3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your Most Memorable Shot  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
Your Most Memorable Shot
« on: August 11, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »
What is the most memorable shot you have ever made?  Any shot.

For me, and I don't know why it sticks out in my mind so, it was on a small 6pt buck back in '99.  I was in my stand overlooking a creek bottom.  He approached from my right and was angling as if to pass behind my tree.  I stood up and got ready for the shot.  When he got to 7 yards, he locked up on me.  Don't know if he caught a whiff of me or what.  I still didn't have a good angle on him.  All of a sudden he spooked and hopped back the way he came.  I drew as he whirled and he just stopped at 12 yards quartering away and looking back.  I can remember "burning a hole" in his side and I could see the arrow spinning in slow motion all the way to the deer.  He made it about 75 yards.  There was nothing spectacular about the shot.  But I believe it was the most natural shot I have ever made, and with the most intense focus.

I'll never forget it.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your Most Memorable Shot
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 01:22:00 AM »
Either the shot that clinched my first NFAA Sectional championship, or the one I stuck in the folded $50 bill at the Compton shoot back in 2002. They had it pinned to the big polar bear at about 100 yards. I was shooting a homemade bamboo-backed osage longbow and wish I could say I hit it on the first shot. In reality though, it probably took me 20 or so. I did retire that wood arrow from the Compton shoot though. I figure it had already earned it's keep.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 01:29:00 AM »
This one comes to mind when you said memorable,

It was in the evening 96 oct. I was watching 3 bucks fighting above me on the mountain. I was in a huge old red oak were i had a permanent stand. These bucks were going at it hard and i was pumped, just waiting on any one of them to come a little closer, all of the sudden they just stopped and looked behind them across the mountain and took off!!
I just knew it was big boy!!
It was a stinking wild dog!!!! He ran those deer all over the place. I thought to myself( Please come by me you stinkin no good thing).
15 mins later i heard something running my way and here he came chasing a deer. Tonge hanging out that poor deer was about done for. I let him pass by, and all of the sudden here came that dog with its nose on the trail! I grabed my bow off the nail and dubble lunged that wild dog!!
Best shot i ever made... Running shot...  :archer:
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 02:55:00 AM »
Hunting shot would have to be the running buck that I took several years ago ala Barry Wensel style.   :thumbsup:  
As far as practice shooting: Several years ago I was at our state bowhunting rendezvous(Michigan Bowhunters) shooting the 3-D course. I was shooting by myself with my little cousin just walking along with me. There was a group of tournament archers, all with their names on matching shirts, that were in front of me. They were shooting the latest greatest compounds and were giving me funny looks for shooting my Hill style longbow. I had to wait a long time at each target and they were not about to let me go ahead of them. After about the 10th target the cockiest one put an arrow in the 10 ring and turned to his buddies and said," If Mr. Longbow can hit my arrow then we should let him go ahead of us."
 Well, I was pretty fired up but I stepped up and proceeded to bust the nock off his arrow! His buddies were rolling on the ground laughing at him and they all shook my hand and let me pass.   :thumbsup:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
Chipmunk about 12 yards in the crotch of a tree with just the head showing. My oldest sister saying (as I drew back) he'll never hit it  :bigsmyl:   <><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »
One of my shots on a squirrel with trad equipment comes to mind. I picked a spot behind the ear of a squirrel hiding in a tree at about 15 yds and let fly. This was early in my traditional journey so I was really surprised when the judo pointed arrow hit exactly that spot. I was sold on trad hunting from then on.

Several times I entered long range dot shoots and had the best shot for a while. At a dollar a shot I would limit myself to 2 or 3 shots. The wheelie boys often spent 15 or 20 dollars each to beat me but beat me they would, eventually.

Offline Mohillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
I was on Kodiak, Is. last year on a blacktail hunt with my buddies from this site(Darren, Greg, John, Allen, and Bill).  It was the last day of a 7 day hunt.  We had all worked ourselves to the bone climbing the nearly vertical sides of the Olga Bay terrain.  I had spotted two deer high up on a little bench and had begun stalking them about an hour ago.  I had been stripping clothes off and stopping to pant every 20-30 yards.  At one spot I sat down beside a little seep, runoff and splashed my face and arms.  As I approached the underneath of the bench I took off my boots and went into full stalker mode.  Inch by inch, step by step I tried to hug the underneath of the bench to keep from being seen as I moved up.  About10 yards from the top I saw a head and set of ears looking at me.  Crap, I done blew it.  I stopped and tried not to make eye contact.  After what seemed like an eternity the deer turned around and moved on up the hill rather quickly.  Now I was pretty beat and disappointed at spooking the deer.  I proceeded to take a few more steps and another deer materialized above me and to my right.  This deer was apparently confused and proceeded to stop approximately 15 yards from me up and to my right, fairly steep angle.  The release was perfect and I saw the arrow all the way to the crease low and behind the front shoulder.  The deer bolted forward about 30 yards and stopped.  After a few sways the little deer tipped over in a patch of brush.  Talk about a rush.  It all seemed like it happened in slow-mo.  Last day, last chance.  The only slight issue I had was that the deer that I harvested ended up being pretty small.  Here in Missouri we call them glove-box deer.  Had no problem dragging it downhill to the beach---with one hand and very little effort.    :rolleyes:    Couldn't be prouder though.  I am having the hide tanned right now by Brian Peterson out of Missouri.  He is a grade A #1 taxidermist. If you want it done right Brian is the guy to do it.  
  :rolleyes:

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
I was hunting just off a power-line at the edge of a wooded lot and had seen a big 8 point cruising the area several times. Unfortunately, most of the time he was on the other side of the power easement. One morning, while in the tree with my back to the easement, I heard a deer making his way up the hill ON MY SIDE OF THE OF THE CLEARING. It was the same seer I had watched so many times across the easement. As he trotted by my stand at about 12 yards, I placed an arrow through a basketball size opening in the brush and made a beautiful quartering away shot on this monster. He ran about thirty yard and fell dead in a small creek across the easement from my stand. By far one of th best shots I have ever made!

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
I hate to see my name  as the last post, but i've got another.
It was oct 04 halloween eve, and i was hunting on a log landing on the steep part of the mountain. There is a huge white oak there that the deer like to feed under. I was 15-18 yards from that tree in a small maple. There is a path in the middle of the landing about 30yds to the right of me. Now my stand is up against the steep part of the bank and there is some other small maples and poplars around the little flat.
At about 1600hrs a big doe came running down the steep path to my right, and as i stood up she bounded over the side.I knew thier was a buck on her tail so i stayed standing..
Sure enough 2 mins later he showed up! Right off the steep onto the flat and skidded to a halt!
I knew he would be at 30yds, I pulled back hit anchor and picked a spot! I watched the barred feathered shaft all the way home!! He wasn't all that big but i'm still proud of that little 13" spread!
  :archer:

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »
I made a shot on a large doe last year that was 27 or 28 yards.  I would have proabably said it was 20 yards had it not been for the guy who helped me drag her out commenting on how long the shot was.  We stepped it off from the tree my stand was in.  I never thought about the distance when I was taking the shot.  It was one of those times that just "felt right" and sure enough it was.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »
:clapper:  To all!

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
A 4x4 elk my son called in for me.  He was 12, using a bow I made myself, 24 yards walking down hill broadside to me.  They move right along just walking!    :scared:  
  I can still see the arc in my mind and the feathers turning.  Thinking - " a little high but looks good, no it's just right, wow that elk is moving, oh no its a little far back, thwump, liver hit and found him still warm next morning.  Whew!

Offline bgleghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
In 91 in alaska going back to camp covey spruce grouse ran out in front of me, I shoot under one at 5 yds. It flew up into a tree, I said to myself(D%#* you you can shoot better than that take that birds head off) I another arrow and shoot the head of the bird sat on the arrow as the rest of the bird fell to earth. Oh yea the bird was about eight yards high so I lost a Kustom King arrow and zwicky delta oh but it was worth it.
Remain close to the Great Spirit.

Offline bgleghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
ment to say the birds head sat on the arrow
Remain close to the Great Spirit.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
45 yrd shot on a Cottontail.Put it right through the heart.I knew it was in there,as soon as i released.Everything just felt perfect.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
I was very inconsistent as a new archer and I was thinking of taking lessons at a local pro shop. As luck would have it I ran into the instructor at a nearby range. When I inquired re: lessons, he replied that he wanted to see me shoot first; ..."but before you take this next shot I want you to FOCUS and imagine that this shot wins you the GRAND PRIZE, THE 25 THOUSAND DOLLARS!.."(gist). I not only hit the bullseye but the VERY EPICENTER of the "X"!!! ..."you don't need any lessons, your form was perfect, it's all in your head, it's just a mind game for you...!"      :D
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Great shots guys.   :thumbsup:
I know everyone on here has a memorable shot to tell about.  Maybe we can get them all to chime in.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
A few years ago I was out stump shooting/hunting with my son, who was 11 at the time.   I spotted an old bottle lying on the logging road about 20 yards away.  The bottle was lying with it's side exposed to us, I took first shot. I came close and the bottle spun like a top, stopping with the opening now facing us.   I told my son to beat that.  He shot and sent a blunt-tipped arrow down the bottle opening and busting out the  bottom.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Took a shot at a squirrel on the ground at about 40 yds. The shot was perfect and just before impact, the squirrel jumped to the tree, dodging the arrow.  I walked over to get my arrow and what do I find, my arrow and a dead squirrel.  Apparently, this squirrel was sitting behind the first and took the arrow right in the head when the first one jumped out of the way.  I didn't even know he was there.  I don't know if I'd rather be lucky than good, but it sure helps sometimes!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©