3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Next week he becomes a deer hunter....he did it again!!! Update pg.33...  (Read 13185 times)

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Next week he becomes a deer hunter....he did it again!!! Update pg.33...
« Reply #460 on: November 05, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
Wow,What a thread! Congrats to all of you!!! Time for a nice buck now!
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: November 07, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Thats just plain awesome.  Congrats all around!
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: November 09, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Thank you all so, so much for the kind words!

It does my heart good to hear that we are inspiring other dads with young kids to get them as involved as possible in our wonderful sport....there is no greater reward...no doubt about it!

I've been fielding a bunch of questions about Cade's equipment....

He's shoot a Leon Stewart 48" Lil' Slammer longbow that's about 37-38# at his 22" draw.

His arrows are .800 spine CX Predator II's.  With the insert, 125 steel adapter, and 110 grain
n Zwickey Eskilite they weigh about 480grs if I remember correctly.

Deer #1....
This deer he hit in the ribs and got both lungs, liver, and the arrow went out the other side and almost all the way though at impact.  As it fled it pulled all the way thru....so it was just about a complete pass thru at impact....
•    
•    
•    

While we were prepping for this season I had no doubts, that even at his short draw, his set-up would do the job with good shot selection.

So far. so good!

Thanx again      :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: November 09, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
Deer #2...

On this deer he hit so close to the shoulder blade, until we butcher it up, I can't be sure he didn't nick it. We're butchering tomorrow, so I'll know better exactly if any bone was "nicked".

It was slightly quartering away and it at least went thru the muscle around the shoulder before entering the ribs. pretty sure the arrow just barely made it to the other lung. We only found a shallow slash in the far lung.

Near lung...
•  

Far lung...
•  

We're heading out tomorrow to see if he can do it again     :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #464 on: November 09, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Wouldn`t it be something if he manages an arrow into a rut stinking buck!!!

All smiles here Curt!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: November 09, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Boney....that's what we're hoping for!!

I was in one of the ladderstands we set for Cade 3 days ago by myself because he was at school, and had a beautiful, stocky spike go by at 6yds with his nose to the ground!!

Man how I wished he was with me...I just know he'd a have hammered'um!!

Maybe tomorrow    :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #466 on: November 09, 2012, 09:00:00 PM »
Good luck to you and Cade tomorrow Curt!

Cade's on a roll!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: November 09, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Sending him any luck I might have!!!

Would love nothing more than continuation of this saga!

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #468 on: November 10, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Just awesome Cade and Curt.  Good luck to you two in the days yet to come.

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #469 on: November 10, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Awesome, my boys are inspired by his (Cade's) achievements.  Tell him he is doing an awesome job.
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: November 10, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Well....he came very close to doing it again!!

I swear the boy has become a deer magnet!!

Up early and headed south to our spot in Westchester Co. that's about an hour away.

Dressed in the dark, we headed in....

When we were getting close to the stand, in the red light of our headlights,I noticed something was "different".

There was a tree down, and it looked like it might be ours!

On the way down Cade and I had talked about what damage super-storm Sandy may have done on the property we hunt.  The evidence of the devastation was all along the roads once we got into Westchester Co., even the darkness couldn't hide it from my trucks headlights.....things were a mess!

We jokingly talked about what we'd do if our ladderstand was in a twisted mess under our tree if it had blown down.

Well it almost happened!!

In our red headlights, we could see just how lucky we were....the tree right next to ours, the tree that shares a common base with the tree the stand is in had gone down in the storm!!!

I checked out our stand from the ground, and did so on the way up and at the top....it was fine....we were lucky!

hang on....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: November 10, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
You may want to buy a bigger freezer.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #472 on: November 10, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
This is what the set up looked like back in late Sept. when we set it up....
•  

So anyway...we got set up...

With the air barely moving and the crunchy snow, we knew it would be easy to see and hear anything moving...Cade's 1st bowhunt in the snow.

Sunrise...
•  

My cover tree was no longer...
•  
•  

It wasn't long when Cade whispers.."deer"....a small buck was angling away from us about 150yds away and was soon out of sight.

Not 20 minutes later...again I hear in an excited whisper..."deer"!

A doe and fawn were crossing through a backyard(urban deer hunting) about 200yds away....they were angling to our right, heading east and soon disappeared behind a knob in front of us.

A minute later they re-appeared to the east side of the knob and for whatever reason they turned and headed right for us!

Cade picked up his bow and so did I.  But it was soon evident that they were going to pass right in front of Cade!

Walking at a steady pace, I doe grunted with my voice to stop her as Cade drew, but she just slowed down a bit and Cade released.......just a bit high, and looked like only a few cut hairs off her back....dang it!!!! He'd almost did it again.....I swear he's a magnet!

She walked just in front of the big oak....
•  

We saw a few more deer, nothing close, so after a few hrs. we were ready to climb down....
•  

Just that close to his 3rd...
•  

Good look at just how close we came to losing our stand...
•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #473 on: November 10, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
We went for a walk to check out another area on the property and saw a lot more evidence of the severity of super storm Sandy...
•  

Looks like Cade's sleeping-in tomorrow...so I'll be on my own in the morning.....Maybe I'll get a chance to shoot   ;)    :archer:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Citycop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: November 12, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
This is the best 32 pages I have ever read. I didn't make it through the first three pages before I told my wife that I was getting our daughter a bow for Christmas this year. She just turned three in October. Thank you for this post and good luck to you and Cade for Tue rest of the season.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: November 12, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
Keep the stories coming!  Like Citycop wrote, this has been a great 32 pages.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: November 12, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
Wow! That's really all there is to say. Wow....

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #477 on: November 12, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
Congrats again Cade and Curt.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #478 on: November 22, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
So, so close again yesterday morning!!!

Gun season is in up here where we live in NY, given my past "luck" during gun season, mommy wont let Cade bowhunt up here with the boom sticks. So that leaves us with an hr trip south to Westchester County.

I'd hunted down there the day before and came as close as I've been all season to shooting a mature buck.  Had him close enough, but never did release an arrow!  He was a "tank", huge body, probably 4.5yrs old. The coolest part is I believe he was just a giant 6pt!

So, with Cade off for his Thanksgiving vacation starting Wednesday....we headed south at 4:00am.

Cade got a good nap on the way down, we got dressed, and by 5:45 we were set up.

Not too cold, but definitely deceivingly chilly. Super still and quiet....

An hour into the hunt we hadn't seen anything yet, and for the first time this season Cade was saying he was getting cold. We've been out on colder days, but for whatever reason, today was different.

I explained to him about doing some isometrics, wiggling his toes in his boots and such that I use to stay comfortable on stand.  I also explained that you can't just do it few reps and expect it to work, you have to keep with it with many reps and he would feel the results.

I kept asking him if he was ok and asked if he could stick it out till 9:30....but all but guaranteed him we'd see deer soon.

We also talked about he'd had such a great season so far, but I was disappointed that the rut may have passed him by and he never really got a chance to witness some real rut action.

It seems every time I'm in a tree with him I can't help but think about "next year", and how I want to work even harder to be even better prepared for us to hunt together. I was thinking to myself about how I wanted to make a great effort to try to find some more and better hunting areas for him/us to hunt........

Then it happened!!!!!!

I see deer come flying up the hill below us...1...2...3....4, I see spikes on the 4th deer...then a 5th deer that I didn't see well...

This is all happening behind Cade and he's a little lower than me, but he can still see some of what just happened.....they go out of sight....minutes go by.....

I catch a flash and see that a deer is running back up toward where where I first saw them....a big, big doe...then another deer is coming and I see a rack and Cade can see him too!!!!!

He's a nice 8pt..... then comes the spike from earlier......for the next 15 minutes or so we just stood and watched the show from about 100yds away.  They walked ...ran... stood....whatever the doe did....the 8pt did and the spike just hung back.

Cade says to me ..."daddy if the big one comes close,you take the shot, I know you've been waiting for a buck like that all season"

They were slowly working closer, but still over 80yds away...I couldn't see the doe anymore and  didn't know where the spike was....then all hell broke loose again and I could see the 8pt start running up toward us!

I sharply whispered to Cade to grab his bow as I grabbed for mine, just before the big doe appeared, busting up over the hill about 45 yds away...the spike was hot on her tail and the 8pt didn't like it one bit and was trying hard to catch up!  

They went by 30yds away running hard, turned to the east around a pond, then cut back south and disappeared over the ridge about 100yds away.....Cade was witness to one of nature greatest shows!!!

A few seconds later a smaller deer appeared trotting over toward where they had gone out of sight. It stood on top of the ridge looking. I could tell it was watching what was going on below her.

After a minute or 2, she wheeled around and started running right toward us, something was after her....we grabbed for our bows again!!!!!

Another deer came over the hill and was now going around the pond the opposite way they had gone before, I could see it was the spike and he was now bearing down on us too!

As the small doe ran toward us I asked Cade if he wanted to shoot her....he passed knowing the buck was coming...

The spike slowed to a walk,the back of his mouth pulled back in the typical "gasping look" of a tired deer....he was now 20yds and closing....

I see Cade adjust his feet preparing for the shot....I whisper..."pick a spot and drill him buddy!"

As he neared 15yds and broadside, looking right over his shoulder, I softly grunted to spot him...he stopped....and I waited for the  arrow to fly...........
I look down at Cade and he hadn't even drawn....and the buck was off in pursuit again....

"Why didn't you shoot"????

He says...."Daddy, when he stopped his leg was back and he turned just a little to us, so I wasn't 100% sure about the shot"

I smiled.... he'd made a great decision!

Then I though about it and he was right, the deer had done exactly as he'd said....it was a shot I would have taken without hesitation given the heavy set up I shoot....but with his light equipment...the shot just wasn't there....

He said he had no regrets not shooting.

He continues to make me proud!!!  

The big doe and 8pt never showed again, but we did see a different spike show at about 100yds away to the west of us. We grunted, he looked....

Then Cade asked if he could use his grunt call.  And he did for the first time of the season.

Again, the spike looked, came to us a little, then walked off.  He liked using the call...

A few pix from the morning....

Cade right after he witnessed all the rut action...for some reason, he wasn't cold anymore      ;)    
•    

The flat below the ridge is where the show started...
•    

The pond....
•    

As much as we hated to do it, it was time to leave...
•    

Cade among the shadows checking out where the deer walked by...
•    

Looking for hair from his close encounter 2 weeks earlier.....he found some too...
•    

Packing up....
•      

Quote of the day from Cade.....

"I LIKE THE RUT"
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: November 22, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Good stuff, brother! Thanks for sharing it.   :thumbsup:
God is good, all the time!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©