3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Next week he becomes a deer hunter....he did it again!!! Update pg.33...  (Read 13202 times)

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Next week he becomes a deer hunter....he did it again!!! Update pg.33...
« Reply #380 on: October 31, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
This is awful... Charlie Lamb, I blame you!
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Arraflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #381 on: October 31, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »
Maybe they're negotiating the rights for a new reality series on the Outdoor Channel !!! Never know these days    :bigsmyl:
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one,you won't be needing one again

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #382 on: October 31, 2012, 02:45:00 PM »
:campfire:
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #383 on: October 31, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
Curt, are you sure you're not a women????? Come on bring it!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #384 on: October 31, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Been following this post since day one without a comment. Great job Curt. Cade is a lucky young man to have a dad like you; course he already knows that; "I love you daddy"; Sweeter words have never been spoken. Enjoy the journey.   :thumbsup:

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #385 on: October 31, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bill Turner:
Been following this post since day one without a comment. Great job Curt. Cade is a lucky young man to have a dad like you; course he already knows that; "I love you daddy"; Sweeter words have never been spoken. Enjoy the journey.    :thumbsup:  
X2

:campfire:
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #386 on: October 31, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Can't wait my 17 year old killed his first traditional deer two years ago. I'm convinced I was more excited than he was!
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #387 on: October 31, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
Maybe this story is going to the publisher 1st...lol

:campfire:     :archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline graybark uk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #388 on: October 31, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
i think this story will be worth the wait   :campfire:  unless charlie`s right   :biglaugh:
bowhunting isn`t a bloodsport. its in the blood

hoyt buffalo 55@28/ 56@28{border hex 6.5 limbs }
stalker coyote fxt 62" 52@28

Offline NO SIGHTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #389 on: October 31, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
It appears theres news to come boys!

Get ready!
I hunt just like the men who walked the trail of tears.

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #390 on: October 31, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
The suspense is killing me.

Online Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #391 on: October 31, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
If you are still checking here for "the rest of the story," it looks like Curt started a new thread to tell us about Cade's achievement:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=122346

The title is: "He made this one count!"
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #392 on: October 31, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Thanx fellas....ok, here we go....

I was off of work because of Sandy, we were lucky, but others weren't so lucky.  Cade was also off of school for the 2nd day in a row as well.

By yesterday afternoon the rain had stopped with the exception of an occasional very light drizzle. I figured with the storm having the critters laying low for over a day....they'd probably be moving pretty good.

The wind was still blowing more than usual, but it was in a steady direction, and nowhere near like it had been a day earlier....that was truly scary!

We decided to hit the low stand that I'd set about a week and a half earlier...
•    
•    
•    

As seen in the pix, this stand was very low to take advantage of the available cover. I would carry in my old Staghorn Hiker lok on to attach it to the other trunk next to the ladder.

We park quite a ways away from the part of the orchard we were hunting. After we got there we went through the routine that I'm passing on to Cade....we don't wear any of our hunting clothing in the truck or anyplace else. Packs, harness, and clothing all travels in our HS Scent-Safe bags. Boots travel in plastic bags and are only worn while hunting.

I got dressed, strapped my pack to the stand and slung it on my back.  Then, like usual, went to the other side of the truck to help Cade....he's learning.....

We carefully picked a route through the orchard that I though would be optimal for how I thought the deer would move, and were soon at the base of the ladderstand.  I went up and locked the Staghorn on the other trunk.  Cade went up and got into the Staghorn, then I climbed up and just sat on the ladderstand. I left my bow on the ground....

We settled in and soon Cade was busy on his Ipod...
•    

As you can see in the pix, things looked very different now. A lot of our leaf cover was now on the ground. But I was still confident we'd be fine if something showed up, and I liked the fact we could see a lot better all around us.
•    
•    

We glimpsed two deer back in the heavy cover, but they seemed to be headed away from us, and were quickly out of site.  

The deer were up and moving early just as I'd hoped!

A bit later I looked into the woods behind us and caught some movement....turkeys...and they were headed our way!

Cade slowly got his Lil' Slammer in his hand and slowly got into position to shoot just in case they came into the orchard "close enough"....

Before we knew it, the lead bird, a jake...had popped out at about 15yds and stopped to scan the orchard. I saw Cade "ooozing" the string back......

With a slight twang the arrow was away....he missed just high!

Funny thing is, the birds hardly even noticed something was "wrong"....he nocked another arrow as the birds that were out in the orchard slowly moved off....but others were still coming!

Minutes later another came out just a bit further than the first. Cade drew again as the bird walked out.....another one just a bit high and in the dirt!!

Laughing(I couldn't help myself), I told him... "that's enough bud, you only have one broadhead arrow left, we need to save it for a deer"....not sure why I found it funny that he missed twice....but I know it's very easy to do with turks, I've been there!!!
•    
•    

So with his last arrow nocked deer started popping out into the orchard to the north of us about 50yds as the light started to fade fast.

They weren't coming our way, instead heading further out into the orchard, and downwind of our set-up.

Then, Cade says to me....."Daddy....deer right there"!

I looked back to the south and saw a big doe standing about 30yds away out in the orchard!

Then I noticed a smalled doe out in front of her...

The bigger doe was very cautious, and I could tell she knew something wasn't "right"....she looked to turn away and go back into the woods....but the smaller doe stayed out and got curious!!!

You know what they say about curiosity and the cat....well obviously this deer didn't know the story and it started to come closer to "investigate"....I held my breath......

Just like does do a lot, she knew "something" was there, but was cautiously coming in to find "it"...25yds.....20yds.....15yds....oh my gosh this might happen!

I was whispering to Cade to....."be patient, and let her get as close as possible".....10yds....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #393 on: October 31, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
By now it very last shooting light, and this deer was right in Cade's "money shot" range....something had to "give"...and soon!

She turned right.....I whispered "shoot"....but I don't think it was necessary....Cade was already starting to draw.....the Lil' Slammer "Guapo" arched to fully loaded and with a dull twang the arrow sprung from Cade's hand like an orange missile.....I was concentrating on the deer....

I barely saw the arrow, but knew by the sound, and by the reaction of the deer.....Cade had made a solid hit....but I honestly didn't know where he'd hit it....

At impact, the deer buckled, tucked it's tail and took off in a low run......"you hit her Cade, but I couldn't tell where"!!!!!

To that he answered...."I hit her real good Daddy!  It looked almost perfect!  I know it was in the chest! Oh my god daddy, oh my god daddy!!!!"

The deer hit the woods with a crash, and almost instantly everything went silent.....

With that I about lost it.....I was shaking so bad, I was glad I was sitting down!

I asked Cade a couple more time if he was sure what he saw? He even said one time that if it wasn't in the lungs, he was for sure in the liver, but was 99% sure he'd hit the lungs. He was convinced he'd made a good shot....and he'd convinced me now as well.  We were excited beyond words....but it would get even better.

We sat for a while and laughed at each other as we watched each other shake so bad....amazing!

After we calmed down enough, maybe 15minutes after the shot, we climbed down and as quietly as possible packed up. Then I went out into the orchard to check the spot of the shot....
•    

Instant blood!   Oh my!!!!

To help us wait a bit more we walked back to the truck to move it a little closer.

Soon we were back....maybe a half hour since the shot.....we started along the trail.....5yds into it....
•    

About 20yds. into it....
•    

The blood was there, but not exactly gushing out.  Cade was shooting a little 2 blade, and I'm used to seeing bloodtrails from my deer after I put a big 3 blade through them....I hoped this perceived..."lack of blood" was just a product of his equipment....we followed along and after about 30yds we hit the edge of the woods were she entered...again, there was blood, but not a lot...we continued into the woods....

It was slow going, but 20yds into the woods my Wensel Bros. Main Beam light hit something bright orange....the arrow!!!!

It had blood broadhead to nock with blood soaked feathers!
•    

But to be honest, it looked more "livery" than  lung.  But we still had blood, Cade had me convinced the shot was good, we still had blood......so we continued....at this point we were about 50yds into the trail.....

Another slow 20yds Cade was getting worried, and honestly, I was too a bit.  I explained to him how easy it is to miss things at night with only the help of a flashlight......"we'll try a little bit more, but if we don't find it soon, we'll have to back out and I'll come back in the morning".....I really didn't want to have to do that!

He understood as the blood was getting real hard to follow.  Another tough 20yds and we'd lost the blood again.....we both searched close to the last drop found.  Cade was about 5yds. to my right with his head down looking....I swept my flashlight beam forward and caught "something"....

My heart jumped into my throat as I got my binos up and lined up my flashlight.....white belly, dead deer!!!!!!!  OMG!!!!!

As calmly as I could, I whispered to Cade that I'd found blood, and he needed to come over....

He said..... "where daddy"... I said right here, and I think there's some more up ahead.....he looked up, I lined my flashlight up and he saw "his deer"!!!!!

I'll never be able to put this part into words...
he about knocked me over as he jumped up to hug me tighter than he ever has!  He kept repeating...."we did it daddy, we did it daddy"....an unbelievable, indescribable feeling for us!   Somehow I kept the tears back!

We started toward the deer....
•    

I don't know how many times we hugged, kissed, and told each other how much we loved the other....he'd done it!

As soon as we walked up to it, we could see that he'd hit it a bit higher than he thought....and when we rolled her over we could see the had re-directed back a bit and exited back slightly and was clogged with fat.....

High entrance, clogged exit....that explained the lack of blood....

We dragged her out to the orchard for pix....

Not a happier boy on the face of the earth last night!!!
•    
•    
•    
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #394 on: October 31, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
•  

"Proud" doesn't even come close...
•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline KevO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #395 on: October 31, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #396 on: October 31, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
:clapper:  
Way to go, love that smile !

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #397 on: October 31, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #398 on: October 31, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
Congratulations to you Cade! The smiles say it all!

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #399 on: October 31, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Awesome Story!  Congratulations!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©