3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Next week he becomes a deer hunter....he did it again!!! Update pg.33...  (Read 13198 times)

Offline Piper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Next week he becomes a deer hunter....he did it again!!! Update pg.33...
« Reply #440 on: November 01, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Well done lads.....a moment for ever
My two cents worth

Gary

Offline Piper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #441 on: November 01, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Well done lads.....a moment for ever
My two cents worth

Gary

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #442 on: November 01, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
Congrats Cade, what a GREAT first deer!!! What a great thread Curt, and as always thanks for taking the "GANG" along in your journey with Cade.  :clapper:
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hammer08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #443 on: November 02, 2012, 03:15:00 AM »
Congratulations to both of you! This thread has made me smile every step of the way.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #444 on: November 03, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
Excellent!
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #445 on: November 04, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations - great job Cade great job Guru - you guys are what dedicated bowhunting is all about. May the blessings continue.
<><
<-------------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #446 on: November 04, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Still more to come, The boy is on Fire!!!   :campfire:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #447 on: November 04, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Awesome job Cade!!!
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Offline Yankee Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #448 on: November 04, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ed:
Still more to come, The boy is on Fire!!!     :bigsmyl:      :campfire:      :coffee:

Offline Buckskin57

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #449 on: November 04, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Great Hunt,Congrats Cade and Dad.Those Turks do get small.Great story,THANKS.
JEREMIAH 16:16 / BEAR SUPER KODIAK /GRAYLING GREEN.

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #450 on: November 04, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
What a story. Congratulations to both! Doesn't get any better.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #451 on: November 04, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
Congrats Cade! Good job Curt.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #452 on: November 04, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Critters are still fallin.   :saywhat:

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #453 on: November 04, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
He's taking after his Dad Izzy, he can't kill just one.......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Online 3dmuzzy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #454 on: November 04, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
Curt,Congrats to both of you job well done the smile on cades face says it all  just great....ED
Put some air under it.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #455 on: November 04, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
NICE!!!!!!!!!!! That is a perfect deer to start a hunting career with. Great shot. I'm proud of both of you.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #456 on: November 04, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
He did it again!!!

Still can't believe it, a morning I'll never, ever forget as long as I live!

Last night, with the predicted NNW wind, I left it up to Cade to choose where we should hunt.  I had it narrowed to 2 stands....The Ant Tree(which I have an experience from last weekend to tell about someday soon), or Grandpa's Stand....

....He quickly chose Grandpa's Stand....which really was a great choice, as it had not been hunted at all yet.

It's a stand that is literally 150yds from my mom and dads house. I set a small ladderstand there a few years ago so dad can come and go as he pleases.

This year, knowing Cade would be hunting, I switched it from the small single man stand, to a 2 man ladderstand. I wanted him to hunt with his grandpa, or we could share it as well.

Setting that 2 man stand by myself back in Sept. was and probably will always be the single hardest stand set I've ever done!!

Dad said he would help, but had to go take care of something first...I told him I was just going to carry it in, leave it till he could help me....and get the small one out.  Well, I was hardheaded and stubborn enough to believe I could do it myself......I did it, BUT I'LL NEVER DO IT AGAIN!!!!!

So we pulled into my parents place, and went through the routine of putting on our hunting clothes outside of the truck....all set....we walked the short distance to the stand nice and quiet.

I climbed first, got hooked in, got his harness belt around the tree for him.....and up he came...

I hooked him up to his belt, and we readied ourselves.  All set he asked to pull his bow back a few times....and he did....all good.

It was barely getting light now, so after he warmed up a bit, it was my turn to pull back a few times.  I did twice, and was about to hang my bow back up when Cade sharply whispers...."DEER"!

They had gotten tight on us already...he could see them, I couldn't....he slowly stood and got his bow in his hand.

My low light vision isn't what it was once, and hunting with Cade this year has really made that clear....he has amazing young eyes!

I finally did see the first one move about 20yds in front of us, soon I saw the second one....

When we got into the stand, I decided I would cover the left side, he would cover the right(looking out). The right side would be an easier shot since we are both lefties.

So there we were not knowing which way the deer would go.....

Cade could see two more deer behind the 2 that were in front of us...but I couldn't see them because of the foliage.

These deer were in no hurry, it was cold too, about 32 degrees...so after about 10 minutes of holding his bow Cade whispered that his hands were getting cold!  So were mine!

But the deer were headed for his side, and it was now light enough to shoot.

Little by little, they got closer and more to the right....this just might happen!!!

The second deer was bigger than the first, so as the first deer worked into shooting position, Cade decided to "roll the dice", he'd try for the bigger one that was in front of us, close enough, but not broadside....the other one walked away....

The deer in front of us, turned, and started the way the first one went....this was getting very tense to say the least!!!

This deer knew something wasn't "right", it was acting much more wary than the first....lifting it's nose catching some of our scent, but not figuring out where we were.

Now it's 12yds away, quartering toward us....and it looks right at us!!

This whole time I'm right over Cade's shoulder whispering advice whenever I thought necessary.

The deer really got interested in the giant "blob" in the trees....head bob, foot stomp....a couple minutes more and it finally starts moving away again following the same path as the first...

It stops, broadside at 12yds, but it's near leg was back.....I whispered to Cade...."wait!"

It started walking again, but very,very slowly....I whispered..."shoot"......

Now if I was ever given a choice in my life to only remember one arrow I ever saw shot...it would be this arrow Cade was about to release.......

Remember now...I'm right over his shoulder...looking right down his arrow....just like this(the deer had just crossed over the log when he shot)...
•      

Cade carefully drew his Lil' Slammer "Guapo", just like I've watched him do a thousand times, with a barely audible..."thunk", he released the arrow.....

....And I watched the most beautiful, arching, orange arrow flight I've ever seen as his arrow started out of his bow.....rose up above the deer....then dropped right in tight to the shoulder!!!!  Maybe too tight!!!!

I watched the deer buckle, and tear out down the trail into the thicket along side us...taking Cade's arrow with it!

I followed it as best I could as it joined the first deer and they both ran off....last I saw of them were 2 white tails about 60yds. away.....then nothing!

Cade turned to me looking a bit worried he'd hit to high and forward. I told him...."if the arrow hit where I thought it did....the only thing we'll have to worry about is if the arrow went in far enough!"

We talked and thought about the shot.....I told him...."it looked very tight to the shoulder but hopefully not too tight....but....the arrow wasn't flopping as it ran off....and there was no sharp bone sound at impact.....both  good signs that the arrow just might be perfect"....we were both very excited, but still a little worried....

I also told him...."if those deer decide to move back the way the other two deer ran, they'd just about have to come right back by us as the piece of cover they ran into abruptly ended up the way they'd run".

When I tell you we were excited and shaking, it would be a gross understatement.....this was awesome!  Could he have just killed his second deer in 5 days!!  Ho-ly cow!!!

We decided to sit for an hour before we'd get down.  

We saw a one horned spike, but he never came close.

As we sat and talked, it was decided we'd get down, check for blood, walk out back to my parents house so grandma could make us breakfast, then with grandpas help....we'd go back out and look for the deer....sounds about like a perfect deer hunt huh?

45 minutes later...only one deer walked back out of the thicket....another great sign!!

I looked one more time with binos from the tree for blood and this time saw something red!  Oh yeah!!!!

Now it had been an hour so, so we packed up and got down to check the blood....but no further....

One anxious(but a little worried) little bowhunter..
•      

This is where the deer stood at the shot...
•      

Blood after about 7-8yds....
•      

Time to head out for a good breakfast by grandma!
•      

After a hardy pancake breakfast we were back outside putting our hunting cloths back on, and off we were look for Cade's deer loaded with nervous anticipation!!!

The bloodtrail was good, but not great. The blood itself looked good and bright.

Bubbles, another great sign!
•      

Within 30yds. we came upon the arrow...
•      
•      

more coming.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #457 on: November 04, 2012, 11:24:00 PM »
The arrow looked all positve, and showed us that the arrow had indeed made it in "far enough"!
•    
•    

I assured Cade that the deer wouldn't be too far.....I was 100% positive of that now!

He asked to take the lead...
•    

That freed me up a little more to search ahead. A little further along the trail, I showed Cade that the deer was now stumbling and moving erratic....we went about another 5yds and I looked ahead and saw this....
•    

He wasted no time getting to his deer!
•    
•    

As I looked around at the blood that was all around the deer....I saw this...
•    

The Zwickey Eskilite gifted to him from Terry Green,  but not so green anymore....
•    
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #458 on: November 04, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
Cade quickly noticed it had a "bad eye"...
•    

He couldn't wait to roll it over to see where his shot was.....he'd slid it just, and I mean just, behind the shoulder blade....perfect!

One extremely happy, 12 year old bowhunter!
•    

I took this one while he wasn't paying attention as he looked at the "bad eye"...
•    

One extremely happy and proud grandpa!
•    

Then there's me....the proudest father in the world!
•    

Three generations....it just doesn't get any better!
•    

Maybe this just might be the most perfect deer hunting morning I'll ever experience.... who knows what the future brings....but I do know one thing.....I'll never forget the flight of that arrow....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #459 on: November 04, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
Awsome tale and hunting.

Congrats to all three of you!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©