3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your main reason behind why you "HUNT" with your Traditional Bows?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
Your main reason behind why you "HUNT" with your Traditional Bows?
« on: September 23, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Interested in knowing the main reason behind why you "HUNT" with Traditional Bows.
...Mark

Offline outback2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your main reason behind why you "HUNT" with your Traditional Bows?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
....mainly due to the fact I am so bad with a compound  :)

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
I chose for the thrill. The meat is just a bonus

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
None of the above.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
I don't kill tables....

(sorry, just funnin')
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline caihlen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
none of the above

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
:laughing:
...Mark

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I love the meat but I could do that a lot easier with a gun or compound.  Just not as fun.

I also truly believe once you get proficient with a "trad" bow. They are a better tool for the job. At least Where I hunt.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
I like the simplicity of Traditional hunting. I have shot compound bows with so much crap attached to them that I laugh when I think about it.

I feel I can kill anything I want to hunt with Trad gear. When I quit listening to everyone else I became a much better hunter. KISS {Keep It Simple Stupid}applies to me more than You know.

bretto

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
Bowhunting with Trad gear is basic & simple. I'm a simple man. It is the simple things in life that count. Traditional archery is a way to stay connected to our primitive past, our hunting culture that goes back 40,000 plus years. I like basic, simple things. The smell of a turkey cooking, filling the house with a wonderful aroma. The sounds of children laughing. The flight of an arrow. A sunset. The twinkle in my wife's eye when I make her laugh. The wag of a dogs tail. The taste of my cigar smoke. Honest people who give respect. Vintage bows. Song birds. Cold beer and fresh cut lawns. Grilled chicken. Yes, I'm simple.
 Traditional archery is a link to our past, and a connection to our future. It is only the simple things that we will remember and take with us when our time has ended.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
Never agreed that I needed more of a challenge.  I just love the simplicity, ability to hunt, beauty/value of tradition, and the simple economics of it.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Austin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
So much more fun with trad gear. I want as much meat as i can get, but like OBX said a gun would be much easier if it was just about that.
Thunderhorn Coup Stick 60" 54@28
Brad Moore t/d recurve 62" 60@30

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
I have to admit there have been times I thought about going back to a compound. But I quickly got over it. I know I would kill twice as many deer if I used one. But then again I'd kill even mre deer with a gun so that line of thought does not work out. Remember the old compounds? The ones where the only real advantage was the minimal let-off?  Well the compounds these days are just too far past that point for me to want use one. But a lot of my buddies do and they are all ethical hunters.  Now crossbows are becoming legal in most states and as hard as bowhunting organizations have fought will likely be legal in all states at some point. I wanna distance myself from that crowd. Even non-hunters know the difference. As I have gotten older I have realized that bowhunting is largely a frame of mind.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
To answer your question.."main reason behind why you "HUNT" with your Traditional Bows?"

I just got sick of not liking the draw cycle of compounds. Releases made it even worse and when I finally added a peep, I couldn't take it any more.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
My first deer was shot with a compound. Maybe only the third live deer I ever saw. After that, I never had the want to bow hunt....until I picked up a wood bow

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
I like the feel of trad bows...and I really like to see my arrow in flight..I don't know why but there is something almost magical in watching an arrow fly straight and true in the woods..

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
Don't really know why? Years ago when I started bowhunting all my friends shot compounds.I liked the looks,simpicity of and the craftmanship that went into a custom trad bow,so that's what I chose.Seeing the old Howard Hill short films really had an influence as well. I always seem to do something a little different in hunting though.I used a blackpowder shotgun for duck and goose hunting.I'm also a falconer and hunt squirrels,rabbits and ducks with a hawk.Hunting my way is to please me,I'm not worried about the numbers,how far,the animals score,etc.The new ultra cam bows,lazer sights,trail cams,AR type black rifles,etc aren't for me.Not knocking what anyone uses or why they hunt,if it's legal it's fine with me.To each his own.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Guns and Compounds got to be too easy. I want a challenge when I Bow Hunt. I don't have to kill when I Hunt, just being out there is enough for me.

Offline battman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
I just didn't enjoy shooting a compound anymore.Just wanted more challange I guess.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
My childhood heros were Traditional bow hunters, although it was not called traditional at the time. It was all there was if you hunted with a bow. There is nothing like taking an animal with trad gear. I did the compound thing for a while after I got out of the Marine Corps, and honestly found that it was little more difficult or challenging than a rifle. At least where I hunt and the distances for shots are fairly short. There was no challenge, and i must say that anymore it bothers me greatly that compounds are even called bow hunting. Not that there is anything wrong with them. They are a great hunting tool, but they are not a bow. Much like the inline muzzle loader with optics. The tv shows really turn me off for the most part. They have turned hunting into a business selling goofy gadgets that they should be ashamed to have their name associated with. Compound hunting is just that, bow hunting is something completely different. Thankfully there are those of us here to pass it along. The thrill of a traditional harvest lasts forever. Compound harvests are a dime a dozen. Probably going to far again, LOL. Sorry Terry.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©