fair game...adding to the allure of this spot!

We were set-up right in the same spot I've killed fall birds in the past before daylight...organized, string tracker attached, and ready to go.

The spot is a corner of the orchard where the farmer has pushed up a huge brush line of old trees. It almost forces the deer to enter/exit the woods on a old atv trail that was only 12yds. away from us.It also makes a great backround for the blind the way the deer usually come from....especially in low light.

We were just sitting enjoying each other company then I look up the hill in the orchard and see a deer coming....and I can immediately tell from the big body and how it's walking, it's a buck!

I tell Cade, he sees it and grabs his bow out of the holder while I look through my Leica's and see it's not only a buck...but a real nice buck! From my quick peek I could tell he was at least an 8pt, but I honestly thought he was more!!!!

He's closing fast walking at a brisk pace just like a buck that's late to get back to bed would, coming straight to us down the hill at us....

"This is all happening way to fast", is what I'm thinking....

Just as he's about to make a sharp right turn to go into the atv trail, he takes a step or 2 to the left which gives him enough room when he turn right, to get broadside for us, then in two steps turns right to go into the trail.....I stop him just before he's about to enter the wood line....

.....I notice Cade draw.....everything seemed to just stop......

He releases and like an orange lazer with a white tracer behind it....I see it go right over the heavy bucks shoulders!  I immediately excitedly whispered, "just over his back"!!!!!!!

At the shot the buck whirled toward us, turned 180, which put the string around his neck, and took off back up the hill, running like the "boogy man" had a hold of him!!!

My first reaction was to hold the line and break it so it wouldn't pull the whole spool out, but a split second later just as I was about to grab it I thought.....well maybe my eyes deceived me, and the arrow was indeed in the deer....the string was absolutely screaming out of the spool!

With the string going out Cade was thinking maybe he did hit him....but soon the 2500ft of line was coming to an end and with a "pop"...the end of the spool, with label attached came out and danced away........

Strike one!!!

Needless to say there was a lot of whispering going on for the next few minutes.......

With the spool in his tracker done, I took my tracker out of my pack and attached to to Cade's bow and got another arrow ready.....

He was disappointed he missed, but I told him no big deal, it's not over yet....

To be honest, after a bit, his spirits were recovered enough that we shared a good laugh about the shot...we've all been there!

Shorty after he shot at the buck, the turkey's began to tree call....I called back....they answered and we were "in the chips"!!!!  They flew down on the other side of the creek, but I was confident with some calling they'd come for a visit....

A half hour later Cade excitedly whispers...."DEER"!!!!!!

Here comes a doe with two big fawns in tow!

When the doe got to about 40yds, and downwind of where the buck had dragged Cade's arrow to, she stiffened up....then noticed the blind!
•  
•  

In this pic you can see the string in the backround....
•  

Knowing we only had one tracker spool left for the turkeys that seemed to be getting closer....I reached up and cut the string in his Zwickey Eskilite....no need for any extra noise when shooting at a very "aware" deer!

She really wanted to come down and enter the woods on the atv trail, but between what she saw and smelling the arrow and probably the string that was on the ground...she would come in, then walk back....she repeated this a couple times....

Then her curiosity got the best of her and she closed to 15yds. and went broadside....

I had whispered earlier to Cade.... "aim right at the bottom of her body"...figuring she'd drop.

He drew....shot.....she dropped......and his arrow sailed right over her back!!!!  Dang it!!!!!

I would later ask Cade where he'd "picked his spot"???  He said..."the normal spot"....I guess I was whispering so low, he'd never heard me when I said to aim at the bottom of her bodyline.....

Strike 2!!!!

We joked as we readied his last broadhead arrow in his quiver with the tracking string about it being his last bullet....make it count!

He said..."maybe the 3rd time will be the charm"...

Now the whole time this was going on with the doe, we could hear the turkeys and could tell they had flown back to our side of the creek.

I looked to my right and turkey stepped out of the woods, and, we still hear some behind us!
 He grabbed his bow out of it's holder again!!!

The bird to our right was 70 or so yards away, but the ones behind us were close. From past experience, when they are behind the blind, they come out right on the atv trail....Cade was ready to make this one count!!

With the help of the rays of sunlight casting shadows...we could see that a turkey was coming out of the trail......seconds later a hen stepped out and stood at 12yds......Cade draws and shoots a beautiful arrow............
.right over her back!!!!!!  Dang it again!!!!!!

He was out of bullets!!!!!!

The only arrow that remained in his quiver had a small game thumper on it....
•  
•  

Time to collect the arrows and string. Here he is showing me how the turkey stood for the shot...
•  

And where the buck stood earlier...same spot...
•  

The set-up....
•  

more pix to come....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: October 14, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
Moments that neither one of you will ever forget!!!!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: October 14, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline emfunk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: October 14, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
Guru, I want to thank you for allowing us to tag along with you and cade on your adventures. As a father of two young boys 3,1.5 I can't wait to get them in the field as you have with cade. Keep the stories and pictures a coming, and good luck this season.
"Go afield with a good attitude, and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk"- Fred Bear

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: October 14, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
Doe arrow...
•  

Turkey arrow...
•  

Buck arrow....
•  
•  

The "carnage"...
•  

Heavy frost....
•  

Cade wanted to follow the string to see where he went.  I had to collect the 2500ft of line anyway so off we went...
•  
•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
All packed up and headed for the truck...
•  

Cade's spirits are high, and now he's more determined than ever to  make one count!!!

What an awesome experience for us to share, way better than I could ever have imagined!!!!!

No, we didn't bring anything home with us physically....but what memories of this morning we'll carry forever....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
That will be a mourning you'll never forget   :campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: October 14, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
What a great way to spend a morning!

:clapper:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: October 14, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
I still have fond memories of the many "opportunities" of my early years bowhunting......opportunities that ended exactly the same way.....over their backs!  Lessons Learned for another day!!!

Keep at it Cade.....your "day" is coming soon!

Can you think of a better way to spend a nice cold morning?

Thanks for sharing with us!

:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: October 14, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
What an exciting morning!  A lot of memories for sure!  Great pictures and story as always!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »
Man I was on the edge of my seat reading this hoping Cade would connect! Thanks for sharing and hang in there Cade its gonna happen soon enough for sure! Thanks for sharing curt!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: October 14, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
LOL…. Doe, Buck and Turkey arrow ! Why to go Cade, someday there will be something attached to the end of the string   :bigsmyl:  

Curt,

Cherish these moments as they sure do grow up fast. The guy in my avatar is my youngest son, who is now thirty-two and who has been hunting with me ever since he was three years old. My son has twin, twelve year old boys and I really enjoy those moments afield with them... how time flys.
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: October 14, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
Nice !!
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: October 14, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
Awesome Bro!  
Cade, even the boys in Hawaii are talking about you!!!  We're all rooting for you buddy!

Story remind me of the first time I took Staci hunting for goats with a stickbow.

Thanks for sharing!  You guys make awesome team!

Aloha!
Ryan

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: October 14, 2012, 02:02:00 PM »
The misses make the hits sweeter young man!   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: October 14, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
:jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: October 14, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
:archer:
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: October 14, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
What an exciting morning!  Awesome hunt guys! You keep at em Cade it's going to happen soon enough. Knowing your dad and turkeys he will have plenty more of them in front of you in the days to come. Keep shooting and good luck!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: October 14, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Cade count your blessings young man as there are adults out here who would love to had an opportunity to shoot just one arrow at either of your 3 intended targets.

:archer:  

PS: I have a feeling that your connection is coming and soon.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
You'll get it bud!  You had a morning many of us can only dream of.

Think of it as getting all the "misses" out of the way.  Now you're good for a couple dead critters....
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©