3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tradgang shs hunt  (Read 1145 times)

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
tradgang shs hunt
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
It's hard to believe my trip to africa has come and gone. It was a great experience that i won't forget. I was hunting with spiralhorn outfitters. I was greeted with a warm handshake at the airport and my african experience began.
My first day started in a blind by a waterhole and within an hour i was watching  animal planet from my blind window.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tradgang shs hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
So while the impala were playing musical chairs and trying to get the best spot around the waterhole. I had to wait multiple times for ewes or young bucks to move out of the way. Finally an older impala posed for a quartering way shot.
 I drew and released and saw my arrow strike the front leg where it meets the body. I thought, oh no. I shot to far forward. I turn to Louis, and he puts out his hand to congradulate me.  

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
We decide to go check out the arrow.I   turn around to see this on top of the hill.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
The impala barely went 40 yards and dropped. The vpa terminator did it's job.
The arrow  struck low, but the blind being below ground level. The arrow went at an upward angle and took out the lungs.
 It's been years since i shook after a shot. My hands and knees were shaking. African game had me frazzled. It was truly exciting.  

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 10:17:00 PM »
Later that afternoon i got to meet another tradganger. Bill and Lori had come to africa for their honeymoon . So it was great to hear about their photo safari around the campfire.
It was surprisingly cold in south africa, with reports of snow in johanessburg.  I never wore shorts the whole trip.  I was glad i brought my wool coat. The fire in the evening was a welcome sight.

Offline David lozzano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 11:48:00 PM »
:campfire:  
Man I'm sure enjoying this! keep writting!
JK traditions Kanati 60" 53#@28
Morrison ILF 56" 48#@28
selway lil magnum 58" 49@27
Black Widow PMAX 60" 51# @ 28
Stalker Jackal 58" 52# @ 28

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
The next day , louis and i were seeing alot of game. Kudu bulls were coming to the waterhole. There was one bull mature enough to shoot but he stayed back and never did come in. There were many large bulls that haven't yet reached maturity.
 A few will defiantely hit 55"plus in a year or two. Louis informed me that it takes 9 years for a kudu to reach his potential and nothing but time and genetics will change his horns.

The third day found us back at the waterhole waiting for kudu. The cows and calves are the first to arrive. Later in the morning, the mature bull decides to come to water. I draw and release, and watch my arrow drop underneath the kudu. He ran a short distance. Ten minutes later he returned and i got another shot.
Not wanting to shoot low , i over compensate and strike the kudu in the spine. Shooting from a blind has really messed with my depth perception. I promptly put a few more arrows into him.
Even with arrows in his chest , it took a few minutes for him to expire.
African game are extemely tough with amazing will to survive. In my trophy photo, there's no smile. I was saddened that i didn't kill him quickly.
 Kudu are magnificient . Their markings are truly unique. The kudu was the one plains game i wanted the most and there he was on the ground.
I was impressed with the penetration of the tuffhead. It fully penetrated the spine to the point that we couldn't see it. I was shooting a 55lbs schafer with goldtip arrows . I used three types of broadheads. Vpa, tuffheads, and abowyer. They all performed.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
Here 's a pic of the blind.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
The fourth day found us at the other blind. Bill and i had changed blinds .There was an impressive impala coming in and Bill was going to try for him.
I got to see my first eland from this blind. Tons of impala and warthog mingled around. We were waiting for wildebeest. We pulled an all day sit. Finally in the evening about  two hours before dark, we spot some wildebeest bedding about 150 yards away.
The wildebeest stayed bedded for an hour and slowly ventured into the bush. Louis then called for the truck to come pick us up. He doesn't like to shoot game to late in the evening because it's too easy to lose it to hyena.
Well, wouldn't you know it. The wildebeest show up. Louis tried to call off the truck but no response. He tells me, you must shoot quickly. No pressure. Without feed, the wildebeest are there for a minute and would quickly leave. Louis picks out a bull and i get ready. Cows are in the way. Now the bull goes to the other side of the pond. Now Louis and i have to change windows. Once again , a calf is in the way. Now i get my chance. Broadside and i'm just about to release when he quarters away . I have time to only move my bow arm because the arrow was already slipping from my fingers.
The arrow strikes the bull in the abdomen working it's way forward. I watched the bull run and buck and marked where i last saw him. Louis tells me it's a gut shot but i indicated that he ran just like a heart shot whitetail. The truck shows up." Hammer", Louis' tracking dog takes off on the trail. Now , as were discussing what to do, hammer returns twice. Louis finds that strange because if the animal were alive he would bark. Louis follows hammer and finds the wildebeest dead about 20 yards from my last mark.
The wildebeest was in a slight depression with his brisket a little  lower that his abdomen. At the shot he tuffhead penetrated through 3 feet of wildebeest striking the heart. The arrow was protuding 18 inches from the brisket. I was thoroughly   impressed .

Offline SilentT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
Great report.  Keep it coming!

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Well the meals were something special. "Tootsie" the camp chef, made some incredible meals. Getting to sample the wild game such as kudu, impala, and my favorite wildebeest. You will not go hungry in camp. Tootsie puts out quite a spread.
The camp was comfortable and the cabins cleaned daily along with laundry. We were well taken care of.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Day 5 found us looking for gemsbok. Bill had seen three at the one waterhole but only the one came in to drink and only presented a quartering on shot.
Since they weren't coming to the water on a regular basis, Louis knew of a pair that hung out on the west side of the property.  No room for a blind but maybe a treestand would work. Well, not really a treestand but a plank placed in the tree. So we hunted the waterhole during the day and saw lots of game but no gemsbok. The evening sit, we went to the plank stand . That evening , no gemsbok, but spotted something in the distance and got ready. Well, it turns out to be a young boy running along a road. I 'm surprised he didn't soil himself when Louis started to speak to him. So that was the end of that evening 's hunt.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Day 5 found us looking for gemsbok. Bill had seen three at the one waterhole but only the one came in to drink and only presented a quartering on shot.
Since they weren't coming to the water on a regular basis, Louis knew of a pair that hung out on the west side of the property.  No room for a blind but maybe a treestand would work. Well, not really a treestand but a plank placed in the tree. So we hunted the waterhole during the day and saw lots of game but no gemsbok. The evening sit, we went to the plank stand . That evening , no gemsbok, but spotted something in the distance and got ready. Well, it turns out to be a young boy running along a road. I 'm surprised he didn't soil himself when Louis started to speak to him. So that was the end of that evening 's hunt.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
:campfire:
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
The following day, spent the morning hunting at the waterhole. Lots of warthog and impala. No gemsbok. We head back for lunch and take a break and a little target practice.
We leave around 2:30 for the plank. It was a sight to see two grown men sitting and standing on a 2x6. The tree was impressive, never have i seen so many thorns. About an hour and a half later, Louis gently nudges me. That can only mean one thing, Gemsbok . The animal quickly came in and presented a 14 yard quartering way shot. Unfortunately i shot it like a whitetail, forgot to aim forward.  

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Now the tracking begins. Jotham the tracker is amazing. I was always a little doubtful about what i read about their tracking ability. Now i'm a true believer, nothing short of amazing. Blood is optional, all they need is a track.

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Well, a short timer later and with a finishing shot i had my gemsbok. The shot took out the liver and thankfully we didn't have to leave the gemsbok overnight.  

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
Hopefully Bill will add his two cents to the story.

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »
man i really have to do that hunt!!

thanks for sharing
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter